Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:32:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Great North Data. Anyone familiar with them??  (Read 2276 times)
j33hopper (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 08:24:06 PM

Im considering having them host my miners and im wondering if anyone has used them or heard of them? 

http://greatnorthdata.com/

Thanks again for any input,
James

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2015, 10:18:05 PM

Im considering having them host my miners and im wondering if anyone has used them or heard of them?  

http://greatnorthdata.com/

Thanks again for any input,
James

Don't know much about them not a whole lot of talk about them on forums - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=400812

Only thing I see that I see I don't like is there appears to be a VAT.  So depending where your shipping from and too it could provide extra cost to ROI.  As far as quality and reliability does not appear to be enough people posting about it to make a good anwser.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
June 03, 2015, 10:07:08 PM

Its in Newfoundland Canada, so yes, there is PST and GST which are like VAT at both provincial and federal levels. usually works out to a 14% add on. If you are a Canadian there are ways to write it off on your tax claim, but that would be very specific to your case. usually you just have to pay it....

The other thing about this company, that is more my opinion than anything provable by fact, is, I have never trusted any company from my country that uses the terms "Great White" "Great Northern" or "Great Canadian" in their title. Every single professional service that I have ever dealt with that hides behind this sort of entry level nationalism and cheap flag waving has proven to be bullshit. that's been my experience, there may be exceptions, but flag waving and thumping chest whilst shouting "Canada Number ONE!" just screams bullshit smoke n mirrors to me. Canadians have the unfortunate habit of thinking they are better than everybody else whilst being mostly below average, boring, small-minded and weak. be careful, Canadians are the worst sort of bullshitters, they are bullshitters who are convinced they are righteous honest and correct.

of course, this company is in Newfoundland, so technically, they aren't even Canadians, they're more like mutant donkey versions of newly landed immigrants. sub-normal at best.
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2015, 08:22:13 AM

of course, this company is in Newfoundland, so technically, they aren't even Canadians, they're more like mutant donkey versions of newly landed immigrants. sub-normal at best.

Haha that made me chuckle Smiley but you do raise a valid point, hiding behind one of those "popular" monikers isn't making them look less shady.
j33hopper (OP)

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 10:13:37 AM

Sounds like how we Americans feel about California... Tongue

Thanks for all the info btw.  That VAT looks like a steep cost to consider.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
June 04, 2015, 09:43:20 PM

Sounds like how we Americans feel about California... Tongue

Thanks for all the info btw.  That VAT looks like a steep cost to consider.

its more like small town Florida. With shittier weather, weirder accents and more poverty.
armedmilitia

Activity: 562
Merit: 506

We're going to need a bigger heatsink.

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 09:35:38 PM

Hey everyone, just pitching in to say that I'm a current customer of great north data. I've used three colo services so far, segmining, allinvain, and gnd, and this one is by far the cheapest. Their rates are super competitive. If you've ever used allinvain's colocation service this one is very similar in the way they communicate and operate.

I run 4TH/s worth of hardware, and even though I'm a tiny customer I still get good support, and a relatively quick response to emails. My uptime is very good. Not 99.9%, but over the past few months there's been a total of maybe 24h of downtime, which seems to be the standard across all the services I've used.

I'm not sure about VAT, as I purchased used hardware domestically, so no borders were ever crossed. However, sales taxes (if there are any) are included in their quotes, which are still the cheapest I've ever seen. I think they advertise $63 USD/KW (everything included), and with longer/larger contracts it drops lower than that.

Just my two cents. If you have any questions, fire away!

Always use escrow. OgNasty is pretty sweet.

Help me out with compiling a list of mining datacenters!
brent217

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 03:32:15 AM

I am a current customer.  I sent them my servers in April, about 40TH.  So far they have been "slightly" more expensive than running the servers myself, but with less billing issues from the electrical company.

You can set up payment to them in either BTC or dollars.  I prefer the BTC to pay as then I can track both revenue and expenses in BTC.  Yes they have HST (harmonized sales tax) on their service, but that is part of the monthly cost.

They do not have 99.9% uptime, I would guess several hours a month of downtime with ~10 power outages in the last two months as they have been upgrading their facilities electrical power.  Power outages make my servers complain (Spondoolies sp30s have issues rebooting themselves sometimes and require a human present to swear at them) but the price, in a data center, is far cheaper than it would have been in a local (Edmonton, Alberta) data center.  If there are power fluctuations they are pretty good about resetting the servers quickly, but, as I said, sometimes the servers don't like to come up again and need a harsh talking to.

The internet connection in their data center is a lot more reliable than the internet was here in Edmonton, (I think GN's internet went down only once or twice for a few minutes in the past few months) but that is likely because the infrastructure is newer.

They run the servers on Eligius, so you can watch your page and let them know if there are any oddities.  You have to give them the server passwords so they can set up the machines in their data center and do the reboots after power outages.  You can't really visit the data center, as Churchill falls is in the middle of nowhere, so you have to have an element of trust, but, so far, I have had the same BTC revenue using them as I did when I was running the servers at my own place.

So far I am still ahead a little in BTC each month (revenue minus data center costs to run servers), but it will take about 44 more months to recoup the initial cost of the servers plus setup expenses.  Will BTC be around that much longer, and what will the value of each BTC be then?  Not sure.  Also getting off topic.
GreatNorthData

Activity: 105
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 11:50:59 AM

Our prices include all taxes and fees except duty/VAT if you're shipping from overseas. Only federal VAT (GST, 5%) is levied on equipment imported into Canada, not the provincial portions. It is calculated off of the declared value, so if you declare the value to be $1000, $50 will be owing at the border. (For which we can help arrange payment.)

We get a lot of hate from other mines since we're under cutting them by $10/kW or more. Thanks for the support!

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
rkinnin

Activity: 316

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 11:02:20 PM

I am a current customer.  I sent them my servers in April, about 40TH.  So far they have been "slightly" more expensive than running the servers myself, but with less billing issues from the electrical company.
They run the servers on Eligius, so you can watch your page and let them know if there are any oddities.  You have to give them the server passwords so they can set up the machines in their data center and do the reboots after power outages.  You can't really visit the data center, as Churchill falls is in the middle of nowhere, so you have to have an element of trust, but, so far, I have had the same BTC revenue using them as I did when I was running the servers at my own place.

Does this mean that they will let you mine only at Eligius?  What if I don't use Eligius as my primary pool?

Is there a way you can access your own equipment, allowing you to monitor and make changes as need be?

<robb>
GreatNorthData

Activity: 105

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 01:18:58 AM

You can mine on any pool you want. We don't allow direct access for security purposes. Our onsite techs will provide any settings changes you require.

If you want direct access, there are hosters who provide that service but they charge a lot more.

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
N8tureboy

Activity: 8

View Profile
May 05, 2016, 04:43:45 PM

Its in Newfoundland Canada, so yes, there is PST and GST which are like VAT at both provincial and federal levels. usually works out to a 14% add on. If you are a Canadian there are ways to write it off on your tax claim, but that would be very specific to your case. usually you just have to pay it....

The other thing about this company, that is more my opinion than anything provable by fact, is, I have never trusted any company from my country that uses the terms "Great White" "Great Northern" or "Great Canadian" in their title. Every single professional service that I have ever dealt with that hides behind this sort of entry level nationalism and cheap flag waving has proven to be bullshit. that's been my experience, there may be exceptions, but flag waving and thumping chest whilst shouting "Canada Number ONE!" just screams bullshit smoke n mirrors to me. Canadians have the unfortunate habit of thinking they are better than everybody else whilst being mostly below average, boring, small-minded and weak. be careful, Canadians are the worst sort of bullshitters, they are bullshitters who are convinced they are righteous honest and correct.

Someone's Got issues.....

And yes I'm From Labrador, ya Troll.
aLongMusk

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 23, 2017, 03:27:28 PM

Avoid like the plague. Nothing but horrible experience. Equipment never got setup after 4+ months (and counting...).
Also see this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2214288.0 and you'll come to understand what Bitmain was feeling.
ethos777

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 04:00:55 AM

Avoid like the plague. Nothing but horrible experience. Equipment never got setup after 4+ months (and counting...).
Also see this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2214288.0 and you'll come to understand what Bitmain was feeling.

I second that. My miners spent 6 weeks there not being connected. They sent them back on my request although they used slowest service possible. It took exactly a month in transit from Canada to USA.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: