Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:17:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FreeBazaar - OpenBazaar with Monero  (Read 8735 times)
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
February 02, 2016, 11:41:46 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2016, 12:47:01 PM by TPTB_need_war

So this project is to integrate XMR with OpenBazaar, correct?  Or is it to fork OpenBazaar to a completely separate codebase that supports XMR?

At first stage just integrate XMR into OpenBazaar as fork "FreeBazaar".
On the second if it possible, commit all into OpenBazaar. If not (because BTC is very hardcoded, OB-dev may decline it) then it will be parallel/separate XMR-Bazaar.

I suggest you make your fork have an API so it works with any crypto coin. Then if they don't accept your commits, then yours may likely become the dominant fork, assuming you have the resources and skills to carry it forward.

Whereas, if you make your code Monero only focused, then it has no wider-scale attractiveness to gain the political support you need.

Edit: it also potentially spreads your risk of wasted effort away from 100% dependence on any one outcome.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2016, 12:24:10 PM

So this project is to integrate XMR with OpenBazaar, correct?  Or is it to fork OpenBazaar to a completely separate codebase that supports XMR?

On the second if it possible, commit all into OpenBazaar. If not (because BTC is very hardcoded, OB-dev may decline it) then it will be parallel/separate XMR-Bazaar.

I suggest you make your fork have an API so it works with any crypto coin. Then if they don't accept your commits, then yours may likely become the dominant fork, assuming you have the resources and skills to carry it forward.

Whereas, if you make your code Monero only focused, then it has no wider-scale attractiveness to gain the political support you need.

This may be a good idea and clearly worthy of some debate! Thanks TBTB
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2016, 05:23:54 PM

Is this project still alive?

Yes, but the code of OpenBazaar v2.0 is completely different from v1.0 and changed continuously before release.
So I'll releaze FreeBazaar (XMR-Version) after official release of OB.

I don't understand what the difference will be?  Do you have any idea when OB will open?

I love Bitcoin
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
February 02, 2016, 11:18:45 PM

Edit: it also potentially spreads your risk of wasted effort away from 100% dependence on any one outcome.

I highlighted the important part for you... is it still effort if some people paid for it?
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:32:10 AM

I highlighted the important part for you... is it still effort if some people paid for it?

I rarely value my opportunity cost in $2000 or even $20,000 increments, unless it has come down to survival mode (and even then I in the past ate rice & salt so I could continue coding what I wanted to code). Whether I am delusional or not, I view my opportunity cost as $200,000, $2m, $20m increments and moreover that money is not my main goal (although I do need some).

I am paradigmatically and ideologically opposed to expending my finite life on closed paradigms. My goal is to change the world.

I always hating working for someone else. Even I had the best job at Fractal Design in 1993 & 1995, it just isn't me.

And that is why now I am working on the artist economy.

I can't speak for the priorities of others.

mathgal23

Activity: 150
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:49:21 AM

I rarely value my opportunity cost in $2000 or even $20,000 increments, unless it has come down to survival mode (and even then I in the past ate rice & salt so I could continue coding what I wanted to code). Whether I am delusional or not, I view my opportunity cost as $200,000, $2m, $20m increments and moreover that money is not my main goal (although I do need some).

I am paradigmatically and ideologically opposed to expending my finite life on closed paradigms. My goal is to change the world.

I always hating working for someone else. Even I had the best job at Fractal Design in 1993 & 1995, it just isn't me.

How would you view the potential of OpenBazaar? I think its potential is very large but so will be the competition.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 01:23:06 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2016, 01:49:51 PM by TPTB_need_war

How would you view the potential of OpenBazaar? I think its potential is very large but so will be the competition.

I can't speak to the technical design of that project because I haven't studied it and the devil is usually in the details, e.g. see my comments in the Synereo thread about how a great conceptual idea (decentralized social networks) falls flat on its face in terms of implementation and design strategies pursued thus far.

The concept of a decentralized, permissionless Ebay seems to be at least from a superficial perspective, a very important and powerful one. That is why if you want to be a leader for the global community on such then pigeon-holing your effort to only Monero currency support is almost certainly not the winning strategy. If you want to make sure Monero support is in the main fork (and make sure the bindings for Monero work perfectly as that being one of your strong motivations) then I suggest formulating an open API for all currencies and at least also implement bindings to Bitcoin so your commits are more likely accepted in the main fork or your fork becomes the most popular. Any way, that is my 2 cents from the peanut gallery because my head is not deep in that project so I may be unaware of certain facts.

An API for cross-currency support also makes one think about how to make the API most general, which allows for Monero to change in the future and only the bindings need to change. You all know these design principles.

HeroCat

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 03:04:49 PM

Well, yes Monero have future. So Free Bazaar can exist, if Monero users are growing.  Grin
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 09:49:31 AM

Yes, but the code of OpenBazaar v2.0 is completely different from v1.0 and changed continuously before release.

Now that Openbazaar is released on testnet, could you take another look at the code?

https://blog.openbazaar.org/openbazaar-released-on-the-testnet/

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
mathgal23

Activity: 150
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 09:54:10 AM

Now that Openbazaar is released on testnet, could you take another look at the code?

I hope the answer is yes. This would be great for the Monero economy
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2016, 02:56:18 PM

this going to make the get rich quick scam ethereium look nothing when more and more people using this openbazaar platform. yes, platform is all the raves about these days.

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 03:32:45 PM

this going to make the get rich quick scam ethereium look nothing when more and more people using this openbazaar platform. yes, platform is all the raves about these days.

What's the problem with a trading/marketplace platform? This one is at least a p2p stuff, so perhaps we can avoid exchanges (in many cases) in the future.
Shrikez

Activity: 399
Merit: 263

View Profile
March 02, 2016, 06:19:32 PM

It would be a big step forward if the OP kept us in the loop about his intentions, seeing we contributed a sizeable number of Moneroj towards its development.

But I guess he is too busy counting his Dwarfpool fees from all the ETH craze.

Die Würde des Menschen ist unantastbar
Atrides (OP)

Activity: 658

Admin of DwarfPool.com

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2016, 11:30:28 AM

Yes, I'll look at the code.

DwarfPool Quality you can trust! http://DwarfPool.com Reliable Monero, Zcash and ETH Pool Monero Proxy
Anonymous pool with failover servers and PPS, Profit Calculator and Price chart: [XMR][ETH][ZEC]... Support thread
MoneroClub - free P2P Exchange Platform www.MoneroClub.com
XMRpromotions

View Profile
March 14, 2016, 12:55:04 PM

Yes, I'll look at the code.

Thank you! It would be great if you could give us an ETA after you do.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 08:35:07 AM

https://blog.openbazaar.org/openbazaar-is-open-for-business/

looks like it is finished.... any news or ETA atrides?
Posum578

View Profile
April 05, 2016, 09:58:52 AM

Maybe it is wise to wait for the OpenBazaar to be a successful operation before we adopt it in FreeBazaar?
Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 12:18:35 AM

The TPTB design strategie is the sound one. It could receive funds from other coins as well... potentially from all coins in fact.

I guess once OB grows it will accept all kind of coins, as it is the logical way. To be limited to BTC only doesn´t make that sense. In the meantime, shapeshift can be useful
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 11:19:44 AM

Maybe it is wise to wait for the OpenBazaar to be a successful operation before we adopt it in FreeBazaar?

The major problem I see there is what would Atrides do with the several thousand Monero that he received from the community to fund this project?

Disclaimer: I am bitching about it despite the fact that I did NOT contribute.
eyeknock

Activity: 381

View Profile
April 08, 2016, 11:40:41 AM

What's the problem with a trading/marketplace platform? This one is at least a p2p stuff, so perhaps we can avoid exchanges (in many cases) in the future.

god hear you!! exchanges are like a plague ( in the last times ) if we can avoid it, we will be more safe, i wish that people start to understand and use this type of trading platform, we will avoid lot of current problems, others will come yes, but in the end this p2p stuff must be a welcome software for all of us.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: