Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:45:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The quest for the Antminer S5 Ribbon Data cable.  (Read 8329 times)
Crypto84 (OP)

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 10:10:09 PM

as you know if you one an antminer S5 there are 2 open data cable ports on the controller board. I'm looking for these data cables that connect the hash boards to the controller board. Why you ask? because i want to connect the 2 hash board from my second antminer S5 with my 1st antminer S5. I want to do this for these reasons:

1. I want to connect all of the hash boards to one controller. I dont want to have to buy a switch
2. Its easier to manage one controller than 2.
3. its easier to port forward to one controller. i dont want to do anything to the firmware to switch ports. this would make that possible with little work. i also would have to leave my computer on all day so i could remote into it.
4. because its possible and i want to do it. I emailed bitmain asking if its possible to connect 2 more hash boards. they said its possible.

Anyone want to help me with locating these? i need longer ones basically. did bitmain get these cables/connectors custom made?

I tried googling for a while. no luck.

pics of cable and connector

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MCHouston

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

Where am I?

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 10:13:41 PM

They are custom made cables,  you can easily get the parts and tools to make them though.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
June 01, 2015, 11:22:40 PM

Port forwarding to multiple machines is almost trivial even without access to the miner itself (and zero firmware changes), if your router has even basic config ability. Set one incoming port to one miner's port 80, and another incoming port to the other miner's port 80. In a browser navigate to your IP and the first port, you have the first miner. Your IP and second port, you get the second miner. No firmware changes, no local remote access server required.

Not saying that's a great idea, and you'll definitely want to change the webconfig passwords since it's open to the internet.

Also I know that doesn't help you find the cables you want, but it does negate some of the reasons. Also I have some of those cables that I might not need, thanks to an acquisition of some dead S5s a while back.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:18:43 AM

One other item to consider in making a "4-blade S5 Extreme" miner. The most recent firmware that Bitmain has released will NOT support four blades on a single controller. If that doesn't bother you then feel free to proceed. I personally would keep it as two separate miners. I think Ethernet switches are pretty cheap. A used one couldn't even cost $10, could it?
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:32:53 AM

I would suggest talking to Bitmain support.  I imagine if you want to buy them they will sell the cables.

For other miners they sell parts or have parts for warranty.  So I doubt they would turn you down if you contact them wanting to buy these custom cords.
scyth33

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 07:55:47 AM

i have tried contacting bitmain about this before. they were not willing to let me purchase it separately. so i've made my own cable. has been working fine for the past month

they quoted me the price and did not get back after selecting the shipping option.

We can send it to you but the shipping will cost way more than the cables are worth.  $70 USD or so.  Other option be via airmail and it will be $15 USD and may takes 2 weeks to arrive

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 08:14:04 AM

i have tried contacting bitmain about this before. they were not willing to let me purchase it separately. so i've made my own cable. has been working fine for the past month

they quoted me the price and did not get back after selecting the shipping option.

We can send it to you but the shipping will cost way more than the cables are worth.  $70 USD or so.  Other option be via airmail and it will be $15 USD and may takes 2 weeks to arrive

I'm surprised they are normally very good. Was it the US or China team?

I still suggest OP try to contact them.  I think there is a decent chance of sale.  If in US or China you can easily call them aswell.

I'm not sure what happened on your's stinks it dind't work out.   But normally after talking to them and pick shipping they will send a BTC address to send to and after they send parts.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 12:54:14 PM

I have some of those cables that I might not need, thanks to an acquisition of some dead S5s a while back.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 01:22:38 PM

Anyone knows the name of the connector?

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 01:31:09 PM

In the help material - https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204875015-How-to-diagnose-S5-hashing-PCB

They describe it as: Data Cable to Hashing PCB.    Which is a good description.

I believe it's a custom cable(I could be wrong on this).  Not sure on endings what I should consider them.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 04:03:34 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2015, 12:25:32 PM by Tupsu

One other item to consider in making a "4-blade S5 Extreme" miner. The most recent firmware that Bitmain has released will NOT support four blades on a single controller. If that doesn't bother you then feel free to proceed. I personally would keep it as two separate miners. I think Ethernet switches are pretty cheap. A used one couldn't even cost $10, could it?

If you want to use a single controller by more than 3 blades,  you also need software

Software you get here www.perearstike.ee/S5/softold/SD-S5-20150107.tar.gz

It works 100% with 3 or 4 blade.

scyth33

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 04:23:52 PM

not sure if this would work. but the pitch is 2mm

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/DF11-18DS-2DSA(05)/H10175-ND/934285

http://datasheetz.com/data/Connectors/Rectangular%20-%20Receptacles,%20Female%20Socket/H2826-datasheetz.html
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 05:59:44 PM

I can't tell you the exact model, because there are literally a ton, but I can tell you who is probably the manufacturer, and that is JST - here's some of the family of products that I thought looked like close matches:

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=583
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=645
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=105
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=191
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=275

If you try contacting them and sending pictures, they might be able to tell you for sure...
Crypto84 (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 09:20:57 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2015, 10:49:48 PM by Crypto84

I can't tell you the exact model, because there are literally a ton, but I can tell you who is probably the manufacturer, and that is JST - here's some of the family of products that I thought looked like close matches:

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=583
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=645
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=105
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=191
http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=275

If you try contacting them and sending pictures, they might be able to tell you for sure...

nice! i dont know if it matter now. i somehow was able to connect all of them to one controller and it only shows hashrate for 2 hash boards. they are all connected though. ill see what my poolside hashrate is....

back to normal. just wasted 3 hours of my life doing this. hope this helps someone if they are thinking what i was thinking.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 12:01:34 AM

As someone mentioned earlier, the latest firmware doesn't work with 4 boards - but if you run the older one, I believe it works fine.  There's also the nicehash custom firmware, and I thought I read somewhere that it supports 4 boards also, but don't have any firsthand experience.
Crypto84 (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 01:53:56 AM

As someone mentioned earlier, the latest firmware doesn't work with 4 boards - but if you run the older one, I believe it works fine.  There's also the nicehash custom firmware, and I thought I read somewhere that it supports 4 boards also, but don't have any firsthand experience.

I was running the nicehash firmware.
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 12:32:15 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2015, 12:47:11 PM by Tupsu

As someone mentioned earlier, the latest firmware doesn't work with 4 boards - but if you run the older one, I believe it works fine.  There's also the nicehash custom firmware, and I thought I read somewhere that it supports 4 boards also, but don't have any firsthand experience.

I was running the nicehash firmware.

Nicehash/Smith firmware does not work with 4 blade.

There is only one functioning software for 3 or 4 blade.

This is a pure Bitmaintech   software . (There is no longer on their  website for download)  See my earlier post in this thread, and from there you can get the link to download.

numnutz2009

Activity: 387
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 01:14:40 PM

Bitmain will not sell the cables to u. I asked a long time ago and they replied about them being custom cabled so im guessing that means basically they are all premade and they ordered the entire batch of cables for every s5 that could ever be made and some so they cant start new orders for only a handful of cables which i personally agree with 100% because they buy in bulk to get the huge discounts on either premade cables or the parts to make the cables themselves but i highly doubt they made them in their factory and its likely they outsourced it to another factory near by. But i can splice all the cables with some digikey ribon cables i have to extend them but thats annoying for sure. I need them for the water cooling kits for s5's.

On another note....i also want the firmware modded to stop the waste bitmain said they will fix but its been weeks since they emailed me that reply so i might need to shoot them another email and ask about the status. Basically the miner will run full tilt with or without connection to the internet. That is wasteful especially if your network goes down randomly without warning for a period of time but also since it runs full tilt 24/7 no matter what i noticed the 80 degrees cuttoff doesnt work. I left the fan slightly unhooked by mistake when i reassembled it and plugged the miner up to my laptop not to the network and when to config it and add a second pool to the miner and i noticed i could feel radiating heat and when i looked at the status page the fan was at zero rpm (my fault completely) but the temps were at 94 degrees c. Thats 14 degrees past the auto cutoff for mining so it should have stopped then waited for it to cool off then start again over and over but since it runs full tilt 24/7 it makes the auto shut off stop working and keeps it running. Now this was only after about a minute of it being booted up so i got extremely lucky but im hesitant to move the miner to another location after finding this out because what if a pump dies or if a fan dies?? It will end up like asicminer prismas all over again. Bitmain said this was going to be fixed for sure but its a hugeeee risk and im not sure others know about this yet because whos stupid enough to accidentally test the auto protection thing for overheatting?? Well damnit!!! This guy is! Ur welcome! Lol jk but ya bitmain said its a built in feature to test the boards out for when network is reattached however long down the road but thats a stupid feature in my opinion. It only wastes the electricity the miners saved and people with comcast know that comcast cuts network connections in md at least without warning sometimes or they reboot stuff that takes 15-20 mins to come back up and authenticate with the main comcast servers so this wastes alot of power especially during a rain storm or just a standard internet outage. Ne one else notice this?? I havent seen other posts about it.
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 08:54:35 PM

.......what i noticed the 80 degrees cuttoff doesnt work.....

Works for me. 

But  I have almost  lost  water-cooled S5 with this Nicehash soft.

1. With Four blade, he can not turn itself off at 80 degrees.

2. This soft is not been able to work  with  three-or four-blade .

Luckily my 4 blades  all  working , but I got more, as 120 degrees Celsius , after syscooling pump failure.
This is the first time that I had to  replace the hoses after miner overheating.
I'm even pleasantly surprised, that all 4 blades  survived.  After remove the hoses,  came out only  hot steam and boiling water  Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=902305.msg11147009#msg11147009

But now I have  one bad termosensor, and I have a couple of times a day to make a restart . So I know that the 80 degrees cuttoff works  for me.
numnutz2009

Activity: 387
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 02:58:52 AM

.......what i noticed the 80 degrees cuttoff doesnt work.....

Works for me.  

But  I have almost  lost  water-cooled S5 with this Nicehash soft.

1. With Four blade, he can not turn itself off at 80 degrees.

2. This soft is not been able to work  with  three-or four-blade .

Luckily my 4 blades  all  working , but I got more, as 120 degrees Celsius , after syscooling pump failure.
This is the first time that I had to  replace the hoses after miner overheating.
I'm even pleasantly surprised, that all 4 blades  survived.  After remove the hoses,  came out only  hot steam and boiling water  Grin

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=902305.msg11147009#msg11147009

But now I have  one bad termosensor, and I have a couple of times a day to make a restart . So I know that the 80 degrees cuttoff works  for me.

Not to sound rude but im confused by ur reply and its probably on my end...u say the cutoff works and it stops sucking up full power when it hits 80 degrees c or higher right?? But u say urs reached 120c+ which is 40 degrees higher then the cutoff. If your refering to cg miner stops hashing then ur right and wrong because yes it drops to 0gh/s BUT the miner is still using 600w at normal 12v power so the issue isnt that it doesnt go to 0 its that its still running in the backround which negates the shut off function that is in place. If they use 600w while hashing and while not hashing something is hashing that isnt visible. Bitmain replied to my email saying im right and that this issue was being worked on by their "engineers" and that they will provide info shortly and thats the last i heard from them. They said it has been programed to run hashes all the time even with no network conectivity it just discards the packets over and over which is y it uses 600w all the time. As a comparison if u look at the sp20's when there is no network connection it stops hashing period. The power drops to less then 50w but bitmain doesnt. So if it hits 80 degrees it should stop all activity with the exception of the controller until a set period of time has passed then it checks again and if the issue is resolved it fires back up but if not it stays shut off until the next check and so on but it doesnt. If one feature is broken the other will not work either so since this whole no network shut off doesnt work it makes the overheating temp shut off not work and just keeps pushing 600w through it until the board fries or catches fire. My damn heat sinks after less then 1 minute were ticking like a warmed up car does when you get out. It shouldnt have hit anything higher then 80degrees not 81 or 82 or anything else.

Make sense??

I should prob add the following:

1. Running stock s5 image not this nicehash image or whatever ur refering to.
2. Not running the latest firmware update from april....i updated when i got the miners and that was to the one with the date of the 7th.
3. Running 2 blades at the time of this issue. I have tried with 4 blades without issues but this actually happened when i separated the 2 miners and went to configure it after placing the controller back on the one that had it removed. It was by chance this happened because again i didnt fully seat the fan cable by mistake which i know was silly to do and im at fault there but that doesnt change ne thing else im saying.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: