Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:45:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gregory Maxwell threatens to sell his bitcoins and find other things to work on  (Read 7920 times)
cambda

Activity: 759
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:34:47 AM

Fuck him! Let him sell them all. We'll be better without him.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Haber

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:35:51 AM

Everybody is selling their coins these days.
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 12:44:34 AM

I am personally concerned that this would matter to anyone. Before I continue, I want to point out that gmaxwell is a great asset to Bitcoin and the community. However I don't think it should matter that one person might stop working on Bitcoin as the open source and decentralized nature of Bitcoin means that it should not rely on any one person or any one small subset of people. If the community is concerned that any one person is going to stop work on Bitcoin then we have a bigger centralization problem then anyone realizes.

It is not uncommon for people to leave a large company in the middle of a project and the project most go on. It would be unusual for no team members on a project to not get some kind of a job offer while working on a long term project.

With all that being said, I do think his concerns should be somehow addressed. I don't know if this means making major changes to the proposed fork, making minor changes or making an argument to him that this will not cause further centralization.  

watch out, if you say the project you might confuse someone.
I was just using a project with a large company as an example. Bitcoin is not a project as it has no endpoint, at least hopefully it won't.

does a project have to have a specific endpoint to be defined as a project?
My understanding projects in the business world is that they have a defined beginning and a defined end point. A business system on the other hand is something that is ongoing.

A few examples of a project would be the building of a house, the design of a specific model year car or the rebranding of a company.

A few examples of a system would be selling widgets, producing cars or internal quality controls.

You could say that the design of the forked Bitcoin protocol would be a project (it would be finished once the changed protocol is accepted by the network) while Bitcoin itself would be closer to a system (ideally "Bitcoin" would never end).

People are concerned about his potential departure because of his large amounts of contributions he has made to Bitcoin over the years.

Awesome we have different definitions of a project. Smiley

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
bitbankcoin

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:46:17 AM

Another misleading title. Undecided
i agree with you!
celestio

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:54:43 AM

Fuck him! Let him sell them all. We'll be better without him.

Wow, look at his github contributions before saying insults like that. Without him Bitcoin would be nowhere technically. I agree with Mr Maxwell, increasing the blocksize limit does nothing to fix the actual problem, it just prolongs it, as 20mb still can't scale to anywhere near VISA levels, and eventually that limit would have to be increased again and again(Which would be much harder and dangerous assuming that Bitcoin grows exponentially in the future, hardforking it would be a huge deal).

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
defaced
Legendary

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 04:55:24 PM

Gregory Maxwell should leave this project and I dare him to sell all his coins.

If you're standing in the way of the widespread adoption and success of Bitcoin you're a liability to this community and we're better off without you.

finally, someone is picking up what I was putting down. haha.

Fortune Favors the Brave
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 04:59:23 PM

If you're standing in the way of the widespread adoption and success of Bitcoin you're a liability to this community and we're better off without you.

says the guy pumping an altcoin.

defaced
Legendary

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 05:06:02 PM

says the guy pumping an altcoin.

way to fallacy, one day youll have a real argument... it doesnt seem like that is today though.

Fortune Favors the Brave
digicoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 06:31:14 PM

We need him. However, Gregory Maxwell can quit if he wants. There are a lot of competent developers out there. His lack of hand-on experience in capacity planning for scalable systems makes me sick. We need more competent developers, not just him.
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 08:58:40 PM

He should get rid of his beard too.

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 10:21:22 PM

well we doesnt need developers that say to community i could sell all my btc bla bla well do it let who believe and really support bitcoin get them,and all days bitcoins changes hands soo we dont know how many bitcoins a single user has ..we see some wallets around 50000 bitcoins others have more others less well all waiting a raise to sell .
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 12:59:38 AM

when any of u programmers prove u have any legimate skills to me besides Maxwell of course Smiley

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
defaced
Legendary

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 02:53:09 AM

one does not simply get rid of the beard. Now you have gone too far.

Fortune Favors the Brave
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 03:26:58 AM

Agree.  It's not even grey so what's the point?  Being clean-shaven also might make cypherdoc like him.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 08:15:22 PM

well he has vision and some words may be wrong understood but on this point he said he could sell his bitcoins already without no one knows it yes that is why bitcoin is bitcoin you cant know who is the btc you getting  lol
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 08:56:29 PM

He probably had a bad day. He's working a lot on BTC and he just announced all those cool blockstream features. Coding wizards are human too.
If he ends up selling he'll regret doing so so he knows better.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 09:18:21 PM

Total scare tactic, essentially threatening to lower the price of the coin if he doesn't get his way. We have made large strides on through this debate and there is no need for childishness like this.

Hasn't he threatened this before? Or was this someone else? Whoever it was they said they had about 150 coins so it's not going to destroy life as we know it.
imdk

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 01:50:35 AM

So basically this thread is full of "idea guys" who can't and never have written a line of code in their lives insulting one of the foremost technical developers/experts of Bitcoin. Oh yeah, and also wishing for his departure. Sorry boys, but ideas only get you so far. People with technical skill who know what they are talking about and can program are actually needed. This is a massive problem that has been persistent in the Bitcoin community for years now ("Someone else will build or implement it!" "Oh, he implemented it for us, but we disagree with his viewpoints, fuck him and everything he's ever done for us!" "Someone else will build it again!" On and on it goes...)
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8418

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 01:53:00 AM

Egads, what a boggling thread. (I will not be sending a christmas card to the mean person that sent me this link! Smiley ).

Go read the context.  Someone was asking me why I'm not doing the some PR blitz to influence people's thinking.  My response was that I don't care to win people over, that if Bitcoin's survival depends on constantly making rescuing it with a political sales pitch and a mass market PR campaign then I think that would mean that its already a failure.  I don't actually believe it is a failure but I'm not frightened of it becoming one, though I'd think it would be a bit sad to have wasted many years chasing a windmill and for the world to lose this opportunity;  but that said, I can just leave if it goes the highly centralized route, and go work on something that still has a prospect of success-- there are just too many important things that need to be done.  I don't think there is anything "threatening" or anything about that.

I care a lot about defending, protecting, and nurturing the system, but not so much that I feel compelled to go around trying to reprogram people to get my way.  To even admit that doing so would be possible is an admission that the system cannot work.   So I'm happy to continue to just communicate frankly in the forums and means that I normally communicate in and see how the experiment pans out. Smiley
siameze
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 10:26:48 AM

Egads, what a boggling thread. (I will not be sending a christmas card to the mean person that sent me this link! Smiley ).

Go read the context.  Someone was asking me why I'm not doing the some PR blitz to influence people's thinking.  My response was that I don't care to win people over, that if Bitcoin's survival depends on constantly making rescuing it with a political sales pitch and a mass market PR campaign then I think that would mean that its already a failure.  I don't actually believe it is a failure but I'm not frightened of it becoming one, though I'd think it would be a bit sad to have wasted many years chasing a windmill and for the world to lose this opportunity;  but that said, I can just leave if it goes the highly centralized route, and go work on something that still has a prospect of success-- there are just too many important things that need to be done.  I don't think there is anything "threatening" or anything about that.

I care a lot about defending, protecting, and nurturing the system, but not so much that I feel compelled to go around trying to reprogram people to get my way.  To even admit that doing so would be possible is an admission that the system cannot work.   So I'm happy to continue to just communicate frankly in the forums and means that I normally communicate in and see how the experiment pans out. Smiley

In my opinion, reddit has never been the center of highly critical thinking. Lately r/bitcoin seems to be a game of "follow the leader" - much like you mentioned it appears they only wish to reprogram folks to get their way. I also agree that insane and annoying sales pitches do more harm than good.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄