Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 12:12:38 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MATTHEW N. WRIGHT IS A SCAMMER  (Read 7076 times)
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:12:14 PM

he offered the bet as a hedge against pirate losses
and a lot of people didnt sell their pirate accounts for
 75% -50% -25% etc because they thought they were
sufficiently hedged either way

Not only: I even bought some FOO.PPPPT at 50% to hedge in case I lose my bet with Matthew. And now they are at 0.05 BTC each.

So much for:

No funds changed hands...as far as we are aware.

You can be sure that some money changed hands, so much that I am now wondering if Matthew is a Pirate's shill.

Lets take a lesson from Matthew and not rush to judgement.

WUT? Which lesson? That the BTC scene is a playground of scammers-trolls? And would that not be a judgement?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:13:50 PM

Boycotts are fine.  Name calling is obviously fine on BCT.  However, I still lack clarity on the scammer tag.   MNW obviously, much to his pleasure, provoked a mob, but does that make him a scammer?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:14:40 PM

No funds changed hands. 

Obviously folks on this board have a lot of choice words for him but scammer does not seem to fit if we are defining the term scammer as someone who is fraudulently in possession of someone else's good or funds as a result of a trade or deal in which one party did not uphold their end of the agreement.  "Possession of funds or goods" being the operative term.

That is the most ridiculous requirement.

So if I asked you to make a logo and then didn't pay you I shouldn't get a scammer tag?  No funds changed hands (even though that is the entire problem).
What if you and I agreed to a CFD so I could hedge my businesses exposure and the price of BTC skyrocketed so you decide to not honor it.  Once again no funds changed hands.

How about keep it simple:
"If you make an agreement and break it you are a scammer".
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:17:09 PM

No funds changed hands. 

Obviously folks on this board have a lot of choice words for him but scammer does not seem to fit if we are defining the term scammer as someone who is fraudulently in possession of someone else's good or funds as a result of a trade or deal in which one party did not uphold their end of the agreement.  "Possession of funds or goods" being the operative term.

That is the most ridiculous requirement.

So if I asked you to make a logo and then didn't pay you I shouldn't get a scammer tag?  No funds changed hands (even though that is the entire problem).
What if you and I agreed to a CFD so I could hedge my businesses exposure and the price of BTC skyrocketed so you decide to not honor it.  Once again no funds changed hands.

How about keep it simple:
"If you make an agreement and break it you are a scammer".

I'll give you a $100,000,000,000,000,000,000 if you can spell Mississippi backwards...

...awaiting scammer tag...

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:22:28 PM

Would I have to present evidence of my work for you that I created the logo that I did not get paid for?
Have those betting with Matthew provided evidence they were caused financial harm by entering into an obviously unrealistic bet?

I'm not defending MNW.  I'm just requesting clarity.  Right now its a mob raging against against MNW's obvious incitements.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:23:49 PM

Theymos,

Can we get a clarification on the Scammer tag. Mathew N Wright may have welched on his bet but did he actually scam any one.  Is Mathew N Wright actually in possession of any of the funds from the bets?   If not I would think he can be labeled a welcher, but not a scammer.    A little clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Really?

He didn't upheld his end of a contract.

Correct.  But there are a LOT of people on this board who would be labeled SCAMMER  right now if that is now the definition of scammer.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:27:20 PM

If I promise rain for tomorrow and ask to be labeled scammer, if not, I shall be labeled scammer regardless of people taking decisions based on my prediction or not.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:28:08 PM

Theymos,

Can we get a clarification on the Scammer tag. Mathew N Wright may have welched on his bet but did he actually scam any one.  Is Mathew N Wright actually in possession of any of the funds from the bets?   If not I would think he can be labeled a welcher, but not a scammer.    A little clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Really?

He didn't upheld his end of a contract.

Correct.  But there are a LOT of people on this board who would be labeled SCAMMER  right now if that is now the definition of scammer.

Who? Did anyone request a scammer tag?  Were they denied?
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:29:37 PM

No funds changed hands. 

If he would have accepted payments if he had won, then he is a scammer.  Undoubtedly had he won a lot of people would not have paid.  They now missed their chance of becoming scammers Smiley

Waging thousands of bitcoins without escrow is stupid.  Waging *with* escrow is probably also stupid, but that is another discussion....
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13092

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:30:19 PM

Theymos,

Can we get a clarification on the Scammer tag. Mathew N Wright may have welched on his bet but did he actually scam any one.  Is Mathew N Wright actually in possession of any of the funds from the bets?   If not I would think he can be labeled a welcher, but not a scammer.    A little clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

He clearly reneged on his contract, which caused several people to suffer losses. If he had won the bet, he would have received BTC even though he had no intention of paying if he lost. He's a scammer.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:30:37 PM

If I promise rain for tomorrow and ask to be labeled scammer, if not, I shall be labeled scammer regardless of people taking decisions based on my prediction or not.

Yes. 

Simple solution is to not promise rain (or anything else you are unable or unwilling to deliver).  Of course to be labeled a scammer requires someone you scammed to request it.  If nobody requests the tag then you won't get it.  One way to avoid someone requesting it is to work out some agreement (compensation for loss, repayment plan, etc).
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:33:36 PM

Wagering is rarely enforceable in court, depending on your jurisdiction.  So what Theymos is saying by labeling MNW a scammer is that wagering IS enforceable on Bitcointalk.org.  Correct?  Theymos, could you please confirm.

Thanks.

Don't you see the tag? What the fuck are you on about?

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:35:39 PM

I do see the tag.  That is why I am asking.  

So as I understand it there are two additional ways to get the scammer tag.

1.  welch on a bet.
2.  Ask for it.

edit: (I was not previously aware of these)

If there are any others I'd be curious to know that too.

Thanks.
amencon

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:41:21 PM

This is even up for debate?  BCB trolls good.

The worst (and best) thing about bitcoin are the people involved.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 06:47:46 PM

Whoever got scammed should boycott all of Matt's bitcoin products.  Ellet, Bitcoin Magazine, etc.

Why limit it to whoever got scammed?  I'm boycotting his products because he supports Zhou Tong.

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
Francesco

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:50:42 PM

Not a very good scammer either.

...why do I keep reading this in Fluttershy's voice?  Cheesy (much like "not a bad problem to have, if you ask me")

Oh, I bet she'd try to understand, or at least pity him

Quote from: Fluttershy
There, there. You're not a bad troll, you just made a bad decision. All you have to do is find a less serious forum to play in.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:52:15 PM

Theymos,

Thanks.

The scammer tag isn't appropriate at all, but there is no "Unethical Scummyfuck" tag.

There has already been a request for a "douchebag" tag.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105100.80

Maybe that would be appropriate here as well.
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:54:27 PM

MATTHEW N. WRIGHT was a scammer, MATTHEW N. WRIGHT is a scammer and MATTHEW N. WRIGHT will always be a scammer.

And then there was that thing with the 17-year old asian girl posing in lingerie he was trying to push too...

Creepy guy, but at least everyone should be vaccinated against even talking to him now.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:57:51 PM

Theymos,

Thanks.

The scammer tag isn't appropriate at all, but there is no "Unethical Scummyfuck" tag.

There has already been a request for a "douchebag" tag.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=105100.80

Maybe that would be appropriate here as well.
I was thinking of asking in Meta for an Atlas tag to be created as well.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
korila

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 06:59:15 PM

MATTHEW N. WRIGHT was a scammer, MATTHEW N. WRIGHT is a scammer and MATTHEW N. WRIGHT will always be a scammer.

And then there was that thing with the 17-year old asian girl posing in lingerie he was trying to push too...

Creepy guy, but at least everyone should be vaccinated against even talking to him now.

must be talkin about posadoll model
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: