Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:08:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Blockchain.info the only online wallet where you have control over your keys?  (Read 661 times)
Bizmark13 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 06:07:46 AM

Because from what I've read, this definitely seems to be the case.

Are there any other online wallet services that offer users the ability to control their own private keys? If not, then why not? To me it seems quite obvious that this is the main reason why Blockchain.info is so popular and why it's not recommended to keep your coins online UNLESS that online wallet happens to be Blockchain.info. In fact, there is a popular saying that "if you don't have the private keys, then you don't own any bitcoins".

That isn't to say that there aren't other security issues that need to be taken into consideration even when using Blockchain.info (such as the risk of phishing attacks, for example). Nevertheless, having users control their own private keys means that even if the site shut down, your coins would still be safe and that's the biggest danger when it comes to storing your coins online.

So what other online wallets are there which offer this feature?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2015, 09:59:43 AM

https://www.coinbase.com/multisig

No other online wallets AFAIK.

Bizmark13 (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 11:05:01 AM

https://www.coinbase.com/multisig

No other online wallets AFAIK.

Ah, thanks for that link. I completely forgot about Coinbase. I was never really into them that much since they were always more geared towards US-based customers and I've heard stories of them suspending accounts because they were associated with gambling. Sad
sandy47bt

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 01:59:43 PM

GreenAddress.it also has multi-signature address
But, i heard their service isn't too good
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 03:38:50 PM

why Blockchain.info is so popular and why it's not recommended to keep your coins online UNLESS that online wallet happens to be Blockchain.info. In fact, there is a popular saying that "if you don't have the private keys, then you don't own any bitcoins".

This is one of the worst pieces of advice I've ever heard. blockchain.info is probably one of the worst online wallets, even though you own the keys.
From their failed ARG generators, the accounts being compromised despite having 2FA on, their insecure way of emailing wallet backups, you should consider moving your coins if you use this piece of garbage.
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 08:52:40 PM

Rushwallet also lets you control your keys.
https://rushwallet.com

(I'm not connected to it)

Use with caution as it is based on Javascript and might be vulnerable to some known bitcoinjs bugs in earlier versions of the library.

See for example this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=581411.msg6355998#msg6355998

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 09:06:02 PM

https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Look through the list of wallets on bitcoin.org. "hive" let you own the keys.

blockchain.info is probably one of the worst online wallets, even though you own the keys.
From their failed ARG generators, the accounts being compromised despite having 2FA on, their insecure way of emailing wallet backups, you should consider moving your coins if you use this piece of garbage.

It's not that bad. I think it bc.i wallet do not email wallet backups anymore and email authorisation is now required when a new device access your wallet identifier. It is much safer than a few months ago.
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 09:52:13 PM

https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Look through the list of wallets on bitcoin.org. "hive" let you own the keys.

blockchain.info is probably one of the worst online wallets, even though you own the keys.

It's not that bad. I think it bc.i wallet do not email wallet backups anymore and email authorisation is now required when a new device access your wallet identifier. It is much safer than a few months ago.

Utter bullshit. They do email wallet backups, and the email authorisation has been bypassed many times. The security is abysmal, and even though you may get refunded, I see no point risking it.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1068566.0
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 12:45:28 AM

Although I wouldn't personally store my coins on BC.info or any other web wallet for that matter, they do offer very useful free API for web developers. Their receive payments API is probably their best service, they will generate a unique address for each of your customers and payments are immediately forwarded to any address of your choice (cold paper, trezor, etc) and they pay the transaction fees. No security risks there. Yea they do go offline from time to time, but it is a free service so that's to be expected.  

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 01:43:31 AM

Although not technically an online wallet, your best option to get results almost exactly the same as an online wallet, you should use something like electrum or mycelium, or some other deterministic wallet. All you need to access your wallet is the seed that you can import into your various secure devices that you would wish to access your "online wallet" with.  Your labels will not transfer from device to device however as long as you have Internet access each computer will have access to the same "balance" and the same addresses.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 09:03:05 AM

Because from what I've read, this definitely seems to be the case.

Are there any other online wallet services that offer users the ability to control their own private keys? If not, then why not? To me it seems quite obvious that this is the main reason why Blockchain.info is so popular and why it's not recommended to keep your coins online UNLESS that online wallet happens to be Blockchain.info. In fact, there is a popular saying that "if you don't have the private keys, then you don't own any bitcoins".

That isn't to say that there aren't other security issues that need to be taken into consideration even when using Blockchain.info (such as the risk of phishing attacks, for example). Nevertheless, having users control their own private keys means that even if the site shut down, your coins would still be safe and that's the biggest danger when it comes to storing your coins online.

So what other online wallets are there which offer this feature?

You know that when blockchain.info gives you your private keys, that they know your private keys too? That means there is no additional security for you in that. The wallet could be hacked or whatever. Not really different from letting your coins lie on another exchange or online wallet.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: