Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 05:29:03 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I placed my 4 s3+ outside  (Read 5807 times)
Bananana

Activity: 481
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 08:12:50 AM

Honestly just leave them outside and check the weather from time to time to make sure it will not rain.

The S3 and the PSU aren't worth that much to begin with.

You are better off leaving them outside then leaving them indoors turned off - which makes no money what so ever.

Every month that goes by is a huge risk of difficulty going higher or price going lower. Make the money now while you still can.

Anyway, isn't selling those miner on ebay is even better then running them with all those risk? Probably get a lot more back then the miner can mine for the whole life.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 03:54:55 PM

Honestly just leave them outside and check the weather from time to time to make sure it will not rain.

The S3 and the PSU aren't worth that much to begin with.

You are better off leaving them outside then leaving them indoors turned off - which makes no money what so ever.

Every month that goes by is a huge risk of difficulty going higher or price going lower. Make the money now while you still can.

Anyway, isn't selling those miner on ebay is even better then running them with all those risk? Probably get a lot more back then the miner can mine for the whole life.

IMO the point of mining is to further decenterlize the network and MOST IMPORTANTLY give you a "voice" of where bitcoin is headed.
AtomicStrike

Activity: 380
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 08:29:02 AM

To remove the dust you can use small air compressor one time at week.
Bananana

Activity: 481

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 04:10:36 PM

I believe it would be much easier to buy some air filter sponge or sheet to reduce the dust. Just make sure it doesn't reduce the fan pressure too much.

hZti

Activity: 980
Merit: 642

Magic

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 10:56:34 PM

I don't think dust is a real problem, but if it rains in portugal there will be very much water in the air because it will vaporize if it hits the hot ground. Dust can be easily removed with compressed air but if there is some corrosion the you can throw your miner in the bin.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 07:03:07 AM

I believe it would be much easier to buy some air filter sponge or sheet to reduce the dust. Just make sure it doesn't reduce the fan pressure too much.

this is the problem, this kind of dust is smo small that you need a filter with very tiny holes like a colander for rice, high chances that something  like this will limit the cfm

he can add another fun near the exit of the tube, for directing the dust to another direction, could be a possibility
hZti

Activity: 980
Merit: 642

Magic

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 10:44:49 AM

With all the filters added you can simply place it inside without filters and will get better temps Wink
lovenlifelarge

Activity: 676
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 06:43:18 PM

I've bought a few used S3's that have been buggered up thick with cigarette smoke, pet dander, and household dust.  I couldn't image that the outdoors would have been worse for these S3s.  It took some time with an air compressor to get that gunk out and I can still smell the cigarette residue coming out of these S3's exhaust.

Get a scented candle and burn it for a while every now so the smell goes thru the miner.

U should find that it will slowly remove the smoke smell..

I used to get the same thing with used pc's..

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄███▀▀▀      ▀▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀                ▀▀██▄
▄██▀                      ▀██▄
██▀                          ▀██
██▀                            ▀██
██▀    ███████        ███████    ▀██
▄██   ██████████████  ██████████   ██▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▄███████▄▄     ██
██     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ███████▀▀▀     ██
██         ███████  ███████         ██
██         ▀██████████████▀         ██
▀██         ▀████████████▀         ██▀
██▄         ████████████         ▄██
██▄         ██████████         ▄██
██▄                          ▄██
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀██▄▄                ▄▄██▀
▀▀███▄▄▄      ▄▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
    ███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
█████             █████
█  ██             ██  █
███████████████████████
    ████████████████████▄
██                ████▄
██                ██████▄
██                ████████▄
██                ██████████▄
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██                ████████████
██                ██        ██
██████████████████████████████
██                          ██
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 08:41:02 PM

With all the filters added you can simply place it inside without filters and will get better temps Wink

Didn't you read the original post? He can't because he lives in a very hot climate. Makes his living situation unbareable.
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 12:11:32 PM

You can build an a net around it to get good ventilation. You could use one of those anti-dust nets used in construction for protecting scaffolds. They're pretty cheap too.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
mmmaybe

Activity: 462

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 12:49:27 AM

Why can't you have it inside...?

As we all have insane electricity bills already, I bought an Air Conditioning machine to my mining room. Works great with the window a little open; at the winter I turn it off and leaving the door to the room open and use it to heat the house Smiley

SmartIphone
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 01:01:09 AM

22 years mining for 0.5BTC ?
Dont you think for the maintenance ?
AtomicStrike

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 04:41:42 PM

droizs
How feel is your AntMiners now?
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2133
Merit: 1398

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 09:05:17 PM

I ran my zeus scrypt miners outside for months last summer...never had a single problem (they were sitting outside underneath my roofed porch)...they made way to much noise to attract any animals and my house is pretty isolated so no issues from thieves.  Had some dust buildup but thats about it...survived through heat, torrential downpours, etc.

Miners are rather simple devices, as long as the cooling is not clogged and water does not directly touch the components they'll be fine.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
AtomicStrike

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 05:22:37 AM

Miners are rather simple devices, as long as the cooling is not clogged and water does not directly touch the components they'll be fine.
You are absolutely right.
noel57

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 05:49:08 AM

Early morning dew and afternoon dust can affect the miner, is it entirely safe from thieves?

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 07:16:47 AM

I ran my zeus scrypt miners outside for months last summer...never had a single problem (they were sitting outside underneath my roofed porch)...they made way to much noise to attract any animals and my house is pretty isolated so no issues from thieves.  Had some dust buildup but thats about it...survived through heat, torrential downpours, etc.

i don't know some time if you leave the dust to accumulate too much, that thing become like sticky send, it could impact the circuit nonetheless, if PCB tracks, are covered too much , the connections between the chips will be reduced

so dust need to be removed before it become that thing, i usually remove it every month at max to prevent that
redhunter

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 06:35:33 PM

As we all have insane electricity bills already, I bought an Air Conditioning machine to my mining room. Works great with the window a little open; at the winter I turn it off and leaving the door to the room open and use it to heat the house Smiley

Good thought.  I've got two portable A/C units in my miner room and I was only focused on the cost of cooling in the summer without offsetting this cost with the savings I get in the winter due to lower heating bills.  My home is all electric - no natural gas - so winter heating costs are about the same as summer cooling.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 04:10:40 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2015, 04:31:28 PM by notlist3d

Good thought.  I've got two portable A/C units in my miner room and I was only focused on the cost of cooling in the summer without offsetting this cost with the savings I get in the winter due to lower heating bills.  My home is all electric - no natural gas - so winter heating costs are about the same as summer cooling.

I highly suggest trying to use fan's.   Compare AC to fan's and a exhaust you will save money.    In my new summer area I am using fan's to push fresh air in, then luckily since area put in a great gable fan to exhaust it + some attic vents.

If your lucky you can use evaporation AC.  But it's based on weather if these work in your area effective.  So i was not lucky enough with this.  So using fan's and it's been a great summer.

I have been fine tuning it need to document end result.   But to show the fan's here is examples in my thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1020826.0 .
droizs (OP)

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 03:50:36 PM

droizs
How feel is your AntMiners now?

It already past more than 1 month and I still didn't installed any air filter or did any clean up.
The miners have some dust deposited on top of the shell  and some dead insects near. It did rain 2/3 days but the miners were well protected from it and they are OK.
The temps now are between 45Cº and 50 Cº.
I'm waiting for the arrival of a new PSU to open and clean them all, and after putting them again in the wardrobe I will install the air-filter.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: