Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:36:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me build a tutorial for bitcoin newbies!  (Read 1456 times)
Bitcoinsforus (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 04:09:40 PM

Hey there,

so, here's the deal. Recently I got interested in bitcoins, so I still count as a bitcoin noob. I've done a lot of research, but what would be better than getting the ideas from the BTC veterans. I've started a few small posts about basics, such as getting a wallet and the free micro bitcoin giveaway-thingys you all must know of.

Yes, I know. I'm using [Suspicious link removed], which is a completely asshole thing to do. I know. But the thing is, I'm a student and I just had to pay 70€ (about 90$) for the hosting and stuff. I'll make the links direct once I hit +-0. I'm not intending to make profit, but to create an awesome tutorial to help get started.

So, I'd like you to help me! You can help me by sending me your ideas on how to improve the site and what to write about. You know, learning the bitcoin trade, earning bitcoins, where to spend them and so on.

Please help me to build the best, easy to use bitcoin guide available!

I know this doesn't seem legit, first post and all, but you gotta start somewhere. You can reach me in here, obviously, and by sending me email at admin@bitcoinsfor.us

http://bitcoinsfor.us

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kitemike

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 04:34:57 PM

Yours looks a lot better than mine: http://www.mikeinsupport.com/BtcBasics.html
My intent was to step the clueless thru to their first mBtc and turn them loose.  Feel free to plagiarize my stuff if it helps.

Bitcoinsforus (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 04:43:20 PM

Thanks! Yours doesn't look too bad, you have great points of view in there. I'll be sure to take a deeper look at your page when updating! I like the simplicity, no jargon and stuff, just the facts.
Capital One Corporation

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 05:04:31 PM

bitcoin wiki is helpful.
aparigraha

Activity: 12

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 06:20:29 PM

bitcoin wiki is helpful.

my thought exactly
Kitemike

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 06:37:41 PM

The various wikis do have a lot of valuable information, but what I was trying to do (and what the OP was trying I think) was to create a guide for the complete noob.  I work tech support for a small software company and have to walk customers thru all kinds of basic computer operations.  It’s amazing how many people double-click on hyperlinks, can’t ctrl-c/ctrl-v, don’t know there is a menu under a right-click.  Most of these people would just shut their computers off and go back to watching Judge Judy the first time they saw 1Eu7otAEnygzrWw3Xgd3aCVANa3QCXDWGJ.  Logical step by step guides are the only thing that get some people from their desktops to their Facebook accounts.  The wikis are good but overwhelming for a large segment of our (IRL) society.

Monkey1

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 07:00:07 PM

I would be keen to help out.  Let me know what you need!

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████
████████▄▄        ██   ▄▄████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
         ▀▀███████████▀▀
            ▀▀█████▀▀

.THRIVING CRYPTOCURRENCY..
.MARKET WITH CRYPTOBONDS..

▄▄▄▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄▄▄
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

INITIAL COIN OFFERING
SEPTEMBER 30

██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
    ██
██████
         ▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄███▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀███████▄
  █████ ███████ █▄▀███████
 ██████ ███████ ███▄▀██████
▐██████ ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
▐██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████▌
 ██████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ █████
  █████ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█ ████
   ▀███▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄██▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀

...READ THE....
.WHITEPAPER.

▄▄████████▄▄
     ▄████████████████▄
   ▄████████████████████▄
  ███████████████▀▀  █████
 ████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
 ████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
  ████████████████▄▄██████
   ▀████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
        ▀▀████████▀▀
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
MEDIUM
REDDIT
GITHUB
SLACK
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 07:51:19 PM

Your site looks good. You should explain where and how you can easily buy bitcoin in different countries.

Bitcoinsforus (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 09:21:41 PM

The various wikis do have a lot of valuable information, but what I was trying to do (and what the OP was trying I think) was to create a guide for the complete noob.  I work tech support for a small software company and have to walk customers thru all kinds of basic computer operations.  It’s amazing how many people double-click on hyperlinks, can’t ctrl-c/ctrl-v, don’t know there is a menu under a right-click.  Most of these people would just shut their computers off and go back to watching Judge Judy the first time they saw 1Eu7otAEnygzrWw3Xgd3aCVANa3QCXDWGJ.  Logical step by step guides are the only thing that get some people from their desktops to their Facebook accounts.  The wikis are good but overwhelming for a large segment of our (IRL) society.

Exactly. Wikis do indeed provide a lot of valuable information, but usually the problem is that it requires at least some kind of basic knowledge about the subject, since wikis use a lot of jargon and so on. My goal is to create a easy to read, understandable and through tutorials about various subjects regarding bitcoins. You know, the kind your fathers, for example, could read and understand.

Thanks you all for great ideas! I will definitely write a tutorial about buying/selling bitcoins, after I do some research on BTC Forex platforms. Do you have any suggestions I should check out/recommend?

And Monkey1, thank you so much for offering your help. You could start by, for example, listing some ideas of what to write about. Kind of like the buying bitcoins-part. If you happen to have ideas regarding the next quick tutorial, buying bitcoins, you should totally hit me an email or private message, or just post them here.

I will write an article about buying bitcoins tomorrow, I have to do some research and I will put something together, and then add stuff over time.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I'd love some bitcoin-related graphics to use as the icons of my posts. Unfortunately I can't afford to pay anything (at least yet, I have already almost half a cent in [Suspicious link removed]!), but if you're interested in taking part, please contact me! As you can see, my skills with photoshop are very limited. Next I'm planning on tutorials on both buying and selling bitcoins, so some fancy graphics regarding them would be swell. My theme uses 640 x 360 images, for anyone interested.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 10:02:24 PM

I think this is a big issue in the bitcoin world. Everyone and their grandma is starting a "newbie guide" I feel if you have an issue of how the wiki states things, then add your fixes. I personal think the bitcoin wiki is the best guide, cause many smart people have written it. So I think while your site is ok at best, I think take your knowledge and put it on the wiki and help it grow so newbies have one place to begin and not 20 different sites all with different explanations.
Bitcoinsforus (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 10:09:21 PM

I think this is a big issue in the bitcoin world. Everyone and their grandma is starting a "newbie guide" I feel if you have an issue of how the wiki states things, then add your fixes. I personal think the bitcoin wiki is the best guide, cause many smart people have written it. So I think while your site is ok at best, I think take your knowledge and put it on the wiki and help it grow so newbies have one place to begin and not 20 different sites all with different explanations.

Thanks for the feedback, and I clearly get your point. Many people start a newbie guide, write a few sentences and then forget about it. When I first learned about bitcoin I tried to google some newbie guides, but most of them are, not to hurt anyone, shit. I do get your point about the wiki being the best source since it has a lot of wise heads put together. What I'd like to do is "dumb down" the wiki a bit. You gotta face it, the wiki is quite gibberish for someone who's just learning about bitcoin.

In a nutshell, thanks for the feedback, but I'm still going to give it a shot. What's the worst thing that can happen?
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 10:11:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback, and I clearly get your point. Many people start a newbie guide, write a few sentences and then forget about it. When I first learned about bitcoin I tried to google some newbie guides, but most of them are, not to hurt anyone, shit. I do get your point about the wiki being the best source since it has a lot of wise heads put together. What I'd like to do is "dumb down" the wiki a bit. You gotta face it, the wiki is quite gibberish for someone who's just learning about bitcoin.

In a nutshell, thanks for the feedback, but I'm still going to give it a shot. What's the worst thing that can happen?

You can try, but just know your hurting the bitcoin world more than helping. You missed my point where you can edit the wiki, and help grow the wiki so all people can benefit, so if you think something isn't worded correctly or the "jargon" is something that isn't clear, edit it, make it more clear, and help more people than your site will reach.
Bitcoinsforus (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 11:03:47 PM

You can try, but just know your hurting the bitcoin world more than helping. You missed my point where you can edit the wiki, and help grow the wiki so all people can benefit, so if you think something isn't worded correctly or the "jargon" is something that isn't clear, edit it, make it more clear, and help more people than your site will reach.

Ah, I do get your point. Well, I'm not exactly hurting the bitcoin world, I'm just not making the wiki more suitable for everybody. Well, I'll make sure to contribute to the wiki somehow. Although, we should keep in mind that you can't please everyone. If you oversimplify things, people who are used to "tech talk" and jargon are gonna get pissed, and vice versa. Well, I'm just trying to be nice, I appreciate your feedback and I will make sure to try to be as useful as possible.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 11:18:09 PM

fwiw i don't think you're hurting the bitcoin world... the more guides, the better.
Bitcoinsforus (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 07:53:36 AM

Hay guise,

so, last night I wrote a few, small articles. Right now I'd like to focus on the buying bitcoins-part. What do you guys recommend? Personally I know only about Mt.Gox, and I have no experience on other services. What other services I should take a look into? There's a huge list of known services in the bitcoin wiki, but theres no point in talking about them all. I'd like the guide to be as simple as possible, so maybe two or three should be plenty. I know that the spending bitcoins-article is total bogus, don't worry about it, I'll rewrite it when I have more time. I'll also start getting some pictures to add to the articles so they wont be so boring to read. If you're interested in helping me out, pm or email me.

Tl;dr Recommend best Bitcoin exchange services to suggest along with Mt.Gox. Also new article ideas are welcome.
Phnx818

Activity: 43

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 08:21:04 AM

BitInstant
shamoons

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 03:02:23 PM

Hello there. I run a web development agency called develop.io. We'd be happy to at least reskin the site to help the appearance. Let me know if you need any help with that.
Bitcoinsforus (OP)

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 07:34:46 PM

Hello there. I run a web development agency called develop.io. We'd be happy to at least reskin the site to help the appearance. Let me know if you need any help with that.

That would be wonderful! Since I really suck at theming, I just slapped a premade Wordpress theme and went with it. As I've mentioned before, I wouldn't be able to pay for your services :< But a special theme would totally rock!

Also, no, I haven't forgotten about writing new posts. I've been really busy lately since I'm moving to a different town and I don't have internet there yet. I'll be back writing soon!
shamoons

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:35:20 PM

That would be wonderful! Since I really suck at theming, I just slapped a premade Wordpress theme and went with it. As I've mentioned before, I wouldn't be able to pay for your services :< But a special theme would totally rock!

Also, no, I haven't forgotten about writing new posts. I've been really busy lately since I'm moving to a different town and I don't have internet there yet. I'll be back writing soon!

PM me and let's talk and work something out!
Monkey1

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 04:23:14 PM

Still happy to help if you let me know what you need.

▄▄█████▄▄
         ▄▄███████████▄▄
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
   ▄▄███████████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████████▄
████████▀▀  ▀██▀       ▀▀████████
███████  ▄████  ███████▄  ███████
███████ █████  ██████████ ███████
███████ ██████████  █████ ███████
███████  ▀███████  ███▀   ███████