Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:26:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is mining dead ?  (Read 12909 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 01:54:03 PM

Mining keeps being unprofitable for the most,but there is some that can be able to roi on the next months and keep the miner active,when bitcoin reach above values,sure there is new miners and solo miners still trying to mine btc as they can afford it.

Yup! That is why bitcoin is going up $300 ATM, this is a sign that mining is still alive and it is great that when I hear mining enthusiast and changing their thoughts about mining Grin

And this is HUGE for miners I was profitable at 230.... so I was not hurting to bad during then.  Bring it up to 300 a coin... and I'm doing and feeling pretty good right now.

Mining is far from dead.   I think it's a pretty good period for it during this change.
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 04:22:08 PM

Mining keeps being unprofitable for the most,but there is some that can be able to roi on the next months and keep the miner active,when bitcoin reach above values,sure there is new miners and solo miners still trying to mine btc as they can afford it.

Yup! That is why bitcoin is going up $300 ATM, this is a sign that mining is still alive and it is great that when I hear mining enthusiast and changing their thoughts about mining Grin

And this is HUGE for miners I was profitable at 230.... so I was not hurting to bad during then.  Bring it up to 300 a coin... and I'm doing and feeling pretty good right now.

Mining is far from dead.   I think it's a pretty good period for it during this change.

Yep, my only regret right now is, it has gotten harder to get good deals since people that were on the verge of selling their S5's are mostly keeping them for the time being.
Still some deals are about but many aren't pressed to sell unless they need room for better miners, right now.

It is a good time to be a miner right now.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Meech

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 03:59:42 AM

Mining is not dead.  It may not be so profitable right now but things change. 
Mining for profit and income you will need to invest some dough if you didn't get in early.
But for me it can only be a hobby right now, you have to overcome the power to profit in order to expand.  A Hobby/obsession but I digress. 
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 06:39:02 AM

Yep, my only regret right now is, it has gotten harder to get good deals since people that were on the verge of selling their S5's are mostly keeping them for the time being.
Still some deals are about but many aren't pressed to sell unless they need room for better miners, right now.

There is a flip side to it though.  It means the miners you currently have will do better at keeping value with BTC prices going up.   Which having them worth something someday when I sell and switch miners which is nice bump in ROI's.

But for some one trying to acquire miners yes it would suck for sure.
YuginKadoya
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1169

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 09:29:47 AM

Yup! I also believe in that, mining is not dead at all, I wish bitcoin can keep the pace up, and youre saying at 230 that is profitable then how well is your profit now that it is in 300? Grin
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 04:56:10 PM

There is a flip side to it though.  It means the miners you currently have will do better at keeping value with BTC prices going up.   Which having them worth something someday when I sell and switch miners which is nice bump in ROI's.

But for some one trying to acquire miners yes it would suck for sure.

Indeed, at 230 i was considering getting rid of my S1 one way or another, as the theoretical costs vs profitability was almost nullifying one another. However now they became profitable again, and thus i'm considering retiring my Zeus X3 first instead, since Scrypt has been going down the drain steadily since the LTC halving.

It look like i will be solely mining BTC from now on.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
traderbit

Activity: 798

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 05:00:32 PM

If there is no mining then there will not exist bitcoin, right?
I think that mining will not get dead as soon as new hardware are in the market.
When July comes then we will see how many devices will die because of no profit.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 05:09:25 PM

I think that mining will not get dead as soon as new hardware are in the market.
When July comes then we will see how many devices will die because of no profit.

As long as BTC live, mining will never be dead "dead". When people say "damnit mining is dead" they are talking about themselves, in their conditions. Mining is not dead for people with better conditions than that person and that will remain true as long as Bitcoin lives.

Its a definite fact because if something very bad happen and BTC lose 70% of its value, mining will "die" for many, but it will normalize on 30% of its remaining value after the difficulty drop.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
traderbit

Activity: 798

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2015, 05:13:30 PM

As long as BTC live, mining will never be dead "dead". When people say "damnit mining is dead" they are talking about themselves, in their conditions. Mining is not dead for people with better conditions than that person and that will remain true as long as Bitcoin lives.

Its a definite fact because if something very bad happen and BTC lose 70% of its value, mining will "die" for many, but it will normalize on 30% of its remaining value after the difficulty drop.

That's the point if there is no mining i think that bitcoin will disappear.
Mining itself will continue and i think that the new technology hardware will make it easier.
At least more profitable than the old mining rigs which for now and from July will not worth using them.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 05:17:23 PM

Mining itself will continue and i think that the new technology hardware will make it easier.
At least more profitable than the old mining rigs which for now and from July will not worth using them.

New technology doesn't help mining, it just make previous generations obsolete. Mining will ever end, and can never kill Bitcoin, it is the other way around. As long as BTC hold value, there will be mining. Because as long as BTC has value, mining has value.

As long as there is value, people will do it.

Its just a matter of perspective. For instance last months before the BTC raise, people were complaining/sadly saying they already were nearly breaking even by mining with a S5.

Meanwhile for many, it is still profitable to mine with S3 or even S1 or perhaps even worse ASICs.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 05:51:25 PM

New technology doesn't help mining, it just make previous generations obsolete. Mining will ever end, and can never kill Bitcoin, it is the other way around. As long as BTC hold value, there will be mining. Because as long as BTC has value, mining has value.

Its just a matter of perspective. For instance last months before the BTC raise, people were complaining/sadly saying they already were nearly breaking even by mining with a S5.

Meanwhile for many, it is still profitable to mine with S3 or even S1 or perhaps even worse ASICs.

For those who pay electricity it does help on new miners as they normally have better efficiency.  And there becomes a time a miner when paying electricity is not bringing in enough, or some not at all.   This is when you sell and upgrade generations.

Without new efficiency and difficulty going up eventually no one but cheap or free could mine.   So there is a purpose new gear serves for most miners as electricity costs money.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 05:56:55 PM

For those who pay electricity it does help on new miners as they normally have better efficiency.  And there becomes a time a miner when paying electricity is not bringing in enough, or some not at all.   This is when you sell and upgrade generations.

Without new efficiency and difficulty going up eventually no one but cheap or free could mine.   So there is a purpose new gear serves for most miners as electricity costs money.

There is, but the reason difficulty go up in the first place, is because more hardware is being produced in the first place.

If no hardware was ever more efficient than 0.5J/GH, then we would eventually hit a cap, where it would only be more profitable to invest in even more of these miners if the price of BTC raise.

Basically, now we're also fighting over who gets the most efficient hardware, if that was removed from the equation, it would probably be better off for miners.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 06:04:01 PM

There is, but the reason difficulty go up in the first place, is because more hardware is being produced in the first place.

If no hardware was ever more efficient than 0.5J/GH, then we would eventually hit a cap, where it would only be more profitable to invest in even more of these miners if the price of BTC raise.

Basically, now we're also fighting over who gets the most efficient hardware, if that was removed from the equation, it would probably be better off for miners.

If they did not have new chips they would just make the same miners with same efficiency.  Having old technology would not stop companies from making miners, as a lot pay very little on big data centers.  So difficulty would still go up.

Difficulty is not going to sit still, this just wot happen no matter what situation is.  It can move slower upwards.... but not remain the same (assuming BTC does not crash or something hugely go wrong)

As someone who pay's electricity I can tell you new miners are a good thing overall.  Only way I can see people not thinking so is "free" miners or extremely cheap electricity miners.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 08:06:58 PM

If they did not have new chips they would just make the same miners with same efficiency.  Having old technology would not stop companies from making miners, as a lot pay very little on big data centers.  So difficulty would still go up.

Difficulty is not going to sit still, this just wot happen no matter what situation is.  It can move slower upwards.... but not remain the same (assuming BTC does not crash or something hugely go wrong)

As someone who pay's electricity I can tell you new miners are a good thing overall.  Only way I can see people not thinking so is "free" miners or extremely cheap electricity miners.

Yes, like people in china, and it does not matter if the companies would continue let say, make S5 forever if there is nothing better.
In a world where more people online S5 when the hashrate network would already be saturated with S5, this means someone found cheaper electricity than others, and thus will knock off other people with less cheap electricity.

The diff will go up a smidgen and will then normalize. The only time more S5 will be onlined if the whole world was running S5 is if its still profitable, and it is only so in that case.

Hence the difficulty would pretty much stagnate. Albeit slowly upward as people setup their next Farm in a more profitable farm.

Hence the only reason you and i want more efficient hardware, is to stay competitive with the difficulty going up, which is going up because huge data center of hardware is being onlined somewhere they pay 10 to 100 times less than us.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 04:43:21 AM

Yes, like people in china, and it does not matter if the companies would continue let say, make S5 forever if there is nothing better.
In a world where more people online S5 when the hashrate network would already be saturated with S5, this means someone found cheaper electricity than others, and thus will knock off other people with less cheap electricity.

The diff will go up a smidgen and will then normalize. The only time more S5 will be onlined if the whole world was running S5 is if its still profitable, and it is only so in that case.

Hence the difficulty would pretty much stagnate. Albeit slowly upward as people setup their next Farm in a more profitable farm.

Hence the only reason you and i want more efficient hardware, is to stay competitive with the difficulty going up, which is going up because huge data center of hardware is being onlined somewhere they pay 10 to 100 times less than us.

I don't think you can say it will "normalize".   With cheap electricity and if it is profitable even if they were not researching new gear, they would pump out the same gear and expand mining in many places.  So difficulty keeps going up really no matter what happens.

Only thing I see that could hurt difficulty is having.  If at having it makes it where a lot have to drop off... who knows what will happen.  It's just not something we can predict.  But it's actually looking not to bad if BTC value keeps going up.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 05:15:57 AM

I don't think you can say it will "normalize".   With cheap electricity and if it is profitable even if they were not researching new gear, they would pump out the same gear and expand mining in many places.  So difficulty keeps going up really no matter what happens.

Only thing I see that could hurt difficulty is having.  If at having it makes it where a lot have to drop off... who knows what will happen.  It's just not something we can predict.  But it's actually looking not to bad if BTC value keeps going up.

Thats not really possible (to keep on buying), it will "normalize" to the electricity price. For instance if people keep buying and putting hardware on 0.01$/kWh, thats going to lower the profitability by raising the difficulty, eventually it will not be profitable to get more hardware run on 0.01$/kWh.

The only way to get more profit would be to run it on less than 0.01$/kWh.

For the halving... i think this one is going to be more chaotic than the first one, but we'll have to wait and see what it does to the home miners.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Jake-R

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 05:24:21 AM

If they did not have new chips they would just make the same miners with same efficiency.  Having old technology would not stop companies from making miners, as a lot pay very little on big data centers.  So difficulty would still go up.

Difficulty is not going to sit still, this just wot happen no matter what situation is.  It can move slower upwards.... but not remain the same (assuming BTC does not crash or something hugely go wrong)

As someone who pay's electricity I can tell you new miners are a good thing overall.  Only way I can see people not thinking so is "free" miners or extremely cheap electricity miners.

I don't think you can say it will "normalize".   With cheap electricity and if it is profitable even if they were not researching new gear, they would pump out the same gear and expand mining in many places.  So difficulty keeps going up really no matter what happens.

Only thing I see that could hurt difficulty is having.  If at having it makes it where a lot have to drop off... who knows what will happen.  It's just not something we can predict.  But it's actually looking not to bad if BTC value keeps going up.

Thats not really possible (to keep on buying), it will "normalize" to the electricity price. For instance if people keep buying and putting hardware on 0.01$/kWh, thats going to lower the profitability by raising the difficulty, eventually it will not be profitable to get more hardware run on 0.01$/kWh.

For the halving... i think this one is going to be more chaotic than the first one, but we'll have to wait and see what it does to the home miners.

I agree, this halving will be dramatic. Here in Reno, Nevada electricity rates recently dropped to $0.08/KWHr but that is still no where near the $0.01 or $0.001 the non-"green" countries can produce.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 05:45:28 AM

I guess I might not be doing a good job of explaining my thoughts.  I would think coin prices would still go up.  They would not find a price and stay or normalize there.

With BTC going up in price they could continue to  make gear and make profit (in a lot of cases not all).   To normalize as you put it to be at a point where btc price stays in same place and difficulty I just don't think this would ever happen in real life.  You might be able to come up with a fictional thing were it does this.  But from past we have never really ever seen this.

Even now in past weeks look at BTC price it show's it does not stay the same and can be hard predict BTC prices over time.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 10:15:12 AM

Mining BTC on SHA256 asics is most profitable way to do it anymore.

Too many factors involved for that statement to be 100% accurate.

Litecoin mining for folks that already own Titans was a little MORE profitable last summer than Bitcoin mining with S5/SP20 already owned gear. Alcheminer/clone and A2 based gear could argue the point.

The current rapid rise in Bitcoin pricing is also largely being reflected in Litecoin pricing, but Litecoin difficulty hasn't (yet) been going up to match. Both have gotten a LOT more profitable in the last week, and if the current price rise holds up, it might manage to make buying S7/Avalon6/BEleven gear able to achieve RoI with non-super-cheap electric.

Then again, the price could start collapsing again tomorrow, and this prove to be just a BIG pump-and-dump.

I suspect the price will stay up and probably keep climbing for a while, though - the economic news out of China the last week has NOT been good, and the current escalating "push-back" on China's South China Sea push isn't helping the uncertainty in the region.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 04:33:58 PM

Mining BTC on SHA256 asics is most profitable way to do it anymore.

Too many factors involved for that statement to be 100% accurate.

Litecoin mining for folks that already own Titans was a little MORE profitable last summer than Bitcoin mining with S5/SP20 already owned gear. Alcheminer/clone and A2 based gear could argue the point.

The current rapid rise in Bitcoin pricing is also largely being reflected in Litecoin pricing, but Litecoin difficulty hasn't (yet) been going up to match. Both have gotten a LOT more profitable in the last week, and if the current price rise holds up, it might manage to make buying S7/Avalon6/BEleven gear able to achieve RoI with non-super-cheap electric.

Then again, the price could start collapsing again tomorrow, and this prove to be just a BIG pump-and-dump.

I suspect the price will stay up and probably keep climbing for a while, though - the economic news out of China the last week has NOT been good, and the current escalating "push-back" on China's South China Sea push isn't helping the uncertainty in the region.

Part of it is litecoin has halved and it was main coin for most to mine.   And some gear is getting pretty dated.  BTC gear it seems a few machines a year at least.    But with scrypt only new one in a long while was SFards which disappeared.  So they are mining with more and more dated gear.

With the newer efficient BTC gear and recent higher value on BTC I think it is better in most cases of mining. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: