Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:21:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin, the Religion?!  (Read 4315 times)
deliciousowl (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 01:12:31 PM

I argue that Cryptocurrencies function as distinct religious beliefs, which affect ego permeability by playing into our natural tendencies to perceive attributes of money and value as inherently magic and spiritual.

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/bitcoin-religion-filip-martinka-

Do you think that cryptocurrencies are religions?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 01:18:01 PM

I argue that Cryptocurrencies function as distinct religious beliefs, which affect ego permeability by playing into our natural tendencies to perceive attributes of money and value as inherently magic and spiritual.

I've thought about this, hilariously enough it is similar to Christianity, Catholicism....  I.e. CryptoCurrencies, Bitcoin and Satoshi  Smiley

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 01:21:02 PM

for some guys, which are heavily invested and involved, betted everything possible to crypto and lurking whole day on crypto webs, reading all articles, running rigs...

religion is not maybe the precise word to describe their relation to crypto, but in some way is may become true..at least I can imagine it. if somebody is fanatic to something, it may become religion for sure.
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 01:47:09 PM

If religion means to believe in the success of something, on the basis of something that has yet to happen, then yes, bitcoin is a religion for all of us Smiley
But, this is not much different from faith in other things, family, favorite clubs etc.
We tend to believe in many different things but probably we need to find another name for it.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 01:49:08 PM

There are just people, who make a religion out of everything.
Look at it, this way: You could believe in Jesus Christ, just as a historical person, who did interesting things for his time. That wouldn't make you a religious person, would it?
So, just because there are fanatics, who think, cryptocurrency will release us from the evil in the world, doesn't mean it is a religion. There are always fanatics.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:06:21 PM

for some guys, which are heavily invested and involved, betted everything possible to crypto and lurking whole day on crypto webs, reading all articles, running rigs...

religion is not maybe the precise word to describe their relation to crypto, but in some way is may become true..at least I can imagine it. if somebody is fanatic to something, it may become religion for sure.

It is obvious that one of the main keys for a crypto (or for any currency) to succeed is network effect, thats why Bitcoin is #1 and likely will not change anytime soon. Network effect is basically trust.. and so therein lies a sense of belief into it. You believe that Bitcoin will turn out a massive success. In this sense you could say it is a religion, but is based on fact and math unlike the rest of the ones (including fiat).
Digit-0

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

in the end, you only find the beginning

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:12:38 PM

i would not say that, but is pretty close to that, at least for some ppl, you just need to read how they talk about it Tongue but most of the bitcoiners just believe in the success of BTC and this is not enought to compare it with religion.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6106

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:13:25 PM

I don't think that Digital currancies are religions at all , I believe in bitcoin and that it has potentional and will do a huge success on the world probably & I don't think that "religion" is the first thing that comes in mind when you see the relation between a user and something . I believe in other things that will be succesfull that dosen't make them my religion or anything if you ask me
For me (and it's just my personal opinion) Religion is what is made by God and prophets (Muslims, Christians , Jewish) those are Religious people anything else isn't . (Including Yoga , budha etc..which is made by humain)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:15:42 PM

If religion means to believe in the success of something, on the basis of something that has yet to happen, then yes, bitcoin is a religion for all of us Smiley
But, this is not much different from faith in other things, family, favorite clubs etc.
We tend to believe in many different things but probably we need to find another name for it.

People who believe in the state or do not question the state are more "religious" nut jobs vs bitcoiners imo.  I dont think you can class bitcoin as a religion though, people act religious over it sure.  Its more a sociological philosophy.
Chavez

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:20:58 PM

No. It's nothing of the sort. Maybe they could offer us financial and economical salvation, though  Cheesy.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:21:39 PM

Some users of cryptocurrencies may be religiously following their respective favorite.
Following that logic, you could always declare any sport as a religion as well.

True religions are not easily defined, but typical characteristics include dogmatic belief in absolute truths.
I fail to see that in Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency.

So the answer is no.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Buttknuckle

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:22:21 PM

I don't really see the connection between religions and cryptos.  Maybe if you only use the loosest definition of religion.  OTOH we do have our messiah (Satoshi), but we seem to lack a codified centralized belief system.  But we do have the OTHER - christians currently have gays, and we have banks, PP, CC, et. al.

ayesha201006

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:23:43 PM

Religion lol are you serious?  OK I see the connection you are trying to make but I can;t see anything spiritual about bitcoins.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 02:25:20 PM

At least its a religion without any lies and or half truths.....
melody82

Activity: 378
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:39:48 PM

I really don't wee what is magic or spiritual about any crypto.  Perhaps this could be the next great gimmick in cryptos: Faithcoin, the coin in which you can BELIEVE lol.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:40:18 PM

I definitely don't see this as a religion. A religion has a God, which was never been seen, and who lives on people's minds. A religion is based on things that cannot be seen, but only believed in. Bitcoin can definitely be seen and it's "truthness" can be proved with science and mathematics Smiley It's actually quite the opposite of a religion...

This is a bit more like a football/soccer club, or any other sports club Smiley We have "fans", people who spread news about their "team", we have "coaches", "players"... Cheesy
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Thug for life!

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:47:36 PM

I definitely don't see this as a religion. A religion has a God, which was never been seen, and who lives on people's minds. A religion is based on things that cannot be seen, but only believed in. Bitcoin can definitely be seen and it's "truthness" can be proved with science and mathematics Smiley It's actually quite the opposite of a religion...

This is a bit more like a football/soccer club, or any other sports club Smiley We have "fans", people who spread news about their "team", we have "coaches", "players"... Cheesy

could shatoshi nakamoto be our the god for bitcoin? would the Scientology church be more of a place to talk about bitcoin?

I know i read somewhere if we get more then 10k people together we could form a church, maybe it could be done for the extreme fanatics.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:48:49 PM

no i don't think so, i can see it as a new instrument for toying, emotional attacking and defending, appear in every environment, it isn't something related to religion only(unless you want to classify everything as a religion), it appear especially in gaming

i think that bitcoin is more akin to the gaming industry then anything else
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:49:35 PM

Cryptocurrencies is almost an "idealism", with the focus on changing the way money is used and "held" by people, but only because we believe in the potencial of cryptocurrencies it doesn't make it a religion.

At least its a religion without any lies and or half truths.....

Satoshi created Bitcoin, but who is Satoshi?
It's almost the same thing with Jesus.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1501

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 03:03:53 PM

I have no idea about this, it sounds ridiculous. I think people just love bitcoin so much, like world people loving the real money. We don't need to worship something that was created by humans. Don't make any new religion like O or Sciencetology.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x