Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:46:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Considering the pirateat40 story and MNW's reasoning in the OP for his bet, are people overreacting now?
YES
NO
MAYBE

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are people over-reacting on MNW's bet?  (Read 6655 times)
bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:57:08 PM

I can't believe how many people don't get what he did. Pirateat40's pyramid scheme was a scam to begin with. Whe it defaulted (let me show you my shocked face), Matthew tried to show you how easy it is to fool you suckers without actually taking any of your money, and yet you still don't get it. Hey scammers! There are still plenty of fish in here!

I think Matthew cares about the scammers tag as much as anyone cares that HE HAS PUT BITCOIN MAGAZINE IN BOOKSTORES!

But he wasn't targeting people who were fooled by Pitareat40's scam, he was "fooling" people who were warning other fools about risky investment schemes.

Yes he did.  He specifically mentioned his bet as a way to hedge for Pirate investors. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:58:39 PM

I took Matt's bet for a very small amount, to be honest even when I made the bet I didn't in a million years think he'd pay out.
However, whatever point he was trying to make doesn't absolve him of responsibility entirely, and he can now deal with the fact that he's burned bridges with a huge number of people in this community.
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:59:29 PM

I can't believe how many people don't get what he did. Pirateat40's pyramid scheme was a scam to begin with. Whe it defaulted (let me show you my shocked face), Matthew tried to show you how easy it is to fool you suckers without actually taking any of your money, and yet you still don't get it. Hey scammers! There are still plenty of fish in here!

I think Matthew cares about the scammers tag as much as anyone cares that HE HAS PUT BITCOIN MAGAZINE IN BOOKSTORES!

But he wasn't targeting people who were fooled by Pitareat40's scam, he was "fooling" people who were warning other fools about risky investment schemes.

Yes he did.  He specifically mentioned his bet as a way to hedge for Pirate investors. 
This was despicable. So many pirate "investors" avoided bailing out because they could use Matt to "hedge" their risk.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:09:00 PM

Sorry, I should've said "initially." At first his whole point was that people screaming Ponzi should shut up or back their claims with money. If that was all who bet, this probably would've turned out OK. But it all went tragic as soon as he allowed others to hedge their losses.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:10:23 PM

Sorry, I should've said "initially." At first his whole point was that people screaming Ponzi should shut up or back their claims with money. If that was all who bet, this probably would've turned out OK. But it all went tragic as soon as he allowed others to hedge their losses.
Even before that, it encouraged some people not to sell their Pirate debt at a reduced loss because they believed that Matthew knew something they didn't.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:12:13 PM

Even before that, it encouraged some people not to sell their Pirate debt at a reduced loss because they believed that Matthew knew something they didn't.

^^^ True

Though in answer to those here saying "you are fools for taking Matthew's bet, and he was just proving how gullible you are" I'm just pointing out that initially it was the not-gullible Team Ponzi that his bet was targeted at, and was supposedly the point of. I'm not sure anyone from the Team Ponzi actually lost anything on this bet (I sure as hell didn't).
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:19:56 PM

But he wasn't targeting people who were fooled by Pitareat40's scam, he was "fooling" people who were warning other fools about risky investment schemes. And by "fooling" I mean telling people to put up money on an almost certain bet without actually risking any of it. If his intention was to show how easy it is to fool people, he failed. I doubt anyone who was calling Pirate a Ponzi would have actually bet anything if there was any actual risk involved.

+1 This. Majority of those who took the bet were putting their money where there mouth was in accusing BTCST as a scam/ponzi and would not return funds.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:25:52 PM

If you value money, which is imaginary, over relationships with people, which is the only valuable thing we have, then you will likely always be scammed, tricked, defrauded and fooled.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:26:36 PM

hey, did Matt ever even say he wasn't paying?

or are we all assuming he wont?

nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:27:56 PM

Didn't you read it? He made up some shitty excuse for a technicality.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:29:42 PM

I would point out that it is useful information to look at the persons defending Matt and their arguments.  It provides an insight into their thought processes and a good reason to avoid doing business with them.  Those defending him are saying it is ok to lie, cheat, and break agreements as long as funds don't change hands.  Those aren't the kind of people I would want to be involved in a trade with.

+1

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:30:03 PM

no i didn't see it i got here  and their was already 10 threads about it

nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:34:29 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1173889#msg1173889
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:40:24 PM

no i didn't see it i got here  and their was already 10 threads about it

The sad thing is that it wasn't even a good "technicality".  It was more like something a 10 year old would come up with shortly before the fight devolved into infinity +1 or infinity to infinity.
nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:45:00 PM

The sad thing is that it wasn't even a good "technicality".
Agreed
It was more like something a 10 year old would come up with shortly before the fight devolved into infinity +1 or infinity to infinity.
When kids did that to me, I blew their mind with "infinity to the infinity" and talk of Aleph1 Tongue
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:45:18 PM

The sad thing is that it wasn't even a good "technicality".  It was more like something a 10 year old would come up with shortly before the fight devolved into infinity +1 or infinity to infinity.

+1 It wasn't even creative. It's so funny to see him shoot himself in the foot thinking we will all feel it.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:54:10 PM

+1 It wasn't even creative. It's so funny to see him shoot himself in the foot thinking we will all feel it.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this bet. It was a great social experiment for me to find out who my true friends were, and also to entertain the community (which is my true purpose on these forums and always will be). Unfortunately, it looks like I lost the bet. This means I'll need to pay out exactly as described in my original thread OP.

Many of the people betting were very careful to point out that others were ignorant and foolish to invest their money into Pirate without doing due diligence beforehand, so far as to call them shills, suckers, etc. This leads me to believe that the individuals betting in my bet are very wise with their money and would only bet if they carefully read and understood the rules of the bet. For this reason, I am confident that the very wise individuals betting in this thread will be satisfied with the very literal interpretation of my thread.

I will begin paying for my losses as outlined in the following rule:

If I lose the bet, you get 20BTC sent to that address (13dSK4663Ts7j2PwHS1eUVjycKLBwx7PJM). If you lose, you'll need to send 20BTC to my address.

I'll begin processing the payouts for each of the 112 betters in this spreadsheet immediately: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajtx05YrHtIydFVHcGxLOExTbnhqajJLZmlSZUNtM3c&pli=1#gid=0

Please make sure to following along for your own record keeping purposes. I will update this thread with each payment as well. Thanks again!

huh?

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:00:53 AM

The sad thing is that it wasn't even a good "technicality".  It was more like something a 10 year old would come up with shortly before the fight devolved into infinity +1 or infinity to infinity.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this bet. It was a great social experiment for me to find out who my true friends were, and also to entertain the community (which is my true purpose on these forums and always will be). Unfortunately, it looks like I lost the bet. This means I'll need to pay out exactly as described in my original thread OP.

Many of the people betting were very careful to point out that others were ignorant and foolish to invest their money into Pirate without doing due diligence beforehand, so far as to call them shills, suckers, etc. This leads me to believe that the individuals betting in my bet are very wise with their money and would only bet if they carefully read and understood the rules of the bet. For this reason, I am confident that the very wise individuals betting in this thread will be satisfied with the very literal interpretation of my thread.

I will begin paying for my losses as outlined in the following rule:

If I lose the bet, you get 20BTC sent to that address (13dSK4663Ts7j2PwHS1eUVjycKLBwx7PJM). If you lose, you'll need to send 20BTC to my address.
[/color]

I'll begin processing the payouts for each of the 112 betters in this spreadsheet immediately: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajtx05YrHtIydFVHcGxLOExTbnhqajJLZmlSZUNtM3c&pli=1#gid=0

Please make sure to following along for your own record keeping purposes. I will update this thread with each payment as well. Thanks again!

huh?

That part

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:08:00 AM

adamstgBit,

He used the example from his OP and falsely interpreted it to mean the terms of the bet were that for each lost wager he would need to pay 20 BTC to the address is his bet (his address)
Pretty lame (and stupidly false) technicality.  

If Matt honestly believes he pulled a legit fast one on the betters he should allow it to go to arbitration before http://judge.me .
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 12:12:11 AM

People on this board have white-knighted for every scammy fuck that's come through so I'm not surprised this time is any different.

Nah just kidding guys, it's totally cool when people break their contracts and promises as long as they are the type of people you should expect that from.

I would point out that it is useful information to look at the persons defending Matt and their arguments.  It provides an insight into their thought processes and a good reason to avoid doing business with them.  Those defending him are saying it is ok to lie, cheat, and break agreements as long as funds don't change hands.  Those aren't the kind of people I would want to be involved in a trade with.

For the record if you see me taking side with MNW: He did a bet where he put his credibility against a million $ and decided to publicly declare himself not credible. He perfectly made clear what will happen if he doesn't pay which did not involve hiring killers or the police. He's tagged accordingly. Crying and extending the drama is just pointless. The debt is payed according to his deal and he will have to live with the consequences but please don't let these consequences be hundreds of threads.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: