Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:33:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to create custom exhaust duct work to remove heat from room  (Read 3001 times)
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 12:36:30 AM

Basically the heat is unbearable for mining in my apartment because with all the miners running it makes it unlivable pretty much.

So without having to permantely shut down the miners for 4 months. I would like to buy and build some custom duct work that can be attached to an S2 and S3.

What I am looking for is pictured below.

However at HomeDepot its not possible to find any duct work that will fit around the S2. All the ones are for home heating and they are all too small.

The size of the S2 is around 44cm by 25cm. Most of the duct inlets they sell are almost half that size.

I was wondering if anyone know a cheap and effective way to be able to attach something to the exhaust of these miners and have the heat be directed outside.

For the S3 it shouldn't be an issue, since I found some 5" vinyl flexiable tubing that I can just attach to the rear fan the issue is with the S2.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 12:40:57 AM

I just bought a portal 9000 btu air conditioner I plan to use in the same way . but this give me more ideas on how to let that  AC  take the hot AIR  out . i have 7 miners run in my house now all most 24/7 adding a S5 in a few day to make it 8 . so i need to do more  in the summer our central air can handle it but it gets to cold for some of the older folks in the house so you know .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
valkir
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 12:41:09 AM

I 3D print my system.

4 120 mm fan of 130 cfm that blow the heat aways from my vertical miners!  Grin

██     Please support sidehack with his new miner project Send to :

1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 12:52:09 AM

Basically the heat is unbearable for mining in my apartment because with all the miners running it makes it unlivable pretty much.

So without having to permantely shut down the miners for 4 months. I would like to buy and build some custom duct work that can be attached to an S2 and S3.

What I am looking for is pictured below.

However at HomeDepot its not possible to find any duct work that will fit around the S2. All the ones are for home heating and they are all too small.

The size of the S2 is around 44cm by 25cm. Most of the duct inlets they sell are almost half that size.

I was wondering if anyone know a cheap and effective way to be able to attach something to the exhaust of these miners and have the heat be directed outside.

For the S3 it shouldn't be an issue, since I found some 5" vinyl flexiable tubing that I can just attach to the rear fan the issue is with the S2.

try lows or one of the mom and pop hardware stores in your area you would be amazed at what you will find in a ACE hardware etc or similar. Over what Home depot offers .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Klaus.

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:30:48 AM

I'm in the same boat, I might try these out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-6-8-10-FLEXIBLE-Aluminum-DUCTING-HOSE-8-25-ft-EXHAUST-DUCT-AIR-VENT-fan-foot-w/120932582252?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3D4dbab5919e1f45dea29df8ef649421cb%26pid%3D100204%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D231508503283
valkir
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 01:44:05 AM

I was looking for that too

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-DBGULP-Gulp-Dust/dp/B0000223WV

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 06:25:57 AM

You can buy from United Refrigeration,they will sell A/C supplies to the public.

They say on the phone they can't,but if you show up in person & talk like you know about A/C,they will  Wink

http://www.uri.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/PrcTransaction

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 06:59:27 AM

Both are very clean setups.  I also am dealing with the summer heat.  It is not a fun thing to have to deal with.

I have a question as far as ducts directly to miner such as picture 2.  Does it do a decent job pushing it through it?   Or does it build up heat behind the unit?

A question on picture 1 might be a dumb question but would that work just pushing air with miners or would you need to use a fan to be able to get air out of it?
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 08:19:23 AM

Basically went to a few stores and for such a simple part it was very hard to find but one location of Home Depot had exactly what I was looking for.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/flexible-vinyl-ducting-6-inch-x-10-foot/968350

Its 6 inch by 10 foot and fits both the S2 and S3 perfectly with no air escaping.

For the S3, all you do is slide it right in. For the S2, you use a few zip ties to get it to hold around the fan grill.

But now at least I can keep them running during the Summer.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 08:19:32 AM

Both are very clean setups.  I also am dealing with the summer heat.  It is not a fun thing to have to deal with.

I have a question as far as ducts directly to miner such as picture 2.  Does it do a decent job pushing it through it?   Or does it build up heat behind the unit?

A question on picture 1 might be a dumb question but would that work just pushing air with miners or would you need to use a fan to be able to get air out of it?

i think the first would have heat build up.  a fan pulling the air out would help.

in the 2nd you should definitely use a nice high power fan to pull the hot air out.  that style setup works very well.
hmblm1245

Activity: 628

View Profile
May 26, 2015, 09:17:02 PM

Very clever. I had a portable AC dumping cold right into my racked up GPUs that looked like this but in reverse.
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:00:33 AM

Exhaust is the key, not inlet AC. That is no good, you must exhaust.
I assure you, I have worked with DDT aka down draft tables for plasma cutting systems, along with nice Donaldson and every other brand of Fume Collector. You must exhaust.

Picture a 1 room apartment with your standard rack of miners with the exhaust end towards open window(s)
You can fill that rack with miners, S3s, S4s, S5s, SP20s, a good mix.
If you blow on the front with your nice expensive AC unit at full blast, the heat still rises, condensation builds up on electronic parts, you have hot and cold spots, and you do not help much.
Now take one decent fan and put it at the window blowing out. BOOM all that miner heat gets sucked / drawn, whatever you want to call it, but it is removed so easy, but you must have the fan in the window. Go one step further and make or buy some duct to semi or fully enclose the exhaust side of the miners, create some pressure to your exhaust fan at the window, BOOM now you are cooking.

There is no place in a mining setup for AC until you have properly handled your exhaust, and even then, the money you spend, the condensation, the hot spots, etc, it is worse that nothing if you do not have a decent exhaust.

I have one fan exhausting out a door, and one fan all the way across my room at a window for makeup air. I've fallen asleep in there it is so cool and that has been on 87 - 90 degree days we've had.
One fan cost me $125 and it is a nice newer one made for commercial use. It isn't "Industrial" we have those at work and it would be overkill.

Please forget the AC, do not use plastic duct, use metal, and it doesn't have to be beautiful, you can tape (use the right tape) the metal pieces together to make duct, and use a few 1X whatever on the outside for a makeshift frame and seriously tape it together until you want to do something better.

You will be much happier and with cross flow inlet - outlet setups like this you will be ambient with a sweet breeze.

Don't believe me? Try it with a couple of fans, one inlet and one outlet, but remember, they do not need to be close. One on one side of the room, one on the other.

Oh if possible keep your exhaust fan high and your inlet fan low. Heat rises. Use the natural way things flow / work to your advantage. Don't fight the flow with AC, help the exhaust with a fan.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
innerchaos

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 01:56:04 AM

Off Topic :  What I am doing is using this guide - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=945775.0 to build a cooler running system.

I am running this in my garage.. and I am cooling my garage with a 12,000 btu portable air conditioner.

On topic :  I am going to take an oven hood over each of my "bread rack stacks" and exhaust it to either the attic space or just outside to a manifolded dryer duct.

I was going to ask an HVAC buddy what the better option would be.. when I get to that stage.

as I only have 6 of these running right now I don't have the oven hoods over the bread racks yet because the Air conditioner can easily keep up....  but that is my intention going forward as I plan on expanding my operation.

I would suggest going to a salvage store for your oven hoods and fan.. and just use a dryer expandable hose for the tubing from the hood to the exhaust fan to suck the heat out.. we have appliance and home re purpose stores here in town. when contractors remodel a home they take the old stuff and these stores sell it cheap.
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 02:11:45 AM

Exhaust is the key, not inlet AC. That is no good, you must exhaust.
I assure you, I have worked with DDT aka down draft tables for plasma cutting systems, along with nice Donaldson and every other brand of Fume Collector. You must exhaust.

Picture a 1 room apartment with your standard rack of miners with the exhaust end towards open window(s)
You can fill that rack with miners, S3s, S4s, S5s, SP20s, a good mix.
If you blow on the front with your nice expensive AC unit at full blast, the heat still rises, condensation builds up on electronic parts, you have hot and cold spots, and you do not help much.
Now take one decent fan and put it at the window blowing out. BOOM all that miner heat gets sucked / drawn, whatever you want to call it, but it is removed so easy, but you must have the fan in the window. Go one step further and make or buy some duct to semi or fully enclose the exhaust side of the miners, create some pressure to your exhaust fan at the window, BOOM now you are cooking.

There is no place in a mining setup for AC until you have properly handled your exhaust, and even then, the money you spend, the condensation, the hot spots, etc, it is worse that nothing if you do not have a decent exhaust.

I have one fan exhausting out a door, and one fan all the way across my room at a window for makeup air. I've fallen asleep in there it is so cool and that has been on 87 - 90 degree days we've had.
One fan cost me $125 and it is a nice newer one made for commercial use. It isn't "Industrial" we have those at work and it would be overkill.

Please forget the AC, do not use plastic duct, use metal, and it doesn't have to be beautiful, you can tape (use the right tape) the metal pieces together to make duct, and use a few 1X whatever on the outside for a makeshift frame and seriously tape it together until you want to do something better.

You will be much happier and with cross flow inlet - outlet setups like this you will be ambient with a sweet breeze.

Don't believe me? Try it with a couple of fans, one inlet and one outlet, but remember, they do not need to be close. One on one side of the room, one on the other.

Oh if possible keep your exhaust fan high and your inlet fan low. Heat rises. Use the natural way things flow / work to your advantage. Don't fight the flow with AC, help the exhaust with a fan.

This man speaks the truth.  AC is nice, but exhaust is king!
hmblm1245

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 02:17:20 AM

Very clever. I had a portable AC dumping cold right into my racked up GPUs that looked like this but in reverse.
Damn I bet that was expensive I bet one of these would be amazing for that though: http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Powered-Window-Air-Conditioner/dp/B00K7KAAZI

No clue how efficient it would really be to do and it would honestly only make up the cost if it lasted a very long time and your power is expensive (which would negate mining)
Well i guess it could be for some. I haz free power. It was just getting the heat and power allocated properly.
valkir
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 04:04:52 PM

Maybe this?
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00H9OVMO8/ref=pe_756190_139664830_em_1p_3_im

With 2 6'' fan in push pull setup.

What do you think?

Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 02:04:27 AM

Well i guess it could be for some. I haz free power. It was just getting the heat and power allocated properly.

But think how many more miners you could be running on free power if you forgo the A/C and use exhaust fans instead!  Cheap/Free power is no reason to ignore efficiency, there is  always something left on the table.

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
hmblm1245

View Profile
May 28, 2015, 04:00:58 PM

But think how many more miners you could be running on free power if you forgo the A/C and use exhaust fans instead!  Cheap/Free power is no reason to ignore efficiency, there is  always something left on the table.

Well in a data center i needed the cooling because there are no windows for exhaust fans. The hot air was returned back into the air handler. Plus all my hardware is...was running off of 240 battery backup/generator power in a tiny room. I had about 6 tons of AC and about 30KVA. I should have taken some pics but ol well. That was years ago.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: