Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:35:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Crossfire required for quad video card mining?  (Read 2062 times)
Jeff (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:22:08 PM

So I have parts on the way for a quad video card (5870s) mining machine and am wondering if I'll need to set them up in crossfire in order to mine with each of the GPUs.

If no, would I need to hook up a monitor to each video card to "activate" it?

If yes, is there such a thing as a quad video card crossfire bridge?  I've only ever seen the two card bridges... how do you setup quad crossfire?

Thanks,
Jeff
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:23:44 PM

use dummy plugs (search for them), no need for crossfire

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:27:09 PM

If you have windows, then yes, each device will have to be activated using either an actual monitor or a dummy plug for monitors. This is not necessary in Linux.

OR, you can crossfire them. Each card has two bridges. You just connect 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4. (each being a video card obviously). cards 2 and 3 will be using both bridges, while cards 1 and 4 can just have 1

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
REF

Activity: 529
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 04:29:45 PM

No.

If you are using Linux you dont need monitors of dummy plugs. With win7 past 2 GpUs you need plugs/ monitors.

Iv seen 3x cross fire. So I assume 4 will work also. It requires 3x regular crossfire cables.

If it's a dedi miner I recommend Linuxcoin

Edit: damn you beat me to it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: