Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:24:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to protect against the bitcoin robbery?  (Read 1718 times)
Huobi-USD (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 08:26:27 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2015, 09:02:20 AM by Huobi-USD

Bitcoin Stolen at Gunpoint in New York City Robbery
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-stolen-new-york-gunpoint-robbery/

Huobi Secure and Trustworthy!
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1353

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:35:20 AM

What kind of robbery? In the physical world or in the virtual world? Kindly specify what kind of robbery are we talking here. Smiley
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:43:30 AM

I guess the question is:
What do you to, if someone asks you at gunpoint for all the Bitcoin you have on you or how to we prevent that?
At some point, robbers will know, that you most probably have a wallet on your phone.
The most reasonable answer in my opinion is: Don't have too much money on your phone.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:48:04 AM

In my country, no normal people is allowed to have gun. So there's no need to worry. If my phone was stolen, I could just quickly recover it following Mycelium steps on their website.

I guess the question is:
What do you to, if someone asks you at gunpoint for all the Bitcoin you have on you or how to we prevent that?
At some point, robbers will know, that you most probably have a wallet on your phone.
The most reasonable answer in my opinion is: Don't have too much money on your phone.

My phone (Mycelium) store all the Bitcoin I have. I use it because it is easier to access. There is no need to open computer whenever I need them. Just in case, I might be storing some in my computer sometime later.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
rax

Activity: 86
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 08:59:49 AM

Using a paper wallet and signing your transactions on an airgapped machine.
Huobi-USD (OP)

Activity: 133

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 09:03:37 AM

What kind of robbery? In the physical world or in the virtual world? Kindly specify what kind of robbery are we talking here. Smiley

Thanks for the heads up. Just reedit the topic. Tongue

Huobi Secure and Trustworthy!
egyproductions

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 10:00:05 AM

don't meet randomly people from craigslist unless its in a public place.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 10:41:11 AM

I think that most bitcoin robbed (i.e. stolen) is done in the virtual world, but I've seen a news few months ago that about 10 bitcoins were stolen in a physical trade (when the buyer don't pay the fiat to the seller)...
However since all bitcoin transactions are traceable, we can track the route of the bitcoins. This is one of the advantage of bitcoin.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 10:41:54 AM

this is the same with any other type of money, why it should be different  with bitcoin? they are just spreading fud again?

don't meet with strangesr when there is another stranger with him, or in a non public place, or if he look like a criminal(some times you can tell this clearly)

bring a friend with you, or bring your own weapon at least, this is a bit excessive but critical situations call for drastic measures, especially if you are trading with a big amount....
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 10:51:26 AM

well thats a bad news for sure, but just imagine that BTC is not different from fiat money, in that way, i mean that just dont have too much money on your phone, you can use multiple accounts and just store some of your daily BTC expenses on one account, that way if you get robbed you will not lost a lot of money.

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 10:59:04 AM

In my country, no normal people is allowed to have gun. So there's no need to worry. If my phone was stolen, I could just quickly recover it following Mycelium steps on their website.
My phone (Mycelium) store all the Bitcoin I have. I use it because it is easier to access. There is no need to open computer whenever I need them. Just in case, I might be storing some in my computer sometime later.

1. People not being allowed to carry or own a gun by law apsolutely does not mean that they wont have one.
2. It doesn't matter which client you use if you are forced at gunpoint to send ur coins. There's no recovery or chargeback when it's done. Read the topic, it's about a robbery, not a lost device with wallet.

There was a story about a firefighter some time ago, that also had similar case; i thought people learned from his mistake and stopped making back alley transactions.
I exchange person to person sometimes too, ofter with a nice sums of money, but it's always in an open public place, it's just the safest thing to do.
You show that you have claimed balance, but don't unlock you wallet, they pay up, and then you send them coins; easy as that. If they don't like the terms, i walk away, and that's that.

cheers
ajareselde
Legendary

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 11:09:42 AM

Initially the robbers will take you to somewhere and after that they force you to do transaction with their gun pointing at you. You can prevent this situation with the ways:
1. never agree to do transaction in somewhere they will take you to, just do in the crowded place
2. make sure the identity of your clients before do transaction
3. take your friend to accompany you in transaction process
4. prepare a gun in your pocket (if you have it legally  Grin)

1. i agree
2. theres little chance anyone will give you their identity with such transactions, for the same reason you wont give them yours.
3. If they have company, you should have it aswell, but that is agreed before the actual deal is to be made by both sides, imho, it's best to do 1 on 1
4. That's insane to propose. By having a gun you risk much more than you gain. Nobody will shoot you in the public place anyways, and if ure a sane person, niether will you.
    No-go on this one; by carrying you are opening up a possibility of things going the wrong way.

cheers
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 11:12:32 AM

I guess the question is:

I kitchen knife would also be sufficient. No need for a gun.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 01:58:49 PM

I guess the question is:

Bingo.
spazzdla
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 01:59:59 PM

1. People not being allowed to carry or own a gun by law apsolutely does not mean that they wont have one.
2. It doesn't matter which client you use if you are forced at gunpoint to send ur coins. There's no recovery or chargeback when it's done. Read the topic, it's about a robbery, not a lost device with wallet.

There was a story about a firefighter some time ago, that also had similar case; i thought people learned from his mistake and stopped making back alley transactions.
I exchange person to person sometimes too, ofter with a nice sums of money, but it's always in an open public place, it's just the safest thing to do.
You show that you have claimed balance, but don't unlock you wallet, they pay up, and then you send them coins; easy as that. If they don't like the terms, i walk away, and that's that.

cheers

This guy gets it!! UNlike most of the dumbass public.. God the average person is so fucking stupid..

The idea making it Illegal will 100% prevent it.. only a complete and utter fuck tard could think this.
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 02:00:58 PM

Well seing as you posted a link to the gun robbery then I assume you mean protecting yourself when selling BTC in person? If so, then the answer is simple. Always keep to a public place. Don't make the mistake this guy did and be persuaded to follow him to his car or any private area for that matter. If you're in public then you're almost entirely safe.
BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 02:34:02 PM

The point is how is your bitcoin being robbed if they didnt know you have a lot of it unless you blabbering all out to every people that you meet because it is digital coin and you played it online. How are they suppose to know how many you got or did you use it or not? Lets not talked about it anyway, so lets back on topic, I dont know whether you want to save it or to protect it you should turn all of your bitcoin to paper wallet and save it in the safest place. That is the most good things that you can do for now
The Young Turk
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1013

DAVID CHAUM's xx coin SALE IS NOW LIVE!

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 02:36:28 PM

- Don't make a deal without escrow. (Ps: escrow might be robber's friend be careful).
- Choose safe spots to make exchange (of course in daylight & crowd public).

Also you may hire a guard with a firearm to feel safe Grin

███████                   
                      ██████████                        ██       
                       ████████████                  ███       
                                ██████████           █████       
                                        ███████      ██████         
██████                  ███████     ████
████████                ██████     ██   
██████████        ████████           
███████████    █████████           
████████    ████████

███████    ████████       
              ██████    █████████████ 
          █████████      ███████████ 
      ███████████          █████████ 
██████████████                       
████████████████                       
███████      ████████████           
██████        ████████████           
████                ██████████           

.xx-coin.io.

DAVID CHAUM's xx coin SALE IS NOW LIVE!

JayCoDon

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 04:11:53 PM

If you are going to trade bitcoin physically, do it in a public place. Also, the same way as you don't walk around with all your money in your wallet, don't walk around with all your bitcoin accessible on your phone. Store bitcoin in your vault and then take only what you need.
ThEmporium

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 04:28:31 PM

Bitcoin Stolen at Gunpoint in New York City Robbery
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-stolen-new-york-gunpoint-robbery/

I think, the victim and robbers known each other before, perhaps they would have some heated arguments and it went rise to this situation. However this is not to do anything with Bitcoins business or it brought any defamation to Bitcoins trading. Don't they have any other important news to be published, totally wasted time and money on such lame articles.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: