Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:24:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should i just move to china and farm bitcoins?  (Read 3629 times)
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 06:50:36 PM

Should i just move to china and set up a small Bitcoin farm ?
Why the heck not, assuming your ok with ~$750/month USD salary!

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:00:10 PM

I would be worried about what happens when China's fickle regime decides to incorporate your farm into the glorious communist state. If your an American you may be surprised at how different business is there. You will have little protection.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
lasvegas83

Activity: 432
Merit: 254

https://cloakcoin.com

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 07:04:24 PM

Very difficult business!

,╓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄╓                
            ╓▄█████████████████▄╖           
         ╓▄█████▀▀'▒,,,,,╠'▀▀█████▄,        
       ,▓███▀╜,▄▄███████████▄▄,╙▀████╖      
      ▄███▀ ▄█████▀▀"``╙"▀▀█████▄ ▀███▄     
     ▓███╜╓████▀ ,▄▄█████▄▄, ▀████,╙███▌    
    ▓███`╔███▀ ╓▓███▀▀▀▀▀████╖ ▀███@"███▌   
   ]███▌┌███▌ ▐███         ███▄ ▐███ ▐███,  
   ▐███ ▐███ .███           ███  ███▌ ███▌  
   ▐███ ▐███ '███           ███  ███▌ ███▌  
   ]███@╙███@ ▀██▌        ,▄██▌ ▐███ ▐███`  
    ▓███ ▐███▄ ╙██▀╩     9███╜ ╔███▀,███▌   
     ████,╙███▌               ▓███╜,████    
      ▀███▄ ▀╜                 ▀▀ ▄███▌     
       ╙████▄,                 ╓▄████╜      
         ╙█████▄▄╓,       ,╓▄▄█████▀        
            ▀▀█████████████████▀▀           
                '▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀'

CloakCoin |  Private, Secure, Untraceable & Decentralized Digital Currency|  Enigma
Telegram | Bitcointalk | Twitter |   Facebook |  Steemit |  Reddit |  CloakTV |  Instagram
Sakarias-Corporation (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2015, 07:22:13 PM

Yes it's risky, but it would be a adventure ! I'm actually going to start saving and we'll see where I end up in 10 months

chalkboard17

Activity: 484
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 08:26:30 PM

I would be worried about what happens when China's fickle regime decides to incorporate your farm into the glorious communist state. If your an American you may be surprised at how different business is there. You will have little protection.
That's much more likely to happen in the US under IRS. What you describe would be more likely in Latin America than China. I have never heard of such things in China. Argentina and Venezuela on the other hand...

▄▄  ▄▄                
            ██  ▀▀  ▀▀   ██           
        ██                   ██

██  ██  ▄▄            
     ██    ██           ▀▀  ▄▄        
                  ███       ▀▀        
   ██    ██   ███      ███     ██     
                          ███         
  ██   ██   ██    ███ ███    ▄▄   ██  
               ███           ▀▀       
  ██   ██  ███           ███  ██   ██ 
                     ███              
    ▄▄  ██    ███ ███     ▄▄  ██   ██ 
    ▀▀    ▄▄              ▀▀          
      ▄▄  ▀▀          ███    ██   ██  
      ▀▀      ██  ███                 
         ██              ███    ███   
             ██  ██  ███              
       ██                    ██       
           ███  ▄▄▄  ▄▄  ███          
                ▀▀▀  ▀▀               

STREAMITY

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
  Telegram
LinkedIn
Medium
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 09:46:04 PM

Yes it's risky, but it would be a adventure ! I'm actually going to start saving and we'll see where I end up in 10 months

In case you are serious, I'd still like to know what numbers you're using. China is not the place for cheap electricity, but for cheap labor and building materials. You can get cheaper electricity than the cheapest rates in China practically anywhere in northern Europe or North America.
jimmothy

View Profile
June 08, 2015, 10:05:06 PM

Should i just move to china and set up a small Bitcoin farm ?
Why the heck not, assuming your ok with ~$750/month USD salary!

I think you mean negative $750/month salary..
Glucose

Activity: 861
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 07:39:48 AM

If you really decide to do so, keep us updated I'm curious about your experience ! :-)
MonkeyCoin11

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 06:29:40 AM

I think you shouldn't try to start a business in mining.
Do it as a passion, but the price is too low and the difficulty to high, you will lose money or earn pratically nothing.

If you really want to do it, I think china is not so bad, the electricity is not much cheaper but all miners a producted there so you will save money in shipping, custom duties, vat and probably other fee that you can have.
But why the hell would you leave all your friends to start a business that won't give you anymoney ?
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 07:42:22 PM

One other question I would add:

Do you already speak Chinese, and are you familiar withe culture and customs?

While I personally think it unwise to "chase BTC around the world", that's your choice to make. If it actually pans out as a currency it will be silly to have done so (IMHO).

After the next 20 years, there can't be any real money in a Bitcoin mining facility. After all, do the guys running the data centers that do the rest of the financial system make money on their slender fees in moving money and accounting?
mwizard

Activity: 203

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 05:44:51 AM

In case you are serious, I'd still like to know what numbers you're using. China is not the place for cheap electricity, but for cheap labor and building materials. You can get cheaper electricity than the cheapest rates in China practically anywhere in northern Europe or North America.

The discussion on a major bitcoin mine at the Bitcoin mining discussion "Three months living in a multi-petahash BTC mine in Kangding, Sichuan, China" gives the price they are paying for electricity as RMB 0.2 per kWh or about $USD 0.03 per kWh.  That is really cheap and cheaper then anywhere I know in North America.   The thread is definitely worth a read if interesting in mining in China.

Eric,
At $150,000 [usd I assume] a month for power just how many kWh is that?

I don't remember that I said we paid $150,000 per month. But the number shouldn't be not too far off the mark either. Right now we have 11,377 S3 running - looking at the monitoring software now. And we pay RMB 0.2 per kWh. The math shouldn't be hard.
PenguinFire

Activity: 154

That Darn Cat

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 05:55:35 AM

if all three of you are already seriously considering this, id say start looking into places for housing and hosting your mining farm; if you can get clean electricity thats even better and cheaper (just a passing thought)

"Clean electricity"?  That would make many people's mind explod describing Chinese electricity.  Clean energy and China should never be in the same sentence.  Cheesy

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 07:09:27 AM

One other question I would add:

Do you already speak Chinese, and are you familiar withe culture and customs?

While I personally think it unwise to "chase BTC around the world", that's your choice to make. If it actually pans out as a currency it will be silly to have done so (IMHO).

After the next 20 years, there can't be any real money in a Bitcoin mining facility. After all, do the guys running the data centers that do the rest of the financial system make money on their slender fees in moving money and accounting?

besides this, having cheap electricity will not help that much your mining activity, it will be still far to difficult to earn something and make roi, there is no competition anymore for casual miner who are not willing to spend a tons, for building a big farm to compete with all the already big established farm
mwizard

Activity: 203

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 07:14:42 AM

if all three of you are already seriously considering this, id say start looking into places for housing and hosting your mining farm; if you can get clean electricity thats even better and cheaper (just a passing thought)

"Clean electricity"?  That would make many people's mind explod describing Chinese electricity.  Clean energy and China should never be in the same sentence.  Cheesy

The large Bitcoin mine discussed in the bitcoin > mining tread "Three months living in a multi-petahash BTC mine in Kangding, Sichuan, China" is next to a hydroelectricity dam.  That is the reason the electricity is cheap (and clean).

China has extensive hydro power but much of it is a long way from the cities.  Chinese Bitcoin miners are able to get cheap access to to this power by locating near the dams.  This is similar to the reason KNC in Sweden is located near hydro power.
jimmothy

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 07:53:01 AM

The discussion on a major bitcoin mine at the Bitcoin mining discussion "Three months living in a multi-petahash BTC mine in Kangding, Sichuan, China" gives the price they are paying for electricity as RMB 0.2 per kWh or about $USD 0.03 per kWh.  That is really cheap and cheaper then anywhere I know in North America.   The thread is definitely worth a read if interesting in mining in China.

http://cointelegraph.com/news/114474/inside-a-tibetan-bitcoin-mine-the-race-for-cheap-energy

This article about the same mine says $0.045/kwh. Either way, $0.03/kwh is not the cheapest. There are places in North America/Europe with power at ~$0.02/kwh.

China has extensive hydro power but much of it is a long way from the cities.  Chinese Bitcoin miners are able to get cheap access to to this power by locating near the dams.  This is similar to the reason KNC in Sweden is located near hydro power.

The difference is that in China they have to move their farms out in the middle of nowhere, completely away from any cities, whereas in Europe/America they can set up mines near or in cities.

I don't think the OP is planning on moving to some desolate mountain in Tibet just to set up a mine with a few KW. Sounds like he thought electricity all over China is ultra cheap when it's really not.
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 08:25:17 AM

Is it really necessary to MOVE to China in order to run a mining farm there?

Can't you just rent some space and hire some local labour to look after it?
jimmothy

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 08:30:31 AM

Is it really necessary to MOVE to China in order to run a mining farm there?

Can't you just rent some space and hire some local labour to look after it?

Are you forgetting that the Chinese mines are located nowhere near the cities?

Hiring random people from another country to look after your farm sounds like a great way to get all your hardware stolen with zero possible recourse.
Sakarias-Corporation (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2015, 01:58:56 PM

how much BTC would you guys consider a good start for doing this ? (only gear wise, as in miners)

jimmothy

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 03:51:04 PM

how much BTC would you guys consider a good start for doing this ? (only gear wise, as in miners)

Depends on how much money you want to lose.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 06:12:05 PM

you need at least to aims at 1% of the network, i think, otherwise there is not even a remotely competition for you

with this in mind you need 3 petahash, which mean 3k antminers s5(not exactly but, just to have easy numbers), 1 antminers is 1.5 btc more or less, so we are looking at 4.5k btc to invest, and this counting only the miners
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: