Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:58:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't dl blockchain - 'fatal internal error' then segfault  (Read 2807 times)
Nancarrow (OP)

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 10:49:17 PM

I doubt my hardware is broken if absolutely every program on it apart from bitcoin-qt works fine.

My "I know what computers can and can't do" remark was a flippant way of acknowledging that if I see a computer going through an endless loop it is pointless to expect it to change.

I am torturing myself, but no one else, you don't have to read this! Well, maybe I'm torturing knightdk but it seems to be consensual! (And I must repeat I am grateful to knightdk for their help so far)

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 10:59:56 PM

I doubt my hardware is broken if absolutely every program on it apart from bitcoin-qt works fine.

My "I know what computers can and can't do" remark was a flippant way of acknowledging that if I see a computer going through an endless loop it is pointless to expect it to change.

I am torturing myself, but no one else, you don't have to read this! Well, maybe I'm torturing knightdk but it seems to be consensual! (And I must repeat I am grateful to knightdk for their help so far)
knightdk is just working on his required activity for the signature campaign.

What you are doing is just confirming for everyone that you have no idea what you are doing with your machine and you are the perfect mark for an enterprising scammer.

What I'm doing here is trying to discern if this is a natural, genuine stupidity at work or if there was some better hidden ulterior motive. We'll find out in due time.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Nancarrow (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 11:07:56 PM

What you are doing is just confirming for everyone that you have no idea what you are doing with your machine and you are the perfect mark for an enterprising scammer.

What I'm doing here is trying to discern if this is a natural, genuine stupidity at work or if there was some better hidden ulterior motive. We'll find out in due time.

What is at work here is an attempt to learn why my bitcoin-qt client appears not to function correctly, and in doing so, learn more about what exactly it is doing under the hood. If I snark a little sometimes it is because I am frustrated. I'm sure you can figure out who in this thread is helping and who is... well, not.

But please *do* tell me more about my "hidden ulterior motive". I just love hearing strangers explaining mine to me. You can also explain how I am "the perfect mark for an enterprising scammer". While you're at it, have another swipe at knightdk for no discernible reason.

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 11:12:50 PM

1) Why is there a hashMerkleRoot mismatch?
For some reason, this block, block 246159 (according to blockchain.info) is failing validation. Can't really say why. My guess would be that somehow it got corrupted in that file and it is missing some part of the block so the validation fails. This is probably where it gets hung.

2) Why is 71.93.44.219 misbehaving?
3) Why should bitcoin-qt CARE about some node misbehaving when it is allegedly NOT downloading blocks, but simply rebuilding the database on the blocks it has?
Bitcoin Core is still connected to its peers. Each peer receives a banscore based on whether the node thinks it is misbehaving. After the score reaches a certain threshold (default 100), the node should disconncect from the node. It cares whether the node is misbehaving since the misbehaviour involves spam and can eat up your bandwidth.

4) Obvious follow-on... is it, in fact, despite what you said, in *fact* redownloading those blocks after all?
It should still be downloading blocks, just not ones that it already has. The node is constantly receiving and sending data, but it should not be redownloading those blocks, only downloading blocks that it still does not have.

5) After the first 10000 times* of printing this little set of error messages, should not the client somehow grasp that what it is doing is NOT WORKING and, just perhaps, try another node? Or even give up and say "There is something wrong, I'm stopping now."?

*obvious snark - I know what computers can and cannot do. I suppose my snark is really directed at all these coders who must somehow have never seen this behaviour before and never thought to put a little 'break' in that loop.
It should, but I don't know if it actually does (probably not).

Your best bet to fix this would be to just let it completely redownload and reindex the entire blockchain. I know that can be frustrating and time consuming, but it should fix the issues. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling Bitcoin Core.

At least I'm being useful to someone, unlike most people in sig campaigns.

Nancarrow (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 11:35:38 PM

Knightdk: my surprise at seeing that it still cares about 'misbehaving nodes' is due to the fact that it ISN'T downloading any new blocks at all, it has only been reindexing the ones it already has. THAT behaviour makes perfect sense to me - presumably it would have no way to validate newly downloaded blocks until it has validated, reindexed and built a chainstate for all the existing blocks. So I can't blame it for not downloading new blocks, I don't see why it *should*. But then, *given* that it's not doing that, I cannot see what use there would be in connecting to peers at all.

However I don't suppose that's all terribly important. The crucial issue is the apparently corrupted block 246159. I'd just delete the last blk00xxx.dat file, but it seems that rather than reindexing from somewhere fairly recent, it always starts reindexing from the very beginning and ignoring all those other files (even when I *don't* delete them - I've tried it that way, too).

I've also tried removing everything and redownloading the blockchain from scratch...

...AND removing and reinstalling bitcoin-qt. I think that, notwithstanding how I stuck up for my computer hardware, I may have to suck it up and get a new hard drive and put it on there.

Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 11:41:47 PM

What is at work here is an attempt to learn why my bitcoin-qt client appears not to function correctly, and in doing so, learn more about what exactly it is doing under the hood. If I snark a little sometimes it is because I am frustrated. I'm sure you can figure out who in this thread is helping and who is... well, not.

But please *do* tell me more about my "hidden ulterior motive". I just love hearing strangers explaining mine to me. You can also explain how I am "the perfect mark for an enterprising scammer". While you're at it, have another swipe at knightdk for no discernible reason.
Look, this situation is really easy to read, it happened multiple times on this forum.

1) If you are really an inexperienced, frustrated computer user: just run the hardware tests for your machine, memory and disk faults are the most common root source of the problems you're seeing.

2) If your are just another gang of scammers trying to build mutual reputation of fixing the tough computer problems so they can then offer remote assistance using Teamviewer to the fresh marks: this isn't new either, it has been done multiple times already.

This is what makes bitcointalk.org such an anthropologically fascinating place: trying to figure out if this is a new scam or new convolution of old scams.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 11:58:10 PM

Knightdk: my surprise at seeing that it still cares about 'misbehaving nodes' is due to the fact that it ISN'T downloading any new blocks at all, it has only been reindexing the ones it already has. THAT behaviour makes perfect sense to me - presumably it would have no way to validate newly downloaded blocks until it has validated, reindexed and built a chainstate for all the existing blocks. So I can't blame it for not downloading new blocks, I don't see why it *should*. But then, *given* that it's not doing that, I cannot see what use there would be in connecting to peers at all.
It is a completely independent process to connect to nodes that begins before the whole blockchain verification at startup. This runs in another thread independent of the state of the rest of the program.

However I don't suppose that's all terribly important. The crucial issue is the apparently corrupted block 246159. I'd just delete the last blk00xxx.dat file, but it seems that rather than reindexing from somewhere fairly recent, it always starts reindexing from the very beginning and ignoring all those other files (even when I *don't* delete them - I've tried it that way, too).
Looked at the code. It looks like it is hard coded to start at the beginning whenever it is reindexing other than when it is reindexing while syncing.

...AND removing and reinstalling bitcoin-qt. I think that, notwithstanding how I stuck up for my computer hardware, I may have to suck it up and get a new hard drive and put it on there.
Before you do that, as 2112 said, run some diagnostic checks on your memory and hard drive. There should be an option to do this when your computer first starts up.

Nancarrow (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 12:02:44 AM

2112: Now that's a MUCH better response!

Yes, it looks like hardware faults is where it's at. I will try a new hard drive (actually have one lying around) and test the memory.

Re scams: I'm sure you're right about their existence. I don't read that many threads. But their frequency? Surely the ratio of genuine tech problems to mutual-scammer-backscratching must be quite high here? We're not talking about my granny trying to read MS Word documents in Firefox here.

And I may not be that tech savvy, but TeamViewer... come on, dude.  Tongue

Knightdk: will do.

Thanks all.

crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 12:41:56 AM

Could be hard drive fail. Get a program to test it and also find out waht mode the hard drive is in sounds like read error. D oyou get any clicking from it? Or find that when you loading wallet everything slows down to a point cant use anything else?

2 ideas you could try to resolve this to keep using on current hardware if nothing else is is broke only bitcoin.

1 Delete everything in app data folder but backup and keep your wallet safe.  Now download blockchain using torrent and then once it is downloaded drop te .dat file into bitcoin folder in app data and allow it to index all of it and see how or where it gets to. If you get an error doing this could more likely be part read wright error no the drive that is the cause to it.

2 if you needing access to your wallets you could if it will allow you put wallet.dat back into bitcoin folder and dump prive keys on addresses you need access to and use bither I have started to use this wallet since it is lightweight and fast and simple to import wallets directly in from pri key. Am slowly moving away from qt due to the fact of amount of data it uses and should just be like bither light weight effective and does not kill drive space and takes time to load up. bitcoin wallet need to get their act together if they want to go global. Think of it like this if  it went mainstream and a trillion transactions where done in a day or more. How big would the wallet get to use on system and peoples devices. They need to adapt features like in bither or using blockchain wallets.

Hope you manage to resolve your problem or have some usability in accessing your addresses and wallet Smiley

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2015, 01:08:46 AM

2112: Now that's a MUCH better response!

Yes, it looks like hardware faults is where it's at. I will try a new hard drive (actually have one lying around) and test the memory.

Re scams: I'm sure you're right about their existence. I don't read that many threads. But their frequency? Surely the ratio of genuine tech problems to mutual-scammer-backscratching must be quite high here? We're not talking about my granny trying to read MS Word documents in Firefox here.

And I may not be that tech savvy, but TeamViewer... come on, dude.  Tongue

Knightdk: will do.

Thanks all.
Depends on which "ratio" are you asking. You may be right about ratio of people with problems to people scamming. But if you measure ratio by posts not by people, then the scammers are majority, especially in the mining forums.

Some of them possibly even start without evil intentions. But with time they learn that scamming here is easier than shooting fish in the barrel, and it becomes too hard to resist.

I'm kinda disappointed that you've regained your senses and decided to test hardware. Just less than a week ago I had interesting experience of watching similar scam (but one the corporate contract level and not related to Bitcoin) unfold personally in front of my eyes. They key hook was to convince person sitting in front of the computer with 3" floppy drive that there is no working drive there and they need to download the test program instead running one off of the 3" floppy. I learned a lot watching and listening that unfold.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: