Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:10:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MultiBit HD 0.1 released  (Read 4386 times)
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2015, 03:40:22 PM

Hello Everybody,

MultiBit HD 0.1 is now available for download at https://beta.multibit.org

This is the culmination of over 18 months of effort. The beta phase is complete and this is a finished product that we believe is suitable for mainstream users.
Gary and I would like to thank everyone who has helped us get to this point through donations, feedback, translations and advice.

Here are the important capabilities of MultiBit HD:
  • simple and intuitive user interface - big accessible controls each with a clear purpose
  • no worrying about losing private keys any more - use your "wallet words" (seed phrase) to restore them
  • fast and lightweight block chain download just like MultiBit Classic (SPV) about 25MB overall
  • private Contacts database with private notes and tags
  • private Payments database with integrated exchange rates
  • adjustable fees
  • adjustable units (support for bits, ubits, millis etc)
  • integrated exchange rates from multiple exchanges to support national currencies
  • export transactions with spot rates to a financial package in standard CSV format
  • themes to suit different lighting conditions
  • detailed integrated Help if you get stuck
  • available in many languages

Disaster recovery features
Everybody experiences data loss at some point. Here is how you are shielded from this using MultiBit HD:
  • you lose your password - click Restore on credentials screen and recover it from local backup with your "wallet words" (seed phrase)
  • you delete all your local backups (hard drive error) - automatic restore from cloud backup
  • you delete all your local and cloud backups (stolen laptop) - select "Restore from wallet words" and follow the instructions
  • you forget your wallet words - unlock your firesafe and retrieve the laminated paper copy you made
  • you lose your Trezor - restore the Trezor wallet from your "wallet words" and move the bitcoins to safety

More technically minded readers will want to know that we support the following:
  • open source under modified MIT licence
  • pure SPV - connect directly to the Bitcoin network
  • random peer discovery (plus it will use your local Bitcoin Core if you are running one)
  • Tor support out of the box (optional)
  • Trezor support out of the box (just plug it in)
  • all data is encrypted locally using entropy gathered from your wallet words (12, 18 or 24)
  • hierarchical deterministic (HD) wallet support BIP32 and BIP44 (account 1 only in each case because it's SPV)
  • all data automatically backed up to a location of your choice (encrypted)
  • detailed transaction information
  • support for BIP21/72 links and Payment Protocol BIP70
  • multiple block explorers
  • sign/verify of Bitcoin messages - use Copy/Paste All to fill all fields in one click
  • simple self-contained installer for Windows, OS X and Linux with semi-automatic updates
  • various wallet management tools such as emptying a wallet with accurate fee calculation
  • integrated error reporting over HTTPS providing GPG encrypted anonymised logs

Just a couple of closing notes:
We're keeping it on the beta site for a couple of days to give people time to verify it on a wide range of platforms.
There is a large amount of supporting information at https://beta.multibit.org

Once again, thanks to everyone who made this possible!

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2015, 01:52:07 AM

Why have you included a forced fee to multibit?
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2015, 10:27:48 AM

The short version is that software development costs money.

For the longer version, have a read of a blog article we wrote a while ago about funding models and privacy:
https://multibit.org/blog/2014/04/11/multibit-hd-brit.html

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
5cMXezpBtm

Activity: 233
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 08:03:41 PM

What a great nice idea to waive all MBHD client usage fee (BRIT) for a wallet up to the amount of donations to MBHD project! Very nice.

Just go to preferences->fees->Button "Donate now".

E.g. For a donation from the wallet of 0.01 BTC (currently 2,29 USD) there won't be any BRIT fee for the next 1000 sending transactions. Quite moderate and fair. At least at the current exchange rate....  Wink
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 10:02:17 AM

Thanks for your feedback.

One of the beta testers suggested it so we added it in.

RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 10:08:01 AM

First of all ,I want to say very good job on the wallet and thanks for your efforts .
I don't know if you saw my thread on "Beginners and Help" section however I want to know if your Multibit wallet or Multibit HD is compatible with Windows 10 ? (Preview or Final version)

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 12:48:08 PM

I must admit I don't have a definitive answer for you about Windows 10 support for either MultiBit Classic nor HD.

Our Windows tests machine are on older versions than that.
If anyone has a Windows 10 machine and would like to try it out that would be very useful.

There is no reason why they wouldn't work as they are all signed etc but the devil is in the detail with new OS releases.

RappelzReborn

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 03:25:22 PM

I must admit I don't have a definitive answer for you about Windows 10 support for either MultiBit Classic nor HD.

Our Windows tests machine are on older versions than that.
If anyone has a Windows 10 machine and would like to try it out that would be very useful.

There is no reason why they wouldn't work as they are all signed etc but the devil is in the detail with new OS releases.

Like I told you I made a thread about wallets that are compatible with Windows 10 and I just  got an answer about Multibit & Electrum => https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1087458.msg11600651#msg11600651 You may wanna check it out , He most likely tested Multibit classic but there is another answer under it . I hope it helps you like it did for me

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 05:02:05 PM

Great thread there RappelzReborn.

Looks like Windows 10 is playing nicely with everyone's wallet software which is reassuring.

albert11

Activity: 679

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 05:42:12 PM

On multibit.org it says that multibit classic will be replaced by multibit hd soon

will multibit classic no longer be usable in the future ?   i personally prefer this one over hd probably because i'm more familiar with it but also because i don't like having to remember/store a 12 seed number, i prefer to have my encrypted files.

████████████████████
           ██████████████████████
          ████                ████
         ████   █████   ████   ████
        ████   ███████ ██████   ████
       ████   ████ ████   ████   ████
      ████   ████   ████   ████   ████
     ████   ████  ██ ████   ████ 
    ████   ████   ██  ████
    ████   ████   ███  ████
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███
    ████   ████   ███    ███
     ████   ████   ████ ████ ████
      ████   ████   ████ ██ ████  ████
       ████   ████   ████ ████   ████
        ████   ██████ ██████    ████
         ████   ████   ████    ████
          ████                ████
           ██████████████████████
            ████████████████████
I N D X
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 05:52:28 PM

MultiBit Classic (the original MultiBit) will continue to be usable yes.

We'll do updates for any security, network and bug fixes but all the good stuff will be going into MultiBit HD.

The nice thing about the MultiBit architecture is that they both connect directly to the Bitcoin network so they don't actually rely on multibit.org being up at all.

The MultiBit Classic installers will still be available on the new site (which will look like the current https://beta.multibit.org) but you'll have to rummage around a little as we'll be presenting the MultiBit HD installers up front and centre.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2015, 07:52:49 PM

This may seem like a somewhat odd question, but is there a list of addresses?

I just made a test wallet for my how to sign a message guide[1] and while I like the wallet and the extensive set of features (need to test it with some coins in the future) I was unable to find a list of addresses. When I "request" payment I see the wallet is generating new addresses in the background nicely and even addresses from deleted und unused requests are not reused. I can also copy and paste them into the sign window and sign a message with them. I wonder though if I would be using the wallet for a while and wanted to sign a message with an old address I did not write down elsewhere, where would I find it? To be clear, I cant think of an issue this could cause, its just that Im not sure whether Im just blinded by new software or if there is no list.

[1] https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:47:33 AM

MultiBit Classic (the original MultiBit) will continue to be usable yes.

We'll do updates for any security, network and bug fixes but all the good stuff will be going into MultiBit HD.

this is great news for me, because I prefer slightly more old(original) conservative (and geeky) layout and interface.) anyway, great job as always.
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 08:38:18 AM

I just made a test wallet for my how to sign a message guide[1] and while I like the wallet and the extensive set of features (need to test it with some coins in the future) I was unable to find a list of addresses. When I "request" payment I see the wallet is generating new addresses in the background nicely and even addresses from deleted und unused requests are not reused. I can also copy and paste them into the sign window and sign a message with them. I wonder though if I would be using the wallet for a while and wanted to sign a message with an old address I did not write down elsewhere, where would I find it? To be clear, I cant think of an issue this could cause, its just that Im not sure whether Im just blinded by new software or if there is no list.

There isnt a raw list of addresses no, mainly as we have put te raw Bitcoin addresses quite 'low in the mix'.

You can see addresses in:
+ the contact list
+ the payment request, either on its own or when it is matched to a payment. (Look at the transaction details).

Any descriptive text and tags is also used in searches so you can type in the payments search field anything related to the tx and find it.

Probably the easiest is to create a contact with the address you are interested in when you sign it.

RappelzReborn

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 09:37:31 AM

Hi again ,

Now and I just installed it (Windows 8.1) I have some suggestions/questions I guess

First on the "Send/Request" Tab , If you click "Send" there is a "Cancel" button on the page opened , however when you click "Request" there is only " Finish" button and no "Cancel" Button which makes the user forced to click "Finish" then a 0.0000 BTC Request gets added to that list under "Request" button for no reason .
Secondly , There is no list of adresses ? That's a shame . If there is could you please lead me and tell me where are they ? If there isn't I guess you should add one of list of adresses like on the Multbit Classic instead of clicking "Request Payment" each time and have to copy adress.
Thirdly , is the wallet pretty safe to use ? Because you says it's released officialy and the link is "Beta" so I'am just a little bit Paranoid and would like to confirm .
Also you should work on the alerts even if not something important however the first alert looks like Windows error message poped Shocked

I will keep exploring the wallet and put my suggestions or questions ? If you don't have a problem with that of course .
Also I give you 10/10 for the Graphic user interface and also for the Logo (icon of the application) at least it's PNG this time and we don't see white on the borders  Roll Eyes

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 03:48:13 PM

The reason there isn't a cancel on the Request is: Once we've shown you the request address it is 'live'. You might have copied it or viewed the QR code. We have to treat it as being able to have bitcoin sent to.

If you don't put in an amount we put in an amount of zero just so that if you receive any amount on that it'll get marked as paid.

No, there isn't a list of raw addresses. We avoid showing raw bitcoin addresses whenever we can.
The payments screen gives:
+ Payment requests that haven't been paid yet
+ Payment requests that have been partially paid.
+ Transactions received and sent.
+ If you receive a transaction you can drill down and see the matching payment requests.

These are all high level entities - things that people sending and receiving money are interested in.
We've put raw addresses pretty low down in the mix, just as you don't see the low level transaction ids on your bank statement.

The Release 0.1 is on https://beta.multibit.org whilst we gather feedback on it. It has had about 900 downloads in the last week or so so we'll probably move it over to the main site (https://multibit.org) soonish. The binaries won't be any different though.

Some of the alerts and the installer are a bit 'Windows' yes but as we are developing across Win / Linux / Mac and want the same layout on each it's inevitable it won't look native I am afraid.

RappelzReborn

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:33:38 PM

Thanks for your answer man , something else what's that Cloud folder or whatever his name is ? I'am not sure what I'am supposed to do with that AES Encrypted file ? Should I keep a backup of it or something ? my PC is total shit so I wanna make sure I will be safe in case of a computer failure , so what backups do I need to take ? "Seed" or "wallet words" as you call it is all I need to restore my bitcoins ?

Also for the adresses thing , to give somone my adress , I should go to "Request Payment" , Copy the adress and give it to the Sender ? also can I give the adress multiple times or I should change it each time . thanks and sorry if I'am bothering you I just wanna be sure 100%

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 05:55:17 PM

There isnt a raw list of addresses no, mainly as we have put te raw Bitcoin addresses quite 'low in the mix'.

You can see addresses in:
+ the contact list
+ the payment request, either on its own or when it is matched to a payment. (Look at the transaction details).

Any descriptive text and tags is also used in searches so you can type in the payments search field anything related to the tx and find it.

Probably the easiest is to create a contact with the address you are interested in when you sign it.

Thanks,  I found addresses in both places without problem and again I dont think this is an actual issue. If someone wants me to sign a message with a certain message they would usually know the address already, e.g. because I have used it in the past.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
RappelzReborn

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 03:26:02 PM

Can anyone please answer my question above ? thanks , need this ASAP .

"Thanks for your answer man , something else what's that Cloud folder or whatever his name is ? I'am not sure what I'am supposed to do with that AES Encrypted file ? Should I keep a backup of it or something ? my PC is total shit so I wanna make sure I will be safe in case of a computer failure , so what backups do I need to take ? "Seed" or "wallet words" as you call it is all I need to restore my bitcoins ?

Also for the adresses thing , to give somone my adress , I should go to "Request Payment" , Copy the adress and give it to the Sender ? also can I give the adress multiple times or I should change it each time . thanks and sorry if I'am bothering you I just wanna be sure 100%"

jim618 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 04:26:00 PM

@RappelzReborn

There is help on the mechanics of restoring a wallet here:
https://multibit.org/en/help/hd0.1/restore-wallet.html

Also there are more technical details of the backup process here:
https://multibit.org/en/help/hd0.1/backups.html

The idea is:
1) You set up SpiderOak / Dropbox to replicate a folder somewhere on your machine into the cloud.
2) You specify that directory to MultiBit HD and it will regularly copy cloud backups to that folder (which then get copied off into the cloud).

RE: addresses - yes the most private thing to do is request an address fresh for each new transaction. Put some text in the note field so that you know what that address was for / who you gave it to.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: