Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:44:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: my c1 sprung a leak  (Read 1881 times)
rkinnin (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 09:23:12 PM

i am still waiting on the coolant.  This was my first device, ever, using coolant.  I wasn't sure if I could or couldn't mix so I looked online for the exact same coolant, which shipped yesterday, finally. 

So for a week now I am down 1Th.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 11:01:02 PM

i am still waiting on the coolant.  This was my first device, ever, using coolant.  I wasn't sure if I could or couldn't mix so I looked online for the exact same coolant, which shipped yesterday, finally.  

So for a week now I am down 1Th.

I think it would depend on coolant.  I have tested mine with two different ones (one was cheaper).  I had no issues and have been running since week 1 or 2 of batch one.

That being said keeping it the same coolant is not a bad idea.   With a cooling system like C1 that is not being closed-loop I recommend having a little bit of backup gear.   I was like you once with the downtime.  I currently have extra coolant, little tubing, some cheap fans in case,  and one pump as standby.   Luckily I have not needed them but they are there incase.
rkinnin (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 03:55:41 AM

even though I don't have the unit running there is still coolant in the unit.  .....and tonight I found that the patch didn't work, darn it.

it seems like the epoxy didn't hold, it came off like a used band-aid.   Grin

tomorrow I am going to Gorilla Glue the leak and see what happens.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 04:00:25 AM

even though I don't have the unit running there is still coolant in the unit.  .....and tonight I found that the patch didn't work, darn it.

it seems like the epoxy didn't hold, it came off like a used band-aid.   Grin

tomorrow I am going to Gorilla Glue the leak and see what happens.

Dang hope next one works better.  I think the key is finding one that say's it does not need to be dry when hardening.

With a little bit of wetness coming out from leak that could throw a wrench into a lot of epoxy's. 

This idea will sound crazy but if you have a sporting goods store that sales a little bit of boating gear it's likely to have some  different solutions that water does not effect as much.  I know I have one chain store that has this and they have a very small section of different sealants that some of them are made with water in mind.
heslo

Activity: 1153
Merit: 931

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 10:02:02 AM

The reason I think the epoxy didn't hold is you still had coolant leaking out...

Drain the unit, dry the area then re-apply. I'm sure it will be fine then! Smiley
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 10:12:59 AM

The reason I think the epoxy didn't hold is you still had coolant leaking out...

Drain the unit, dry the area then re-apply. I'm sure it will be fine then! Smiley

The leak is definitely what is stopping epoxy.  But he is trying to save coolant Smiley

Normally being able to dry in wet conditions would not be a issue.  Hopefully OP finds a solution around him that dry's when wet.
rkinnin (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 12:38:03 PM

The leak is definitely what is stopping epoxy.  But he is trying to save coolant Smiley

Normally being able to dry in wet conditions would not be a issue.  Hopefully OP finds a solution around him that dry's when wet.

agreed on all parts.   Undecided

the water weld was supposed to handle wetness, I thought.  "water weld"?  deceptive name if you ask me. 

if the gorilla glue doesn't work i'll need to drain it for sure and then bring the cap to a local plumbing store to find a replacement. 
macsheadroom

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Computer Service Tech

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 10:50:43 PM

Haven't you guys ever used JB Weld?
I have fixed tons of things with JB Weld, from Laptop hinges to fuel injectors. There is a quick version also just not as high strength.

1FQkmrwQ7yf9MKGLsAUhY2jgMT8WjepwL7
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 03:37:42 AM

Marine Tex is the bomb for me  Wink

http://www.marinetex.com/

I think Ace hardware sells it,yepper  Grin

http://www.acehardware.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=marine%20tex&origkw=marine+tex&f=Taxonomy/ACE/19541496&sr=1

It's more liquid than solid though.......

Still gotta be dry & free of coolant,but it works REALLY well  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
rkinnin (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 09:29:08 PM

the water weld was supposed to handle wetness, I thought.  "water weld"?  deceptive name if you ask me. 

if the gorilla glue doesn't work i'll need to drain it for sure and then bring the cap to a local plumbing store to find a replacement. 

A full 24 hours later and the Gorilla glue worked.  However, I while I didn't drain the whole unit I did take one hose off and removed some.  That took the pressure off that leak....so I think that helped a great deal. 

Thanks to all who contributed ideas to the task at hand.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 10:22:52 PM

A full 24 hours later and the Gorilla glue worked.  However, I while I didn't drain the whole unit I did take one hose off and removed some.  That took the pressure off that leak....so I think that helped a great deal. 

Thanks to all who contributed ideas to the task at hand.

Glad to hear it all worked out.   I'm hoping that made the difference with the coolant not pushing and leaking through the glue.

Stop back in a week or so and let us know, but I'm hoping it's fixed up Smiley.
rkinnin (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 12:50:55 AM

bad news.....another leak!   Sad

this leak is on the plastic on the pump. 

Is there another pump that veteran c1 owners would recommend?? 

In the meantime I am back to the Gorilla Glue!

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 12:59:03 AM

bad news.....another leak!   Sad

Sorry to hear that.  I have had 2 of these pumps working for a long time - http://www.ebay.com/itm/381066536924

If you are in US that one ships from US so it's quicker on getting it there.  Depending on your country if getting it from China is quicker there are other options to get this same pump from China.

It's a solid pump and actually is a tad more power the the original syscooling pump. (IE pumping faster).  Below is a pic of my C1 using it:

rkinnin (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 02:27:34 AM

bad news.....another leak!   Sad

Sorry to hear that.  I have had 2 of these pumps working for a long time - http://www.ebay.com/itm/381066536924

If you are in US that one ships from US so it's quicker on getting it there.  Depending on your country if getting it from China is quicker there are other options to get this same pump from China.

It's a solid pump and actually is a tad more power the the original syscooling pump. (IE pumping faster)

I like the idea.....Thanks!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: