Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:31:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-06-05] CD: Bitcoin Stolen at Gunpoint in New York City Robbery  (Read 629 times)
Grand_Voyageur (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 06:41:36 PM

Bitcoin Stolen at Gunpoint in New York City Robbery

An unidentified 28-year-old man was robbed of more than $1,100 in bitcoin at gunpoint in New York City late last month.

The robbery took place after the man, from Crown Heights, Brooklyn, met up for an in-person bitcoin sale arranged over online classifieds platform Craigslist on 27th May, according to a report by DNAinfo.

A representative for the New York Police Department (NYPD) confirmed the report when reached.

Full story: http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-stolen-new-york-gunpoint-robbery/

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 08:43:53 PM

I would never live anywhere near New York City. The "28-year-old man" is lucky to still be alive.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 09:00:40 PM

Not sure why anyone would sell over $1K worth of anything on his own in general.

Always take some one with you just in case. But then again, you can't do much when trash is pointing a gun at your face.
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 09:14:16 PM

the victim should have simply done the deal inside of any local police station. simple as that. as soon the buyer says "come with me" or "we have to go to my car" deal is off.

if you've ever been ripped off in any sort of street transaction, you'll know what to look for. There is ZERO reason to be anything but straight forward and open, on both parties side. Anything else says "SCAM!"

be safe, not sorry.
Ghepetto

Activity: 285
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 05, 2015, 10:35:06 PM

Glad he made it out alive...

But anyone who climbs into a car to make a deal in Brooklyn is out of their cotton picking mind.  He was probably some bumpkin who just moved there with zero street smarts, I bet he learned something that day.

The Bitcoin Center is downtown and a short ride on the L train from Crooklyn, he should have went there.  

Moral of the story is don't hop in a strangers car you met on CRAIGSLIST to sell them over a thousand dollars of anything, ever, anywhere, let alone New York City.  Just plain old common sense, if you have none then you are meat for the grinder in NYC.

--------------------Bagholder Extraordinaire--------------------
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1557

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2015, 10:45:52 PM

CNBC also covered the story:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102737187

What's interesting, the first similar case of firefighter robbed out of bitcoins turns out to be bullshit:

The Observer article said that a New York City firefighter had been stabbed during a robbery of bitcoins that he had agreed to sell. But police on Friday told CNBC that that robbery, which occurred on Feb. 9, "is not bitcoin related." The firefighter's credit card and PIN number were stolen, and he was stabbed in the arm, police said.

Anyhow, the seller was clearly lacking a common sense.

.airbet.
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██

▄████▄▄▄██████▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████▀▀▀▀████
██████████████
▀███▀███████▄██
██████████▄███
██████████████
███████████████
███████████████
██████████████
█████▐████████
██████▀███████▀
▄███████████████▄
████████████████
█░██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████░█░███████
████████████████
█████████████████
██████████████░█
████████████████
▀███████████████▀
██▄▄▄
████████▄▄
██████▀▀████▄
██████▄░░████▄
██████████████
████████░░▀███▌
░████████▄▄████
██████████████▌
███░░░█████████
█████████░░░██▀
░░░███████████▀
██████░░░██▀
░░▀▀███▀

6,000+
GAMES
|
WEEKLY
PROMOS
....100%....
1ST DEPOSIT
BONUS
....125%.....
2ND DEPOSIT
BONUS
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██

██
.PLAY NOW.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2015, 12:03:14 AM

I know I shouldn't do this but can't help it . LMAO !!!  no one should ever get anyone car for any  reason to sell or buy anything even out in the SUBS. and not just in NYC that's in any city in the USA.

I lived in the streets for about 10 years they don't care one way or the other.

but this was so dam funny, made my day.

Sorry about seeming insensitive temptation was to great .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2015, 12:07:49 AM

Economically and potentially physically suicidal to trade BTC in NYC, if you don't go through metal detectors with armed security at all access points (ie courthouses). Or just violate "gun control", because violent criminals give zero fucks and have all the guns they want at all times everywhere else.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: