Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:59:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Disreputable BTC Users  (Read 4092 times)
Monster Tent

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 07:04:53 AM

These lists are pointless because everyone in BTC is questionable. You may as well call it "questionable internet users"

c4n10 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 07:16:07 AM

These lists are pointless because everyone in BTC is questionable. You may as well call it "questionable internet users"

Not everyone is questionable, in fact there a number of users which the majority have found to be quite trustworthy.

This list is not intended to be all-inclusive nor wholly-indicative. This list is intended to be a helpful guide for new users to learn which users may be trying to take advantage of them and HOW they might be taken advantage of (the latter is the reason why I ask for links to evidence for why the user can not be trusted).

While we may not be able to protect all new users from being taken advantage of by any and/or every scammer, the idea is help reduce the amount of incidents by exposing users who commit fraud and the techniques they use to commit said fraud.

Really, the only people I can see arguing with a thread dedicated to exposing frauds and their techniques would be the frauds themselves...

*eyes you suspiciously*
c4n10 (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 04:28:17 PM

We should be careful that such list does not rely too much on forum names.  As mentioned about Barak Obama, it would be so easy to slightly misspell name or use other name, like "theymous" (ok, bad example) to fool people.  If there is other information, it should be part of list record.

Well, I know for me personally, if I see a name that is similar to another name that I know to be a scammer, I will probably avoid doing business with that person or at the very least be VERY cautious about dealing with that person...
Borzoi

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 09:17:00 PM

We should be careful that such list does not rely too much on forum names.  As mentioned about Barak Obama, it would be so easy to slightly misspell name or use other name, like "theymous" (ok, bad example) to fool people.  If there is other information, it should be part of list record.

Well, I know for me personally, if I see a name that is similar to another name that I know to be a scammer, I will probably avoid doing business with that person or at the very least be VERY cautious about dealing with that person...

I was thinking problem other way.  If there is "trusted" person (who is "no one!" Smiley) malefactor could adopt forum name similar to trusted name.  Therefore, theymos/theymous (again, I say bad example) could be easy exploit to nickname-based system.  Link and backlink to Facebook, LinkedIn (better), or other site would be better.  Better still if other site has "authority" of many links to other people.

Is like PirateAt40.  Don Shrents could not reach father without SNA.  Trust people more if parents can be called.  Not trust completely, for as rule says,"Trust no one!"
c4n10 (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 09:28:42 PM

I was thinking problem other way.  If there is "trusted" person (who is "no one!" Smiley) malefactor could adopt forum name similar to trusted name.  Therefore, theymos/theymous (again, I say bad example) could be easy exploit to nickname-based system.  Link and backlink to Facebook, LinkedIn (better), or other site would be better.  Better still if other site has "authority" of many links to other people.

Is like PirateAt40.  Don Shrents could not reach father without SNA.  Trust people more if parents can be called.  Not trust completely, for as rule says,"Trust no one!"

A very interesting point. One I had not considered... When I can get one or two more confirmations from senior members on the trusted names mentioned in this post, I will start the new thread with trustworthy users and make a LARGE note of that at the top to verify that the s/n's match EXACTLY before doing business with that user...
c4n10 (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 03:55:31 PM

Bumping so I can get a couple of senior members to confirm the trustworthy names mentioned above to start the new thread...
c4n10 (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:37:39 AM

Bumping because new names have been added.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:59:22 PM

One note -- his last name is actually Nollan.

One of his email that I know of (he uses/used it for Paypal) is andrew.nollan@gmail.com

Signature space available for rent.
c4n10 (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 07:04:06 PM

One note -- his last name is actually Nollan.

One of his email that I know of (he uses/used it for Paypal) is andrew.nollan@gmail.com

I have edited to reflect the proper spelling and added his email, thanks!!!
safadosotherson

Activity: 9

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 08:30:35 PM

Too bad about getbitcoin.  He was one of the good ones.  Oh well.  Have to take my business to Canada...
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462

I heart thebaron

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 06:01:21 AM

Before anyone get's their panties in too much of a ruffle....KNOW THIS: I am DonShrents.

c4n10 (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 06:19:44 AM

Before anyone get's their panties in too much of a ruffle....KNOW THIS: I am DonShrents.

Roll Eyes
leckey

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 10:59:34 AM

Would like to know what they've done to be deemed disreputable. Purely for curiosity's sake!

c4n10 (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 03:39:44 PM

Would like to know what they've done to be deemed disreputable. Purely for curiosity's sake!

That's what the links are provided for next to the names.
jeremy

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 12:36:28 PM

you will find many shady and questionable characters in some old threads like:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=103623
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91252.0

I just read those today, after an old timer pointed them out to me. Surely there are more threads like those.

You can also find there some people who demonstrated rather very good judgement. This forum has lots of data for historians. I wish someone made sure that all the older posts are preserved for posterity.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: