Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 02:34:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Google "Bitcoin"  (Read 2054 times)
jacktheking (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 07:05:10 AM

In the past, when we Google Bitcoin the results would be Bitcoin.org with no other additional material. Sometime this or last year, I noticed that Google add in a 'box' which fetch text from Bitcoin.org. Those text explain what is Bitcoin. Just last month or so, Google switched the site to Coindesk.com. I wonder why. Anyone have an answer? I feel that Bitcoin.org explanation is simple and easy to understand. Coindesk.com explanation is long and not easy to understand. Which one do you prefer?

I which I could have the old Bitcoin.org text..

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
louise123

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 07:08:20 AM

In the past, when we Google Bitcoin the results would be Bitcoin.org with no other additional material. Sometime this or last year, I noticed that Google add in a 'box' which fetch text from Bitcoin.org. Those text explain what is Bitcoin. Just last month or so, Google switched the site to Coindesk.com. I wonder why. Anyone have an answer? I feel that Bitcoin.org explanation is simple and easy to understand. Coindesk.com explanation is long and not easy to understand. Which one do you prefer?

It's probably because Coindesk covers most of the news regarding Bitcoin.
Therefor one could be searching for Bitcoin news that Bitcoin.org cannot provide.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
             ▄███▌ █
            ▀▀▀██▄  █
          ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
         █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
        ▄██ ███▄    █
       ▐███▀   ▀█   █
       ████     █   █
      ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
      ▀▄▄███▌      █
  ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
              █  ▄▀
              ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
 ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
  ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄ ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
   ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
  ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
    ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
    ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████ ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
    █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
    ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                               ▄█████
                                                                           ▄███████▀
                                                                           ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
 LIGHTPAPER
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 07:13:08 AM

From my understanding, Google have special algorithm to decide which site is the most relevant for chosen keywords, based on the content, regular update, number of visits etc.
So, Google robots checking regularly Internet sites and chose the best sites for certain keywords, based on their criteria.
Coindesk probably gives more relevant info on bitcoin subject than other sites.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
PenguinFire

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 07:18:20 AM

From my understanding, Google have special algorithm to decide which site is the most relevant for chosen keywords, based on the content, regular update, number of visits etc.
So, Google robots checking regularly Internet sites and chose the best sites for certain keywords, based on their criteria.
Coindesk probably gives more relevant info on bitcoin subject than other sites.

That is my understanding basically as well.  It would be nice if someone in the bitcoin community created a clean, sleek page explaining the basics and were able to get enough traffic for people to get is as their first or second search result.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 07:23:05 AM

it's better that you get coindesk instead, because he can teach you much more with all the news that come there, and anyway i'm still getting the org site, when i type bitcoin
neoneros

Activity: 462

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 09:56:22 AM

Also getting the org site as first result. Then the wiki page. Coindesk is not doing so well ending as the last on the page. Some local language sites are prefered by googles algorithm, which is probably a good thing for google to promote.

I do not think google cares much about what you would expect to come up. They rely on their machines to do the thinking.

virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 10:04:50 AM

it's better that you get coindesk instead, because he can teach you much more with all the news that come there, and anyway i'm still getting the org site, when i type bitcoin

Google searches are personalized. The page you get in one computer when you search Google is not the same page you get on another computer. That is to say, the search results vary based on the computer you use (if you do not login). You can verify this by doing the same search query on different locations in the area.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 12:10:43 PM

I'm okay with both actually. But I guess when bitcoin first started, it would make more sense to provide the simplest explanation and by now, with popularity gaining traction, I don't think it would be so difficult to put into it more words to help people understand bitcoin better.

Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 12:23:48 PM

Google dont place websites by their decision, they use some algorithm to index them. So the one that is highest by that is on top.
What is interesting is that most users that will google  Bitcoin or just any word, will click on 3rd result first. and then on first.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 12:38:30 PM

Google shows different links/ads for different countries and your previous searches. Mine shows an exchange and realtime quote, the bitcoin.org, then some news and coindesk is near the middle of the page.

Doesn't matter the what pops up when people search "bitcoin". Most people have heard of bitcoin already, they are don't search "bitcoin" as a single word any more, probably "bitcoin wiki" or click on the array of search suggestions. Besides, Coindesk is not a bad place to start reading about bitcoin.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 12:50:22 PM

When I google it there is no box and no definition. I know I've seen it before, also sometimes it shows the price at the top. It seems that it is always changing.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 12:50:43 PM

If I Google Bitcoin I see first three adds and then the bitcoin.org website.

Funny thing is that the first website on page 1 seems to be a phising site or something like that as blockchain there is written as blockchaln.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2015, 12:54:52 PM

If I Google Bitcoin I see first three adds and then the bitcoin.org website.

Funny thing is that the first website on page 1 seems to be a phising site or something like that as blockchain there is written as blockchaln.

Yup mine is the same  blockchaLn is the #1 result  Sad How sad is that? A phish site is the top site on google.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 01:20:21 PM
Last edit: May 21, 2015, 07:44:11 PM by Amph

Google searches are personalized. The page you get in one computer when you search Google is not the same page you get on another computer. That is to say, the search results vary based on the computer you use (if you do not login). You can verify this by doing the same search query on different locations in the area.

didn't know about that, but i did not personalize anything, it could be because of the login, if i log out, it would re-index something different, or you are saying that it is just based on ip and nothing else?
goosoodude

Activity: 584
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:31:20 PM

It has been a very long time since more then just "bitcoin.org" shows upon google search results for "bitcoin". I would say at the absolutely latest time bitcoin.org stopped being the only result was when the first article about silk road was published which was in 2011

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

RitzBitzz

Activity: 331

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 03:39:59 PM

Therefor one could be searching for Bitcoin news that Bitcoin.org cannot provide.

And the fact that coin desk payed for the spot.
goosoodude

Activity: 584
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 04:00:45 PM

And the fact that coin desk payed for the spot.
Google does not sell their top search results. In fact they often change their algorithm to prevent people from trying to game the system to get top search results. 

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

x128

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 04:05:18 PM

It is called as Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It depends on many factors. Keywords, backlinks, etc. Maybe CoinDesk concentrated on their SEO? Or as the other user pointed out, results might be tailor-made based on your recent search/browsing history. When I Google 'bitcoin' bitcoin.org is the first result.
JLynn171

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 04:59:49 PM

It is called as Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It depends on many factors. Keywords, backlinks, etc. Maybe CoinDesk concentrated on their SEO? Or as the other user pointed out, results might be tailor-made based on your recent search/browsing history. When I Google 'bitcoin' bitcoin.org is the first result.

yep google pays attention to where you go "in life and on the web" and tailors searches to the person, and advertisements always go up front of line followed by what google thinks is what you first wanted... wikipedia i think is best :-)
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
May 21, 2015, 05:19:14 PM

And finally now, when we google "Bitcoin". The result would be a list of ad sites Cheesy And then after the ads, it would be bitcoin.org.

faucet used to be profitable
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: