Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:08:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do "PM sent" posts qualify as LQ/spam posts?  (Read 537 times)
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 05:45:51 PM

These posts serve absolutely no purpose - why do you need to post on the thread stating you have PM'd the OP? It's useless. If it's to notify the OP, well, people get pop-up notifications when they have un-read private messages and it can be kind of hard to miss a new PM. They're essentially useless posts that are just there to prop up post counts.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 05:52:33 PM

A lot of people sell various things via alt accounts and will then either watch or post on the thread from their main account. If you are not logged into the account you are trading from then you will have no way of knowing that you received a PM unless someone posts that they sent a PM.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 06:38:22 PM

It's because some people don't respond to the PMs and don't even check their inbox. They usually check their own threads and hence when you say that you have sent them a PM, they go and check their inbox (it's necessary as sometimes a member who has offered a job/task receives too many PMs and hence he doesn't respond to all or misses out some pms). I know it's sounds silly but it's necessary to do that especially when it's a task in the Services section as usually people need just 1-2 members to do their work and when there is no reply on their thread, another member thinks that nobody is doing that job when actually they might be.

DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 06:51:47 PM

It's because some people don't respond to the PMs and don't even check their inbox. They usually check their own threads and hence when you say that you have sent them a PM, they go and check their inbox (it's necessary as sometimes a member who has offered a job/task receives too many PMs and hence he doesn't respond to all or misses out some pms). I know it's sounds silly but it's necessary to do that especially when it's a task in the Services section as usually people need just 1-2 members to do their work and when there is no reply on their thread, another member thinks that nobody is doing that job when actually they might be.

Hmm, I see. It's kind of hard in my opinion to not notice PMs though, but I guess that's a valid argument. Surely the pop up notification that tells you about an unread private message draws your attention to it, though?

--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
June 11, 2015, 06:54:49 PM

Hmm, I see. It's kind of hard in my opinion to not notice PMs though, but I guess that's a valid argument. Surely the pop up notification that tells you about an unread private message draws your attention to it, though?

looks like that feature is actually an option that's disabled by default... either that or I changed it and forgot.
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2015, 06:56:44 PM

looks like that feature is actually an option that's disabled by default... either that or I changed it and forgot.

It is? I never remember enabling it, perhaps it just slipped my memory then...that's understandable if it isn't enabled by default, I was assuming it was as I never remember having enabled it. Alright then, thanks. I'll lock the thread, question has been answered.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: