Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:30:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Italy to ban cash transactions over €50 in 2013  (Read 2756 times)
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:41:25 AM

http://www.silverdoctors.com/italy-to-ban-cash-transactions-over-e50-in-2013/

Courtesy Google Translate:

Rome – The technical Rome government wants to limit cash transactions in Italy.

From 2013, citizens may pay amounts in excess of 50 euros only by credit or debit card. That the Council of Ministers decided today.

The measure is intended to reflect the money laundering and black money payments to clamp down. Since July, the government has banned cash transactions over 1,000 euros.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:52:17 AM

Courtesy Google Translate:

Rome – The technical Rome government wants to limit cash transactions in Italy.

From 2013, citizens may pay amounts in excess of 50 euros only by credit or debit card. That the Council of Ministers decided today.

The measure is intended to reflect the money laundering and black money payments to clamp down. Since July, the government has banned cash transactions over 1,000 euros.

i spent some of my honeymoon in rome... icecream there costs more than €50. can't see this law going down too well with tourists.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:57:01 AM

first drops of fecal mass hit the fan

-
Severian (OP)

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:58:57 AM

first drops of fecal mass hit the fan

Cash restrictions mean that people will be looking for other ways to transact biz. : )
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 03:59:23 AM

Omg, this is getting fscked up. I would have thought that would be against European regulations, maybe there's fear of a bank rush :/

has little to do with that. And a lot more to do with getting closer and closer to a cashless society.

US has its sights set on 2017, though there is 0 speak of it openly yet.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
teek

Activity: 667

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 04:01:43 AM

This is crazy talk... governments can say they are going to do whatever, but i have a hard time believing this actually flies, especially in Italy.  Shit I am from an Italian family, my Nonno is still kickin and gives me / my sister / cousins etc $100 every year for our birthdays.   This law would make that very act illegal..  Nonno ain't gonna start writing cheques or using paypal.

JMAHH

Activity: 280

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 04:30:57 AM

50 euros

Since July, the government has banned cash transactions over 1,000 euros.

Typo? 500 euros?
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 12:36:26 PM
Last edit: September 11, 2012, 12:54:57 PM by n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Typo? 500 euros?

I thought so too, but went to the source and confirmed 50 is correct. However, there seems to be some backpedaling taking place:

http://www.ilmessaggero.it/economia/bancomat_pagamenti_50_euro/notizie/217966.shtml

Either way...these kinds of restrictions are signs of fiscal desperation, and will drive people to learn and adopt Bitcoin at a faster rate to get around the stupid rules.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
September 11, 2012, 07:25:06 PM

Soo much for freedom *uch*  Roll Eyes

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 04:40:04 AM

Soo much for freedom *uch*  Roll Eyes

Freedom?  In Italy?   Roll Eyes

If enough Italians wanted to be free, they would have long ago hung from a tall tree the obscenely rich creepy old charlatan in the Vatican.

These are Romans after all; they voted fairly recently for actual capital F Fascism, 2000 years after trading their Republic for an Empire.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:55:49 PM

so what will happen to all private holders of PM-s ?

how would they spend gold and buy a car ?
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:25:12 PM

50 euros

Since July, the government has banned cash transactions over 1,000 euros.

Typo? 500 euros?
It's not a typo, it's right, 50€

but i'm still unsure if that will pass. There are a lot of things that have been proposed and successfully happily refused. I strongly doubt that will pass.

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 07:55:48 AM

No fucking way this passes.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 08:37:28 AM

The law is a bit messy to be onest: in fact the text say that a shop is forced to accept an electronic payment for every transaction over 50€ if the customer request so, not that is banned the cash transaction in se.
The big trouble is that POS in Italy will cost a lot of money to shop, specially for little ones (something in the 20-40€/month + a fee for every transaction from 2 to 4% for bancomat and up to 5-6% for credit cards,). A small shop will don't survive all that added costs (in some cases the fees will be higher than the earnings: on a phone card sold at 50€ there will be less than 0,5€ of margin but 1€ at least of fees, so for a PC sold at 500€  on wich there is a 60-70€ of earning but 10-20€ of fees).
Big shops and supermarket have a big discount on fees (usually the pay a fixed monthly fee so the higher is the volume of money cashed by POS the less it will cost for every € processed): is a kind of law written to help banks and big owners (the fact that our prime minister is a member of Bildberg Group and is a Goldman Sachs advisor and Moody's one it's just a coincidence )

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 08:47:00 AM

The law is a bit messy to be onest: in fact the text say that a shop is forced to accept an electronic payment for every transaction over 50€ if the customer request so, not that is banned the cash transaction in se.
The big trouble is that POS in Italy will cost a lot of money to shop, specially for little ones (something in the 20-40€/month + a fee for every transaction from 2 to 4% for bancomat and up to 5-6% for credit cards,). A small shop will don't survive all that added costs (in some cases the fees will be higher than the earnings: on a phone card sold at 50€ there will be less than 0,5€ of margin but 1€ at least of fees, so for a PC sold at 500€  on wich there is a 60-70€ of earning but 10-20€ of fees).
Big shops and supermarket have a big discount on fees (usually the pay a fixed monthly fee so the higher is the volume of money cashed by POS the less it will cost for every € processed): is a kind of law written to help banks and big owners (the fact that our prime minister is a member of Bildberg Group and is a Goldman Sachs advisor and Moody's one it's just a coincidence )

I feel sorry for you.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 09:11:16 AM

The law dosent talk about the willing of the buyer, the buyer is forced to use electronic money.
They are simply lowering the limit, that should be 1000 as of now.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 12:18:16 PM

ercolinux is right

It's still unclear if it is "buyer are forced to use electronic money" or "seller must accept eletronic money" for transactions over 50€

and it's still unclear if this will pass at all or not.

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 12:20:42 PM

I heard this news 2/3 times, and it seems that the seller must accept electronic money IF the buyer wants AND IF the transaction is over 50€
Anyway as Gabi said it isn't already a law.

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 12:22:48 PM

ercolinux is right

It's still unclear if it is "buyer are forced to use electronic money" or "seller must accept eletronic money" for transactions over 50€

and it's still unclear if this will pass at all or not.

Nither option is a good sign. A forced use of electronic purchases serves only to further subsidize the banks' income on the backs of the people..

Whether it passes or not now, they will find a way to move in this directon eventually. This gets it on the books for them, where it can appear to be something that there is a choice in now. Later they will mandate it behind closed doors.

I heard this news 2/3 times, and it seems that the seller must accept electronic money IF the buyer wants AND IF the transaction is over 50€
And you can bet through aggressive marketing at the consumer level the buyers will want this. They will be convinced it is better, safer, etc...

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 12:29:38 PM

Neither option is a good sign. A forced use of electronic purchases serves only to further subsidize the banks' income on the backs of the people..

Oh, I don't know about that...
It might just mean that more merchants will take bitcoin. After all, 50€ is only:

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: