Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:01:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help - Possible to recover my Bitcoin from wallet.dat?  (Read 1429 times)
1BTC1LIFE (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:28:42 PM

Basically I have 4 x "wallet.dat" each of these were used in MultiBit. Yep, me being retarded thought you had to import the wallet.dat's
I do not have the private keys. The wallets are not password protected. I know blockchain.info use to allow you to import wallets but they removed that now.  Embarrassed

I will pay anyone who helps me recover my lost BTC, which is 15.4 in total btw.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spud21

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:51:36 PM

First, you posted this in the wrong place, it should probably have been posted on this board.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=4.0

When you say wallet.dat do you mean you have a file called "wallet.dat"?

Multibit does not create a wallet.dat file to store bitcoin keys in, it creates files with .info and .wallet extensions, and also a folder with a name ending in -data for each address.

If you have these files and folders you should be able to recover your bitcoins.

You can find them in a folder called appdata which is only visible if you have changed a windows system setting that shows hidden files and folders.

If you actually have a file called wallet.dat then that is from the original bitcoin software, and not generated by multibit.
Scamalert

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

Captain

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 04:58:34 PM

If you still have all your files and your computer is not comprimised then will you be safe.

Listen to me this is very important:

STAY CALM

Many people loose their bitcoin in the process of recovering them.
As long as you stay clam and think very carefully about what you are doing, then are you good.

Read and study very careful what to do, do not rush into anything.
Now is also a good time to take a full backup of your %appdata%.

Before you can have any help, then do you need to clarify the thing asked in the previous post.

And for the love of god, do not send you unecrypted wallet files to anybody, this place is crawling with scammers who would love to dine on your bitcoins.
michinzx

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 05:17:50 PM

If you still have all your files and your computer is not comprimised then will you be safe.

As long as you stay clam and think very carefully about what you are doing, then are you good.

Before you can have any help, then do you need to clarify the thing asked in the previous post.

And for the love of god, do not send you unecrypted wallet files to anybody, this place is crawling with scammers who would love to dine on your bitcoins.

stay clam man

couldnt help myself

i sent you a pm though, i use multibit as well and may be able to help you with the issue. i wont use skype but if we can communicate i could help.
1BTC1LIFE (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 05:26:38 PM

STAY CALM

Thanks for your helpful posts. Someone is helping me via PM I think but i'm gonna bet they want my wallet files.

Yes, my original post said my computer was wiped but it didn't go through for some reason.

All I have is the wallet.dat files.
spud21

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 05:56:41 PM

STAY CALM

Thanks for your helpful posts. Someone is helping me via PM I think but i'm gonna bet they want my wallet files.

Yes, my original post said my computer was wiped but it didn't go through for some reason.

If you have wallet.dat files, then download the bitcoin software from this link and install it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/

If you don't want to download Gigabytes of the whole bitcoin blockchain, then run the wallet once after installing it, and close it right away.

Click the windows start button, and type this into the search box, and press the enter key

%appdata%

A folder should open, and you should be able to find a bitcoin folder inside it.

Open the bitcoin folder and replace the wallet.dat already in there with one of your wallet.dat files containing your bitcoins

Run the bitcoin software again, when it opens make a note of your bitcoin address in the receive window

Click help, then debug window, then click the console tab

At the bottom of the console window type

dumpprivkey followed by a space, then type your bitcoin address that you copied from the receive window

Press enter and copy the long string of letters and numbers shows in the console window (that's your private bitcoin key)

Install multibit, run it

Follow this tutorial to create a file needed to import your private key into multibit

https://www.multibit.org/v0.5/help_importASingleKey.html

Select tools from the menu at the top

Select "import private keys" from the "tools" drop down list, click the "import from" button, and select the file you created from the tutorial

Your bitcoins should show up in multibit after it has synced

You will need to repeat these steps for all your wallet.dat files.

michinzx

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 07:32:43 PM

STAY CALM

i never told you that i wanted your files. not even once did i ask for data except for screenshots of your multibit directory so that i could see what data you had left to work with. i explicitly told you how to recover your bitcoins.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 09:09:41 AM

STAY CALM

Code:
If you have wallet.dat files, then download the bitcoin software from this link and install it.

If you don't want to download Gigabytes of the whole bitcoin blockchain, then run the wallet once after installing it, and close it right away.

Click the windows start button, and type this into the search box, and press the enter key

%appdata%

A folder should open, and you should be able to find a bitcoin folder inside it.

Open the bitcoin folder and replace the wallet.dat already in there with one of your wallet.dat files containing your bitcoins

Run the bitcoin software again, when it opens make a note of your bitcoin address in the receive window

dumpprivkey followed by a space, then type your bitcoin address that you copied from the receive window

Press enter and copy the long string of letters and numbers shows in the console window (that's your private bitcoin key)

Install multibit, run it

Follow this tutorial to create a file needed to import your private key into multibit

Select "import private keys" from the "tools" drop down list, click the "import from" button, and select the file you created from the tutorial

Good post but you missed one thing, most important thing. "Multibit wallet.dat file is incompatible with Bitcoin core and vice versa". CMIIW. Smiley

@OP: Download Multibit and open that wallet.dat files from Multibit and see whether you can see the balance or not.

spud21

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 02:21:43 PM

STAY CALM

Code:

%appdata%

Install multibit, run it

Good post but you missed one thing, most important thing. "Multibit wallet.dat file is incompatible with Bitcoin core and vice versa". CMIIW. Smiley

@OP: Download Multibit and open that wallet.dat files from Multibit and see whether you can see the balance or not.

As I stated earlier, multibit does not use or create wallet.dat files. It stores bitcoin keys in files with .info and .wallet extensions, and also a folder with a name ending in -data.

Multibit does not create a wallet.dat file to store bitcoin keys in, it creates files with .info and .wallet extensions, and also a folder with a name ending in -data for each address.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 03:00:02 PM

Code:

%appdata%

Install multibit, run it

As I stated earlier, multibit does not use or create wallet.dat files. It stores bitcoin keys in files with .info and .wallet extensions, and also a folder with a name ending in -data.

IIRC Multibit(maybe old versions) do create wallet.dat files and they were different format than Bitcoin core. OP got wallet.dat from Multibit too and if it is true, it is incompatible with Bitcoin core.

Basically I have 4 x "wallet.dat" each of these were used in MultiBit.
 -snip-

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2015, 03:32:06 PM

Basically I have 4 x "wallet.dat" each of these were used in MultiBit. Yep, me being retarded thought you had to import the wallet.dat's
I do not have the private keys. The wallets are not password protected. I know blockchain.info use to allow you to import wallets but they removed that now.  Embarrassed

dude, with this much BTC you should learn more about securing and handling coins!

the "best thing" (for you) would be: buy a hardware wallet:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

Relex

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 03:59:17 PM

I do not have the private keys. The wallets are not password protected. I know blockchain.info use to allow you to import wallets but they removed that now.  Embarrassed

dude, with this much BTC you should learn more about securing and handling coins!

Thanks will look into these hardware wallets.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 04:01:32 PM

Thanks will look into these hardware wallets.

Some of those can get pricy. No doubt in some cases they are good though.  2 Factor is very good idea in general for anyting.

If it's a small amount of coins papers wallets if used right really can do wonders.   Most have a QR code even, they have reached a point where they work great.  You just have to store safely.
spud21

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 06:37:49 PM

Code:

%appdata%

Install multibit, run it

IIRC Multibit(maybe old versions) do create wallet.dat files and they were different format than Bitcoin core. OP got wallet.dat from Multibit too and if it is true, it is incompatible with Bitcoin core.

Basically I have 4 x "wallet.dat" each of these were used in MultiBit.
 -snip-

Sorry, I didn't know that very old multibit clients used a different wallet format to the current one. However,  the user in the quote below seems to be confusing multibit.wallet files for wallet.dat files, and I expect it's quite a common mistake.

NO. You need to backup all your wallet files. If you were to only have/use the default multibit.wallet, then that is all you would need to backup. But that file does not hold information for any other wallet you created. Each one of those also needs backed up.

You can find more direct help on this dedicated MultiBit forum: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=v4lefhogmd58oe85n56ko06914&board=99.0

And the MultiBit web site has thorough documentation, as well: https://multibit.org/index.html

Thanks for the reply, i did notice other untitled wallet.dat files in the Multibit folder (even though i have named my wallets Wallet1, Wallet 2 etc), i will just back up EVERYTHING in the folder then to be safe.

So it looks like i will have to open every wallet.dat file if i do a recovery....

Cheers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: