Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:53:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disc Golfers? Here's the thread.  (Read 812 times)
Electricbees (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

We are bees, and we hate you.

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:09:13 AM

I've recently taken up the sport of Disc Golf, and have found it to be very enjoyable, and challenging too.

Anyone else on Bitcointalk play disc golf? (Frolf?)
Anyone who does; are you any good?

I've been playing for about 6 months now, and have found several courses in my locale to play at. Some flat, and some very hilly and wooded. I love the wooded courses, as the designers made the baskets ridiculously hard to ace, or even make par on. Challenge is fun.

I'm just now learning how to make my disc S-out and have been working on balance and footwork when teeing off. I can get some monster drives in at about 275-300 feet, but most of the time, It's more around 175-200.

The plastics companies use are fascinating. Durability, grippiness, colors, weight... All the science behind the discs is really neat. I'm discovering however, that to the novice, pretty much every disc will fly the same; Kind of Crappy.

So again, anyone on the forums play? Got tips? Experiences? Favorite discs? Courses? Stuff you don't use that you want to sell me? Grin

Come on in and talk about it! I wanna talk disc-golf.

Donations are welcome!
1BEES19ds5gEnRBoU1qNFPfjRXe94trMG3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:32:56 AM

Oh heck yes, I am all over disc golfing.  I always do my distance shots forehand with an Eagle.  All the pro's do it backhand, but I've never made great distance that way.

Getting a new course in Eugene soon, I am excited for it!
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:38:36 AM

Ha, I used to play all the time. My little brother plays nearly everyday. I too throw my better distance shots forehand, but I try to throw backhand now because of a shoulder injury. Favorite disc is a Wraith, by far. I have a bagful of discs but that's pretty much all I throw.
goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:48:18 AM

A sport named "Frolf"? Angels in heaven what's next?!

Electricbees (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:57:06 AM

Oh heck yes, I am all over disc golfing.  I always do my distance shots forehand with an Eagle.  All the pro's do it backhand, but I've never made great distance that way.

Getting a new course in Eugene soon, I am excited for it!

I used to only do forehand shots. First disc was a Firebird DX, (It's my mangled, lend-to-buddy disc now)
That puppy would fly straight and true with forehands every time.
I can't get a wind up on forehands though. So I eventually shifted to backhand and now that's where all my distance is. Forehand only works now when I need something to curve right instead of left in the woods. Can't outthrow others anymore now that we're all versed in backhand.

Ha, I used to play all the time. My little brother plays nearly everyday. I too throw my better distance shots forehand, but I try to throw backhand now because of a shoulder injury. Favorite disc is a Wraith, by far. I have a bagful of discs but that's pretty much all I throw.

Wraith is my go-to as of now. I also have a Boss, but it flies too straight for me. The wraith really likes to S-out and dive. The Boss keeps on trucking into the bushes in the wrong direction. Tongue

The wraith I have glows in the dark too, by lovely happenstance. Friends and I used to tape glow-sticks inside the rim and outside too, but now I don't have to do that. (And get to keep the awesome flight characteristics unmolested by taping random shit to my disc!)

On a different note, either of you guys good at the overhead (Tomahawk) shots? Buddies and I played a whole course using it, and where they could get discs to roll over and spin in the air, mine ALWAYS flies at the exact angle released. Which is almost perfectly perpendicular to the ground. That shot is frustrating the hell out of me. (It would be extra useful when I play in the woods...)

Donations are welcome!
Electricbees (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 04:57:58 AM

A sport named "Frolf"? Angels in heaven what's next?!

It's been around for quite a long time. Sounds lame, but it's quite the contrary!  Wink

Donations are welcome!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 05:36:59 AM

Yeah, I can do tomahawks just fine.  It might help to practice with a full-size frisbee first - they tend to do it easier.  You definitely do have to release it nearly "flat" to the ground though, vs perpendicular to it, or you're right, it'll just turn into a roller.  Start the throw with the disc up and down, and end the throw with the disc flat, upside down.  If that makes sense...
Electricbees (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 05:50:45 AM

Yeah, I can do tomahawks just fine.  It might help to practice with a full-size frisbee first - they tend to do it easier.  You definitely do have to release it nearly "flat" to the ground though, vs perpendicular to it, or you're right, it'll just turn into a roller.  Start the throw with the disc up and down, and end the throw with the disc flat, upside down.  If that makes sense...
That does make sense... Hrm. I have some ultimate discs that I can try that with. I'll see how it goes!

A friend of mine has the most acrobatic tomahawks; they're a sight to see. He releases at some angle, I have no idea what. The disc starts perpendicular, turns upside down and cuts left, HARD. It then continues turning on it's axis, and starts right, where is flies gently, and then bombs abruptly. Over the flight course, it probably only goes about 100 ft forward, but strafes left and right for maybe 30-40 feet in each direction. The amount of movement it does really seems to defy logic and physics all together.

Donations are welcome!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: