Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:50:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I think this may be a step in the right direction  (Read 3388 times)
erinmars (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:28:22 PM

http://www.cast-inc.com/ip-cores/encryption/sha-256/ I know what I think about it, what does everyone else think about it?
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brocktice

Activity: 292
Merit: 250

Apparently I inspired this image.

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2011, 05:53:30 PM

Requires far fewer gates than other solutions I've seen.

http://media.witcoin.com/p/1608/8----This-is-nuts

My #bitcoin-otc ratings: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=brocktice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

Like my post? Leave me a tip: 15Cgixqno9YzoKNEA2DRFyEAfMH5htssRg
erinmars (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:38:07 PM

Its pretty quick too, its the infrastructure between the chips that would be a pain. I think using an fpga as the router in between the chips would be the way to go (Some of the cheaper fpga chips have 800+ pins). Then you would have alot of options in terms of connecting the node to bitcoin (usb/ethernet/etc) for there are already preconfigured fpga modules ready to go for those types of interconnects. I personally like the idea of ethernet. Teach the fpga how to pull work from bitcoin over ethernet, all you would need is a router/switch/hub.
BitCointransfers

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:43:22 PM

Looks good, an already optimized SHA256 ASIC, so how much does this fucking thing cost.. and would like to hear ArtForz's comments on this one...
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:52:54 PM

Looks good, an already optimized SHA256 ASIC, so how much does this fucking thing cost.. and would like to hear ArtForz's comments on this one...

Sadly, it is unlikely to be optimized for the way we use SHA256.  Most commercial implementations assume you want to push a big stream through them and keep a running hash.  We want to hash a tiny block twice, then start over with a slightly different tiny block.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
brocktice

Activity: 292

Apparently I inspired this image.

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2011, 07:05:30 PM

There's probably a reason he's doing something different. I've yet to ask him about an FPGA/ASIC solution and have him not already know about it and why it's not going to work well.

http://media.witcoin.com/p/1608/8----This-is-nuts

My #bitcoin-otc ratings: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=brocktice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

Like my post? Leave me a tip: 15Cgixqno9YzoKNEA2DRFyEAfMH5htssRg
melco

Activity: 62

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 07:25:32 PM

Sadly, it is unlikely to be optimized for the way we use SHA256.  Most commercial implementations assume you want to push a big stream through them and keep a running hash.  We want to hash a tiny block twice, then start over with a slightly different tiny block.

Sorry for n00b question, but can we put two of them in line?

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 07:26:50 PM

Sent them an email just to judge whether they are aware of Bitcoin or not.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 07:30:35 PM

Should be able to, but I can already see the disadvantage to ArtForz's own version.  This core uses 66 cycles to complete a hash, while ArtForz's is claimed to be a pipelined asic producing a hash on every cycle.  This is probably something intended to be a cheap co-processor in an ecommerce server, off-loading some calcs from the CPU in order to avoid bogging down the main website.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Bitbird

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 04:16:11 PM

I'm considering set up a HPC mining rig start-up project. The rig will use floating point co-processor for FPGAs which could create compute blocks with 4096 processors (8 TFLOPs) in each unit.

kjj
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 04:21:33 PM

I'm considering set up a HPC mining rig start-up project. The rig will use floating point co-processor for FPGAs which could create compute blocks with 4096 processors (8 TFLOPs) in each unit.

You'd better research this a bit more.

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Bitbird

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 04:31:27 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2011, 05:03:26 PM by Bitbird

Hi kjj,
Do you suggest floating point co-processor would be no helped for Bitcoin mining?

(might open a subject for this question latter)

befuddled

Activity: 73

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 06:14:42 PM

Do you suggest floating point co-processor would be no helped for Bitcoin mining?

Yes. Or at least I do.
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 06:18:24 PM

Hi kjj,

(might open a subject for this question latter)

Bitcoin mining is mostly integer math. This is also the reason it's so laughable that BitcoinWatch uses some unknown algorithm to estimate the network speed in Teraflops.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2011, 06:22:41 PM

They're optimized for performing hashes on large amounts of data, not for performing large amounts of hashes.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
PulsedMedia

Activity: 402

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 11:35:06 AM

Was just looking about this ASIC, i see it has been mentioned here, but this seems to be the only thread?
Didn't anyone look in detail?

Afterall, it's a function of costs, if these chips are low powered and cheap, why can't you chain them?

Looking at these two:
http://ipcores.com/sha_ip_core.htm
http://www.cast-inc.com/ip-cores/encryption/sha-256/index.html

I guess single chip achieves atleast 4.24Mhash/s? That's quite weak, but if a single chip costs less than 1.7$ and consumes less than 0.2W it could be viable vs. current FPGA solutions. Hell, even at at 1W per chip it would achieve a nice ratio.
It has so few gates it can't consume much!

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 12:32:58 PM

Because all of the commercial SHA chips are designed for an operation that doesn't apply to bitcoin mining.

Bitcoin mining is done by hashing huge numbers of distinct two-block inputs.  SHA chips are designed to do small numbers of many-block inputs.

Think of the difference between a billion files of 1000 bytes each, and a thousand files of a billion bytes each.

Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 01:23:25 PM

Those are IP cores that may be implemented into FPGA or ASIC.
Little math.
SIngle core = 640 slices in Spartan6 = 36 cores in LX150. One core = one pass of two needed in mining, so you get only 18 full cores. Each one running at 115MHz and proceed one hash in 132 cycles (115/132=0.87 hash/cycle). With 18 core that gives you 18*0.87=16 MH/s. Compare to 210 from ztex. I say it's a giant leap backwards!

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: