Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:33:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoincharts.com alternative?  (Read 2061 times)
chsados (OP)

Activity: 662
Merit: 545

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 08:05:49 PM

I'm sure most of you have noticed by now that bitcoincharts is down.  Does anyone know of any alternatives?  Looks like sierra chart is dependent upon the website hence making it unusable as well.

We had a kernel panic within the MD layer of the linux kernel. Service will be restored within the next 7 days.

In the meantime, you could assume the price to be either $0.01 or $100 so we can see some interesting rallies and have fun until you can look at boring numbers again Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:50:53 PM

also #bitcoin-market feed on IRC and a load of other stuff relies on this site.

that message seems way weird.  this seems like a pretty important site to the bitcoin community to have out of commission for 7 days.

I don't know of any alternatives.

what happens to the historical data that the exchanges are pumping out this week?  is anybody else capturing it?

giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:27:08 AM

I you need API to get BTC/fiat exchange rates, I would suggest http://blockchain.info/api/exchange_rates_api
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 02:08:37 AM

bitcoin.clarkmoody.com

this is a good charting site
inbox

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 03:33:58 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 01:55:36 PM by inbox

toffoo

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 05:01:36 AM

Looks like the site is back up.  We can collectively exhale now.

toffoo

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 11:11:49 PM

Backup restore in progress.

Looks like I spoke too soon.  Back down again.

Irrespective of whether bitcoincharts.com continues with troubles or returns to its reliable old self, I think this downtime is an ideal moment to reflect on these important issues:

1.) as I asked earlier, if/when bitcoincharts.com goes down, is anybody else capturing trade history from the exchanges?

2.) also as I alluded to earlier, bitcoincharts.com is a pretty important site to the bitcoin community to just go dark for hours or days at a time.  All sorts of other services rely on it for exchange rates, historical data, etc. and as far I know if it goes dark no one else is capturing it.

Needless to say, when Bitcoin really takes off the sole provider of consolidated market feeds and historical data could be a pretty hot commodity.

Perhaps the community should rally behind it, list it on the GLBSE or something, and make it into the mission critical service it should be.  It's a scary single point of failure for the entire bitcoin community if they go dark for long (or for good).

freewil

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 11:14:40 PM

Perhaps the community should rally behind it, list it on the GLBSE or something, and make it into the mission critical service it should be.  It's a scary single point of failure for the entire bitcoin community if they go dark for long (or for good).

There's no reason why this needs to be the sole provider of this data. I encourage anyone who is interested in this type of project to start working on an alternative now, whether it be open source or not.
chsados (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 01:27:55 AM

Perhaps the community should rally behind it, list it on the GLBSE or something, and make it into the mission critical service it should be.  It's a scary single point of failure for the entire bitcoin community if they go dark for long (or for good).

There's no reason why this needs to be the sole provider of this data. I encourage anyone who is interested in this type of project to start working on an alternative now, whether it be open source or not.

quoted for the truth...

maybe we should start asking what features are lacking on bitcoincharts?  how can we improve it?
chsados (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 02:20:45 AM

looks like its back up!

but the question remains...should we rely on one central source for information?  im willing to donate $40 in BTC to get it going.  GLBSE would be a great way to go.  but the question remains...what other features would we like?  im looking at the people who use sierra charts?  are there other indicators in SC that are lacking in bitcoincharts? 
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2012, 05:19:07 AM

looks like its back up!

but the question remains...should we rely on one central source for information?  im willing to donate $40 in BTC to get it going.  GLBSE would be a great way to go.  but the question remains...what other features would we like?  im looking at the people who use sierra charts?  are there other indicators in SC that are lacking in bitcoincharts? 

I'm willing to put in the work to get something like this up. I have the server capacity and experience. All I need is a collection open source charting tools. Anyone know what bitcoincharts uses?

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
chsados (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 08:54:04 PM

looks like its back up!

but the question remains...should we rely on one central source for information?  im willing to donate $40 in BTC to get it going.  GLBSE would be a great way to go.  but the question remains...what other features would we like?  im looking at the people who use sierra charts?  are there other indicators in SC that are lacking in bitcoincharts?  

I'm willing to put in the work to get something like this up. I have the server capacity and experience. All I need is a collection open source charting tools. Anyone know what bitcoincharts uses?

these look promising
http://sourceforge.net/projects/chartsy/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclipsetrader/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/humaitrader/
chsados (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:05:26 PM

have chartsy installed now - have no idea what to do from here -will dabble next weekend

EDIT: this looks like it would be easier to implement bitcoin into  http://qtstalker.sourceforge.net/ (linux only though)
fishface

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 09:14:09 PM

I would love more advanced bitcoin charting tools, and would be willing to contribute btc to a project to help make it happen. At least something where I can draw my Fibonacci retracements and extensions and shit  Grin
Seal
Donator

Activity: 848
Merit: 1078

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 02:48:10 PM

looks like its back up!

these look promising
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclipsetrader/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/humaitrader/

that looks amazing, anyone get it working with mt gox that would be cool!

I should have clarified. I need some web based open source charting classes to do this. Otherwise it wouldn't be browser based.

DefiDive - Filter the noise
A clean crypto asset management terminal
realcoin

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:47:19 PM

Looks like I spoke too soon.  Back down again.

Is Bitcoincharts.com the only one for a Markets Overview like this?

I am not "Realcoin REC"! There were no REC when I sign up the forum...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: