Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:28:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How Much Jail Time Will Ross Ulbricht Receive?  (Voting closed: May 31, 2015, 12:43:05 AM)
20 years (mandatory minimum) - 41 (42.3%)
30 years - 19 (19.6%)
50 years - 5 (5.2%)
life in prison - 32 (33%)
Total Voters: 97

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ross Ulbricht Jailtime Poll  (Read 6994 times)
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:04:12 AM

He did nothing wrong, he never handled drugs directly, he just acted as a medium for the crime to happen, the US government allows for hundreds of people to die each year, do we see Obama being thrown into jail?
but honestly, he is probably gonna get life in prison

Not entirely true. In fact, Ross was actually the first drug seller on there. He grew some Magic Mushrooms and used them to get the Silk Road going as detailed in his writings found on his computer.

But they need proof, not only some letters in his computer..

How much proof do you want? (not to mention him admitting it) There is mountains of evidence against him. Even the LE said the evidence they had and then found on his computer was as good as they ever could get. Open and shut case.

Still he didn't hurt anyone and shouldn't get a life sentence just because he sold drugs. The guy on my avatar surely is a candidate for a life sentence, but a guy like Ross? Cmon...

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Neg

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:18:27 AM

He did nothing wrong, he never handled drugs directly, he just acted as a medium for the crime to happen, the US government allows for hundreds of people to die each year, do we see Obama being thrown into jail?

Not entirely true. In fact, Ross was actually the first drug seller on there. He grew some Magic Mushrooms and used them to get the Silk Road going as detailed in his writings found on his computer.

How much proof do you want? (not to mention him admitting it) There is mountains of evidence against him. Even the LE said the evidence they had and then found on his computer was as good as they ever could get. Open and shut case.

Still he didn't hurt anyone and shouldn't get a life sentence just because he sold drugs. The guy on my avatar surely is a candidate for a life sentence, but a guy like Ross? Cmon...

That's pretty ironic you would make that comparison. As far as I'm aware Manson didn't kill anyone either, just allegedly ordered or influenced others to do so, much like what allegedly Ross did.
AGD
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:24:08 AM

That's pretty ironic you would make that comparison. As far as I'm aware Manson didn't kill anyone either, just allegedly ordered or influenced others to do so, much like what allegedly Ross did.

Only that 6 people were really dead after beeing killed. There are no dead people in Ross' case.

+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Neg

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:26:40 AM

Only that 6 people were really dead after beeing killed. There are no dead people in Ross' case.

That's besides the point. He still arranged the hits so his intent was clear even if it was a sting operation. As long as it wasn't entrapment then he's essentially attempted to have someone murdered of his own volition (though even if it was entrapment he still should have known better and was still willing to have someone killed to protect his interests).
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:35:18 AM

I think the judge is going to make an example out of him, and give him more than a minimum jailtime. The guy deserves it, because he didnt care what was selling there, as long as he
made profits from it. He should get lifetime with hard labor imho.

My female friend (also a mother of a 4 yo girl) acted as a medium aswell , the deal was ~5 grams of weed, and she served 2 god damn years in jail. The girl lost her job, and probably any chance for a good future just because she was a medium for a 5 gram weed deal. I know the law is different per country, but just try to compare this case with Ross Ulbricht; they're gonna skin him alive, trust me

cheers
Neg

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:47:05 AM

I think the judge is going to make an example out of him, and give him more than a minimum jailtime. The guy deserves it, because he didnt care what was selling there, as long as he
made profits from it. He should get lifetime with hard labor imho.

Hard to say. The judge is a white female and Ross is a middle class white kid and has done his groveling and saying sorry the other day so he might get a lighter sentence. I could see the 20 years being handed out. If he was a poor black or Mexican drug lord then I'm sure he'd go away for life. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
AGD
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 11:55:38 AM

That's besides the point. He still arranged the hits so his intent was clear even if it was a sting operation. As long as it wasn't entrapment then he's essentially attempted to have someone murdered of his own volition (though even if it was entrapment he still should have known better and was still willing to have someone killed to protect his interests).

Problem is: When you take LE out of the game, there would be no murder story. Even this murder wasn't intended by Ross at the start. It was his mentor Variety Jones ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=935434.0 ) , who convinced him to order the hit, after Ross wanted only his money back.
I agree with you in the point of his intentions at the time of his decision to actually "kill" people (if it was really proven it was him ---> Maryland indictment still to come ). He should get a bonus round for that one, like 5 extra years on top of 5 ys for the drug dealing. 10 years is a very long time in prison
If you have 6 people dead and someone is responsible: life (or even death sentence). If noone is killed: Give him a few years in a cell together with some tough guys and he will learn some important things about life in general, hrhrhr.

Neg

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 12:00:32 PM

Problem is: When you take LE out of the game, there would be no murder story. Even this murder wasn't intended by Ross at the start. It was his mentor Variety Jones ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=935434.0 ) , who convinced him to order the hit, after Ross wanted only his money back.
I agree with you in the point of his intentions at the time of his decision to actually "kill" people (if it was really proven it was him ---> Maryland indictment still to come ). He should get a bonus round for that one, like 5 extra years on top of 5 ys for the drug dealing. 10 years is a very long time in prison
If you have 6 people dead and someone is responsible: life (or even death sentence). If noone is killed: Give him a few years in a cell together with some tough guys and he will learn some important things about life in general, hrhrhr.

Not necessarily. If it was Variety Jones that suggested the murders and he still went ahead (unless VJ is LE). Even so, he still agreed to the hits and this is something he should have 100% been against especially given his so called libertarian principles. I also think the murder for hire charges will likely be dropped especially considering the corruption of the officers involved with setting them up.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 12:04:01 PM

Was any reason given for them dropping those charges? I never really caught that detail.
Krang

Activity: 167

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 02:10:52 PM

Was any reason given for them dropping those charges? I never really caught that detail.

Probably corruption of the involved with it. Doubt they will have had time to go through what evidence was admissible or not, though I think I may have read the charges are still standing but in a different state so maybe he;ll face that trial some other time. Probably not given how the sting was set up.
opossum

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 02:17:38 PM

Well he will for sure get the maximum that the brought judge can give him imho He has to be made an example of doesn't he or the second he is given minimum sentence the dark web will be flooded with wanna b king pins. what is 20 years when the potential to have earned millions and millions are at stake, the next dude should use his head and read up on different laws around the world and head to the most lenient of the countries. I vote 50 to life.

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀
    ▀████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████▀
      ▀▀██████████████▀▀
TIDEX

Blackbird0

Activity: 207

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 02:21:21 PM

Sorry for picking on you, but a lot of people have problems with what constitutes "proof" and "evidence."

"Evidence" is a term of art. Evidence can be "direct evidence," or "circumstantial evidence." Let's say Defendant Dave is charged with murder, specifically killing Victim Valerie. Witness William sees Dave pick up a gun, aim it at Valerie, and shoot her. This is what we would call "direct" evidence.

Now, let's say William is in one room by himself, and the door is closed. He hears a gunshot coming from the other side of the door, and he opens it up, and sees Dave with a gun in hand, and Valerie on the floor, bleeding. This is what we might call "circumstantial" evidence.

You can use both direct and circumstantial evidence to "prove" a case, but there is no specific type of "proof" required for most types of criminal cases. Ulbricht's case is not one of these special cases.

Imagine further, that we have a missing person. It'll be Victim Victor. Victor has been missing for many days. Defendant Daisy walks into a police station, and says she'd like to speak to a police officer. She says that she strangled Dave, she buried him in a park, she brings the police to the park, and shows them Dave's body. Is that "proof"? Sure, it seems to be that a confession corroborated by some physical evidence is pretty good.

Imagine yet further that we have the same missing person. The police search Daisy's house and then find a letter. The letter says, "I strangled Dave, his body is buried in the park, over here." The cops go the park and find the body. Is that enough? Sure, I'd think so too.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 04:14:48 PM

My female friend (also a mother of a 4 yo girl) acted as a medium aswell , the deal was ~5 grams of weed, and she served 2 god damn years in jail. The girl lost her job, and probably any chance for a good future just because she was a medium for a 5 gram weed deal. I know the law is different per country, but just try to compare this case with Ross Ulbricht; they're gonna skin him alive, trust me

This is just insane. Entire life destroyed for possessing just 5 grams of cannabis? Was she involved in selling weed for a profit? At least be happy that this incident didn't happened in Indonesia, Singapore or Saudi Arabia. Had this occurred in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, then the following would have been the end result.

AGD
Legendary

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:48:53 PM

This is just insane. Entire life destroyed for possessing just 5 grams of cannabis? Was she involved in selling weed for a profit? At least be happy that this incident didn't happened in Indonesia, Singapore or Saudi Arabia. Had this occurred in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, then the following would have been the end result.

USA is not too far away from the countries you named in terms of punishment.

zeeshsnrehman2

Activity: 168

Where is Teddy?

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:51:17 PM

like aaron schwartz he will be considered as an example to prevent future great silk road

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1074532.msg11485808#msg11485808

Summary - Mr.Bean 2.0   Picture/Text
Name:   Mr.Bean 2.0
Activity:   0
Position:   Brand new
Date Registered:   Today at 12:48:26 AM
Last Active:   Today at 12:54:08 AM
zeeshsnrehman2

Where is Teddy?

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 05:53:14 PM

know your facts. its a crime for raping and murdering his daughter and niece... nice way of spreading the FUD against the country and i suppose "Islam" was the target? as usual

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 06:07:27 PM

know your facts. its a crime for raping and murdering his daughter and niece... nice way of spreading the FUD against the country and i suppose "Islam" was the target? as usual

I don't know WTF you are talking about.

In Saudi Arabia, possessing even minute amounts of soft drugs can get you the death penalty. So far this year (in 5 months), Saudi Arabia has beheaded close to 90 people, and most of them were given the death penalty for the possession of drugs.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/26/saudi-arabia-passes-execution-total-2014-88th-death

And I never mentioned Islam or anyone's name anywhere. Who is the guy who raped his daughter and niece?
moriartybitcoin (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

★777Coin.com★ Fun BTC Casino!

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 06:10:38 PM

Whatever his sentence,  I think the 'kingpin charge' will be overturned on appeal - eventually.  I wish Ross the best ..

zeeshsnrehman2

Where is Teddy?

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:36:17 PM

In Saudi Arabia, possessing even minute amounts of soft drugs can get you the death penalty. So far this year (in 5 months), Saudi Arabia has beheaded close to 90 people, and most of them were given the death penalty for the possession of drugs.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/26/saudi-arabia-passes-execution-total-2014-88th-death

And I never mentioned Islam or anyone's name anywhere. Who is the guy who raped his daughter and niece?

Was she involved in selling weed for a profit
the photo you produced was that of a man.

So far this year (in 5 months), Saudi Arabia has beheaded close to 90 people, and most of them were given the death penalty for the possession of drugs.

so its ok to have drugs then?

Neg

View Profile
May 27, 2015, 07:51:04 PM

Whatever his sentence,  I think the 'kingpin charge' will be overturned on appeal - eventually.  I wish Ross the best ..

I doubt it. Why would they overturn it? He was caught redhanded.

He's probably referring to the crime of the person being beheaded in the image.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: