Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:14:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Considering the pirateat40 story and MNW's reasoning in the OP for his bet, are people overreacting now?
YES
NO
MAYBE

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are people over-reacting on MNW's bet?  (Read 6651 times)
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 05:31:59 AM

So, the lesson I learned was that I did not call ENOUGH people scammers.  Not only that, but I have learned that I can be easily scammed by people that appear to be good people and that I should have no trust in them.

Thanks Matthew.

+1  Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mosrite

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

sealswithclubs.eu

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:00:19 AM

Of course people are overreacting.

Matthew Wright's prank, and it was a prank, not a fraud or a scam, since it was obviously never intended to make any money or deprive anyone of money, did teach a lesson, although i'm not sure it was the intended message. Things that appear to be good to be true almost always are.

So just as "business" proposals that promise one percent or more per week "guaranteed" (or even .5 percent per week) can easily and very confidently be rejected out of hand as foolhardy at best and outright ponzis in all likelihood, huge bets, proposed by the obvious losing side, can be very confidently dismissed. You will never collect.

The thing that Wright miscalculated was the unintended cruelty of the tack he took. He inadvertently acted like a Nigerian scammer who swoops in after the initial con for the double dip. Some of the same, obviously misguided suckers, who "invested/deposited" with Pirate, looked to this bet as their chance to recoup some or all of their losses (even though anyone who collected 7 percent for a couple of months isn't a net loser). So by teaching his lesson, Matthew extended false hope to some foolish people. It's as if they fell for it all over again.

Fools or not, no one deserves to be the victim of a ponzi scheme.

Wright's troll went too far, certainly, but he didn't commit a fraud, gambling debts are generally unenforceable in courts, and he did send his message. These sanctimonious open letters and calls for his banishment are silly. He's a clever kid who probably needs to re-think his polemical methods.

I apologize for my awkward Englush, I learned mainly by watching hip hoop videos. I work steel compony, Кpивopiжcтaль.

https://sealswithclubs.eu/seals-team-pro/

learn, chat and play with me at sealswithclubs.eu
bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:16:49 AM

And ignored.  Anyone making excuses or apologizing for this asshole will be ignored.  You are supporting a scammer.  Period.  I won't have anything to do with you now or in the future.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:18:21 AM

Matthew Wright's prank, and it was a prank, not a fraud or a scam, since it was obviously never intended to make any money or deprive anyone of money, did teach a lesson, although i'm not sure it was the intended message. ...

I initially held that opinion to some extent, but some here have made some pretty compelling arguments that his initial actions seem to indicate that he started out with some hope of winning the bet.  The strongest of these is that he did some of the bets under escrow and what he lost here seems to be a larger amount of money than one would suspect if he were just trying to pull a prank.

If the escrow assertions are proven, it does seem to me that in Matthew's twisted mind he had some initial plans which shifted as the situation on the ground evolved.

I do wonder if in Matthew's position as the editor of that magazine he ever had any contact with Pirateat40 and thus may have thought he had some info that most people did not?

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 06:24:53 AM

Wright's troll went too far, certainly, but he didn't commit a fraud, gambling debts are generally unenforceable in courts, and he did send his message. These sanctimonious open letters and calls for his banishment are silly. He's a clever kid who probably needs to re-think his polemical methods.

Coглaceн, нo Maт тoжe пoтpaтил oчeнь мнoгo дpyгиx людeй вpeмeни. Mы вce oжидaли кaк oн выкpyтитcя, дyмaя чтo бyдeт  чтo тo кpyтo, xитpo, или xoтя бы зaбaвнo, a oкaзaлocь кaкaя тa дypaтcкaя шyткa кoтopyю тoлькo oн пoнял. Этo кaк бyдтo oн вcex пpиглacил нa гpaндиoзный caлют, вce пoмeняли плaны чтo бы пpиexaть и пocмoтpeть, a кoгдa пpиexaли, тoлькo yвидeли кaк oн бyтылкy c мoлoтoвcким кoктeлeм бpocaeт в вepx. Дaжe кoгдa этa бyтылкa в кoнцe yпaлa eмy нa гoлoвy, тo и тo нe oчeнь интepecнo Sad
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 06:30:59 AM

Matthew Wright's prank, and it was a prank, not a fraud or a scam, since it was obviously never intended to make any money or deprive anyone of money, did teach a lesson, although i'm not sure it was the intended message. ...

I initially held that opinion to some extent, but some here have made some pretty compelling arguments that his initial actions seem to indicate that he started out with some hope of winning the bet.  The strongest of these is that he did some of the bets under escrow and what he lost here seems to be a larger amount of money than one would suspect if he were just trying to pull a prank.

If the escrow assertions are proven, it does seem to me that in Matthew's twisted mind he had some initial plans which shifted as the situation on the ground evolved.

I do wonder if in Matthew's position as the editor of that magazine he ever had any contact with Pirateat40 and thus may have thought he had some info that most people did not?

ya me too, at first i was like its just a prank, but then you realize that he would of taken all the money form everyone if he won and given a scammer tag to all the people that didn't pay....

He said on the forum and in an interview that he never had any contact with Pirateat40. He wanted everyone to STFU and stop acting like a bunch of trolls, and winning this bet was going to do that.  Ironic isn't it Tongue

Mosrite

sealswithclubs.eu

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:38:41 AM

Escrowed bets were lost, correct? So he just gave money away in those cases, since there is nothing that he could have known about Pirate that would make his bet a winner, ever.

learn, chat and play with me at sealswithclubs.eu
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 07:04:01 AM

Escrowed bets were lost [by Matthew], correct?

So they say.  I didn't run the (purported) escrow so I cannot know for sure.

So he just gave money away in those cases,

Not in escrow is working as designed.  If it is, the money is taken which is quite different from 'giving it.'

since there is nothing that he could have known about Pirate that would make his bet a winner, ever.

This is probably true, but it is certainly possible that Matthew might have thought he knew something.  One interesting thing about the Pirate is that he seemed to have the same power that that old guy in the star wars movie had to influence the thought patterns of the weak minded.

It would also have been a shrewd move on Pirateat40's part to go ahead and pay some escrows for Matthew to get his scam/prank rocking as a diversion.  That's a long-shot hypothesis however and I don't put much stock in it (though things seem to have played out that way and some people did get burnt by the influence it had on the bond discounts...unbelievably to me...)  A contra-argument to this hypothesis is that there would be little reason why Pirateat40 would give a flying fuck about the bond discounts, attention, or much else associated with his Ponzi.  It was all wrapped up weeks ago from his perspective.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 07:31:21 AM

hey, did Matt ever even say he wasn't paying?

or are we all assuming he wont?
Didn't you read it? He made up some shitty excuse for a technicality.

no i didn't see it i got here  and their was already 10 threads about it
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101751.msg1173889#msg1173889

The sad thing is that it wasn't even a good "technicality".  It was more like something a 10 year old would come up with shortly before the fight devolved into infinity +1 or infinity to infinity.

That about sums it up.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

DarkEmi

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:24:41 AM

Why is it that on these forums everytime gets scammed, stolen, or anything related tons of people are saying "ha he should not have trusted XXX or YYY, so it is obviously his fault if he lost his monies"

Come on. Thats like saying to a rape victim that she should not dress so sexy / go out alone / etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming

As long as this logic and impunity goes on bitcoin will only be a children playground.

For a 1 million scam "in real life" matthew could have been sent in jail for the 5 next years or so.

And to me sorry but it is obvious that he would have taken as much as possible in the case he would have won the bet.

ProProfi.com
The first home improvement service cryptocurrency project
ICO | Discuss on Forum
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 08:35:21 AM

Ever reported minor theft of goods or USD? Yeah, nothing usually happens with that either. People get away with stealing millions in USD all the time, as well. However with USD and other currencies there is lots of normal business going on so people don't dwell on that stuff too much. They just transform into jokes "Pulling a Maddof" or "Too big to fail".

So how about the reaction to all this stuff is to start passing those electronic coins around for more regular activities and tone down the big bets and investing in blackboxes? How about not being repulsed by reasonable fees or interest rates instead of blissfully accepting that miniscule fees and unbelievable interest rates are an expected reward for being in the Bitcoin club? Perhaps ask reasonable questions and think over the responses given? I'm just throwing out some ideas here.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 09:37:29 AM

The thing that Wright miscalculated was the unintended cruelty of the tack he took. He inadvertently acted like a Nigerian scammer who swoops in after the initial con for the double dip. Some of the same, obviously misguided suckers, who "invested/deposited" with Pirate, looked to this bet as their chance to recoup some or all of their losses (even though anyone who collected 7 percent for a couple of months isn't a net loser). So by teaching his lesson, Matthew extended false hope to some foolish people. It's as if they fell for it all over again.
There was nothing inadvertent or unintended about it. He knew that his bet was being used by BS&T "investors" in order to hedge their likely losses and not only continued to accept their bets but actually advertised it to them for that specific purpose.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:17:12 AM

It just showed how immature the bitcoin finance is, in the real world, there will be CDS sold to hedge the risk for MNW's default

And of course at the end someone has to pay big either way, so it ends up with a sovereign default which is solved by 0 interest policy and QE, but in bitcoin's case no one is taking the final risk

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 10:49:36 AM

Why is it that on these forums everytime gets scammed, stolen, or anything related tons of people are saying "ha he should not have trusted XXX or YYY, so it is obviously his fault if he lost his monies"

Come on. Thats like saying to a rape victim that she should not dress so sexy / go out alone / etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming

As long as this logic and impunity goes on bitcoin will only be a children playground.

For a 1 million scam "in real life" matthew could have been sent in jail for the 5 next years or so.

And to me sorry but it is obvious that he would have taken as much as possible in the case he would have won the bet.
Actually people should grow up and learn to avoid scams. The "rape thing" is ridicolous, no one is being "raped" here.

Almost all scammed ppl fall for scams cause they are GREED and expected to hurr durr become rich 7% week hurr durr, matthew will give me 10.000 btc if i make 1 post in the thread hurr durr.

Rassah
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 02:02:47 PM

It just showed how immature the bitcoin finance is, in the real world, there will be CDS sold to hedge the risk for MNW's default

And of course at the end someone has to pay big either way, so it ends up with a sovereign default which is solved by 0 interest policy and QE, but in bitcoin's case no one is taking the final risk

Um, the people who took on the stupid risks, such as investing into HYIPs, or selling CDS for something as flaky and unpredictable as Matthew's bet, would be the ones "taking the final risk." 0 interest policy and QE means the risk is disbursed among the entire nation's population, either through inflation, or through higher taxes later on. Why should everyone have to pay for the risks they didn't take, just because some numbskulls decided to gamble with their money or sell overly risky CDS products?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 06:01:32 PM

"I was pranked by Matthew N. Wright, due to my compulsive gambling problem"

*ignored*

Twat's that you say?  I cunt hear you.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Yolocoin

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:03:59 PM

I don't think people are overreacting to MNW idiot stunt. I think people are under-reacting to Pirate, and all the PPT scammers.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 06:18:30 PM

I don't think people are overreacting to MNW idiot stunt fraud. I think people are under-reacting to Pirate, and all the PPT scammers.

FYPFY.  Making an agreement for a wager and backing out isn't a stunt.  If you think so trying doing that in a casino.  Try losing a bet and just grabbing your chips and leaving.  Better yet try doing it in some underground poker game.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 06:21:44 PM

FYPFY.  Making an agreement for a wager and backing out isn't a stunt.  If you think so trying doing that in a casino.  Try losing a bet and just grabbing your chips and leaving.  Better yet try doing it in some underground poker game.
Actually, that's relatively easy to do. Try doing it twice.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 10, 2012, 06:30:47 PM

Making an agreement for a wager and backing out isn't a stunt.  If you think so trying doing that in a casino.  Try losing a bet and just grabbing your chips and leaving.  Better yet try doing it in some underground poker game.

Your point is self-refuting.  This anonymous online BBS is *not* "a casino."  This anonymous online BBS is *not* "some underground poker game."

All you humorless haters aren't going to do anything except whine; you're certainly not any kind of virtual casino security bouncer thug or mob enforcer.   Roll Eyes

So take your threatening internet tough guy BS and stuff it, cupcake.  Wink

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████