Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:57:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: China did not ban Bitcoin, and the fork will not be a huge problem!  (Read 653 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:04:07 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2015, 04:00:49 PM by Bit_Happy

Almost 1.5 years ago, this forum was buzzing with dozens (perhaps hundreds) of threads, and many thousands of posts, warning about "OMG, CHINA IS BANNING BITCOIN!!!"
What happened?
No China ban, and some of the largest BTC mining farms on Earth are now based in China.

Now, we have dozens (perhaps hundreds) of threads, and many thousands of posts, screaming that "OMG, The FORK and 'GAVINCOIN' Will KILL BITCOIN!!!"
Does anyone think that a solution will be agreed upon and Bitcoin will thrive?

Edit:
Adding this from post #8

FYI: Here is an example of a hard-fork with a successful ending:
Now that it's over: The blockchain FORK explained for regular users.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1a51xx/now_that_its_over_the_blockchain_fork_explained/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2015, 03:36:04 AM

I do. It doesn't matter what Gavin does, since his only method of forking without fucking everything up involves getting consensus through first the majority then the super-majority. Either the network disagrees with him and his fork does not get consensus and the fork fails, or the network agrees and there is consensus to fork. Either way, the Bitcoin community will decide together whether to fork or not and Bitcoin will still thrive.

I also recommend reading this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1076501.0

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:14:46 PM

Bitcoin will thrive, one way or another, as a currency, as there are simply too many people with too many coins involved, and nobody wants to risk it.

As for the rest, the forking "issue" will eventually sort itself: we as miners, merchants, users just have to vote.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:20:13 PM

Don't forget where we are, people here like to turn a small issue into a huge problem. If they properly read everything intead of the title only, they would known that by now.
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:29:03 PM

Don't forget where we are, people here like to turn a small issue into a huge problem. If they properly read everything intead of the title only, they would known that by now.

Actually, that is what I thought before looking deeper.
There are serious issues with getting a solid consensus, so the drama and fighting could drag on for a lot longer.

I do. It doesn't matter what Gavin does, since his only method of forking without fucking everything up involves getting consensus through first the majority then the super-majority. Either the network disagrees with him and his fork does not get consensus and the fork fails, or the network agrees and there is consensus to fork. Either way, the Bitcoin community will decide together whether to fork or not and Bitcoin will still thrive.

I also recommend reading this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1076501.0

Bitcoin will thrive, one way or another, as a currency, as there are simply too many people with too many coins involved, and nobody wants to risk it.

As for the rest, the forking "issue" will eventually sort itself: we as miners, merchants, users just have to vote.

I agree that there will eventually be a positive outcome.   Smiley

fox19891989

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:39:24 PM

I wrote about the truth of China bans btc, but now i hardly find my posts about my views because i couldn't find that thread. So i have to write it again.

About china ban, it is real, but the gornvenment bans btc as a fiat or payment ways, Chinese central bank announced that btc is not fiat money, it is a virtual money like game coins, or virtual goods.

They ban the deposit to Chinese exchanges' COMPANY BANK ACCOUNTS, but the bosses of exchanges are not stupid, they use personal accounts to handle deposits and withdrawals, the other way is that they have many agents to handle customers' deposit, customers deposit money to the agents, and agents transfer the money to exchanges accounts, so it is legal.

But last year deposit banning really hurt btc price, it went down from 600 to 200 usd, everyone was panic because deposit ways are more strict, and now they get less deposits before banning.
a fool and his money ...

Activity: 616
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:44:34 PM

Almost 1.5 years ago, this forum was buzzing with dozens (perhaps hundreds) of threads, and many thousands of posts, warning about "OMG, CHINA IS BANNING BITCOIN!!!"
What happened?
No China ban, and some of the largest BTC mining farms on Earth are now based in China.

Now, we have dozens (perhaps hundreds) of threads, and many thousands of posts, screaming that "OMG, The FORK and 'GAVINCOIN' Will KILL BITCOIN!!!"

No, there will be only one solution: two chains

Because Gavin behaves like a baby and all his fanboys are from the US government.
Most people will use not-Gavin-Coin

Everyone is currently preparing for the two chain solution.
Bitcoin is going to sell off now very far and pretty much lost all chances of coming back big again because people will not invest in it again after this. It's over. Say "goodby" to your money and "thank you" to Gavin.
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:56:56 PM

What happened?

No, there will be only one solution: two chains

Because Gavin behaves like a baby and all his fanboys are from the US government.
Most people will use not-Gavin-Coin

Everyone is currently preparing for the two chain solution.
Bitcoin is going to sell off now very far and pretty much lost all chances of coming back big again because people will not invest in it again after this. It's over. Say "goodby" to your money and "thank you" to Gavin.

The "one true solution" leaves a completely abandoned old fork and one new chain which is the real Bitcoin. To get there, all the major players need to agree in advance, which is the heart of the current problem.

FYI: Here is an example of a hard-fork with a successful ending:
Now that it's over: The blockchain FORK explained for regular users.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1a51xx/now_that_its_over_the_blockchain_fork_explained/

Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:07:33 PM

I wrote about the truth of China bans btc, but now i hardly find my posts about my views because i couldn't find that thread. So i have to write it again.

About china ban, it is real, but the gornvenment bans btc as a fiat or payment ways, Chinese central bank announced that btc is not fiat money, it is a virtual money like game coins, or virtual goods.

They ban the deposit to Chinese exchanges' COMPANY BANK ACCOUNTS, but the bosses of exchanges are not stupid, they use personal accounts to handle deposits and withdrawals, the other way is that they have many agents to handle customers' deposit, customers deposit money to the agents, and agents transfer the money to exchanges accounts, so it is legal.

But last year deposit banning really hurt btc price, it went down from 600 to 200 usd, everyone was panic because deposit ways are more strict, and now they get less deposits before banning.

Chinese exchanges are thriving, if the reported numbers are reasonably correct.
CNY currently has a 'stunning' 2/3 of the volume and the two largest exchanges:
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/volumepie/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: