Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 12:34:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you expect from the halving in 2016?  (Read 20551 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 06:57:26 AM

If bitcoin won't be obsolete or worse by then, I expect the seller pressure to be halved soon after the block halving.
Several months after this, price should peak at 10 - 20 times the level at the moment of halving.

I hated you as a bear.  Smiley You were mostly right, though. I pretty much agree with your view about the effect of the halfing.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 07:29:12 AM

this is math, man... it's not my logic, you can't say 4% based on a subtraction of the inflation rate from 8 to 4, that's not correct

if you want real numbers then you should compare the total coins that will be less dumped(presumably 1800) with the total coins(including the mined coins) that will be dumped each day, or that are dumped each day

if for example the total coins dumped per day is 10k coins(i doubt is so high) per day for now(including the 3600 mined coins), with the halving this will lead to a reduction of almost 20%(10k-1800), which mean that the demand will go up by roughly 25%

this assuming that the demand will remain the same until halving, so even if the demand will remain the same and the price the same, with the halving alone the price will increase by 25% which mean around $360

I don't know what you mean by "total coins dumped per day". The total volume of coins traded per day is in the 100s of thousands, and a change by only 1800 per day is not going to have a noticeable daily effect, though it will have a long term effect.

traders are dumping and buying 100k per day? can you point me the source of this? i don't really care about the demand and supply but only the supply so i can compare better the reduction in the "mining supply"

if it's indeeded 100k per day than ok 1800 is nothing to that lower than 2% and will cause a 4% up in demand like you said
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 09:04:37 AM

I expect exaggerated expectations.

Zoom out!

I expect a 10x price increase. It might start a couple months before and take a long time after having day to play out fully (like last time it took half a year or so). Right after having day itself I wouldn't be surprised to see a sizable dip even.

a 10x increase from current price? nah, surely not. i expect such predictions to come from newbies and other people who are not realistic. definitely not from a member as you.
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 09:29:45 AM

That is a bod prediction in my opinion. i guess the price will not increase that much. it will double from the current price at most within the next year.

Zoom out!

I expect a 10x price increase. It might start a couple months before and take a long time after having day to play out fully (like last time it took half a year or so). Right after having day itself I wouldn't be surprised to see a sizable dip even.
g1974ak

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 10:47:53 AM

What do you expect from the halving next year regarding price development of Bitcoin?

Currently, the price is very stable although there are created around 3k new Bitcoins every day. In my opinion, the price stability results by a constantly increase of demand. When the supply will be halved in 2016, the price should be grow linear if the current demand stays the same.

What do you think?

Maybe you are right but I don't think so. You think that the price will go high because of the halved production of bitcoins in a block? What make it special to be counted? I don't think that there is nothing special on it. Even if it will be few bitcoin produced in the same time. I don't think that the price of bitcoin it is fixed by the demand of it. To very few people use bitcoin. I think that the price of bitcoin depends for to many other factors one of the most important is speculation. And the speculation have nothing to do with the produced bitcoins.
Auxi

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 12:34:57 PM

The large rocket
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 02:00:02 PM

this is math, man... it's not my logic, you can't say 4% based on a subtraction of the inflation rate from 8 to 4, that's not correct

if you want real numbers then you should compare the total coins that will be less dumped(presumably 1800) with the total coins(including the mined coins) that will be dumped each day, or that are dumped each day

if for example the total coins dumped per day is 10k coins(i doubt is so high) per day for now(including the 3600 mined coins), with the halving this will lead to a reduction of almost 20%(10k-1800), which mean that the demand will go up by roughly 25%

this assuming that the demand will remain the same until halving, so even if the demand will remain the same and the price the same, with the halving alone the price will increase by 25% which mean around $360

I don't know what you mean by "total coins dumped per day". The total volume of coins traded per day is in the 100s of thousands, and a change by only 1800 per day is not going to have a noticeable daily effect, though it will have a long term effect.

traders are dumping and buying 100k per day? can you point me the source of this? i don't really care about the demand and supply but only the supply so i can compare better the reduction in the "mining supply"

if it's indeeded 100k per day than ok 1800 is nothing to that lower than 2% and will cause a 4% up in demand like you said

He's talking about transaction volume and number of unique transactions per day. Both of those are available on blockchain.info if you trust their stats. Don't get too excited. I used to play at trading and would make 50-100 unique transactions a day shifting coins around. The exchanges shift around masses of coin and sometimes move 50k or more coins in a single transaction. Mining farms paying out their miners shares are making transactions. Miners may only generate 1,800 coins but those coins are split and paid out to thousands of people. Remember, if you simply transfer coins from a cold wallet to a hot wallet or vice versa without spending any coin that's a transaction. I would guess that transactions where someone is actually spending coin on something (not day trading or shifting around) is about 10% of the transaction volume.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 02:26:58 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2015, 02:42:00 PM by molecular

Zoom out!

a 10x increase from current price? nah, surely not. i expect such predictions to come from newbies and other people who are not realistic. definitely not from a member as you.

I know it's a bold prediction. Predicting outcomes everyone thinks are likely is lame... We'll see...

Edit: Yes, From Current price. so 3000 USD/btc

Edit2: if my Prediction comes true, people will probably deny that it was an effect of the halfing. Like last time they will come up with explanations that make for a better sorry. Like cyprus, lol.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Natalia_AnatolioPAMM

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 02:37:33 PM

Halving will halve the steady supply. If demand stays the same, we will go up !!!

It's quite unlikely to happen I guess.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 03:00:13 PM

Maybe will go high but not for the halved fact. Was not verified when was the first half of amount (from 50 to 25). At least i don't remember this. So have no reason to be verified with this second halved.
Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 03:01:45 PM

We exactly 1 year before the Halving block reward , Price should rise but if miners give up on mining then it will go down and die like hell. but I guess if halving is done miners will ask for more as a price which will make price rise , so depends on what those Miner farms owners decide to do . they have our future

fearlesscat10

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 03:06:25 PM

Zoom out!

I know it's a bold prediction. Predicting outcomes everyone thinks are likely is lame... We'll see...

Edit: Yes, From Current price. so 3000 USD/btc

Edit2: if my Prediction comes true, people will probably deny that it was an effect of the halfing. Like last time they will come up with explanations that make for a better sorry. Like cyprus, lol.

I am also hoping for a big price increase (lol aren't we all), but isn't 10x a little drastic? I think it'll maybe be around 2x to 5x.

tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 03:37:28 PM

Actually, researchers should examine it and should predict whether halving has really got such an impact on price  Smiley

Halving will halve the steady supply. If demand stays the same, we will go up !!!

It's quite unlikely to happen I guess.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3262

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 03:46:45 PM

If you go to http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/, you can see daily exchange volumes for most exchanges. The total today is about 100k BTC, but it doesn't include all exchanges.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 04:30:36 PM

At some point this year all of the stability recently combined with the upcoming halving is going to likely work together to create quite a violent bull market.

The next bubble will be incredible.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 04:47:24 PM

bull market is good ... when gov. can not freeze the value (like in gold now ...).
because low value ... permit to peoples to buy (like me).
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 05:42:11 PM

At some point this year all of the stability recently combined with the upcoming halving is going to likely work together to create quite a violent bull market.

The next bubble will be incredible.

Yes, a bull run is long overdue. It has been around 1.5 years since the crash from the ATH.
When it does happen, I hope I hold on tight.  Grin

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 05:57:12 PM

You're looking at it the wrong way, I think. It doesn't matter how many coins are flipped by traders each day. What matters is the net demand and net supply.

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 06:03:45 PM

Zoom out!

It's not that bad to dream about unicorns every now and then, but hey! Maybe it would happen in the future, but next halving it will be highly unlikely. I expect just a 100% - 200% at most price rise if you would ask me. That is already a realistic guesstimate by me.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3987

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 06:18:05 PM

When something is widely expected in the financial markets, it is unlikely to occur.
Could be an antibubble before or bubble afterwards or beforehand.

If some serious fund wanted to push bitcoin upward, it would already be at 10K, no need to wait for halving.
Bitcoin issuance is ~1mil/day currently when AAPL and GOOGL traded $10-20bil worth in one day recently.
$1mil/day is nothing for even a medium size fund.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: