Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 09:38:11 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin, the Religion?!  (Read 4325 times)
kenbytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 05:15:44 PM

I follow the religion of bitcoin and Satoshi is our one and only Prophet. We need to find new converts everyday to help grow our religion Smiley

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 06:34:54 PM

I follow the religion of bitcoin and Satoshi is our one and only Prophet. We need to find new converts everyday to help grow our religion Smiley

Welcome to Jonestown

dodgecharger

Activity: 1005
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 09:31:48 PM

Satoshi's second coming will herald the apocalyptic collapse of fiat. All devout bitcoiners shall be assured entry into the blockchain... so it is written.
knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 10:56:30 PM

well its a religion that is getting new believers every day ,if we didnt believe it would be dead already.The same way as others religious that survived from the past .
deliciousowl (OP)

Activity: 432

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 08:06:05 AM

Actually it was Flavor Aid and not Kool Aid.

turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 12:19:09 PM

You can also believe in your company, country, even spouse or kids but this is not connected with religion.
People can even believe in God without need for religion.
Religion is, by definition, institutional and includes church services, the priests, shared spiritual values etc.
We can believe in bitcoin but bitcoin will never replace the institutional faith and service to God.

Taoism nor Buddhism require those. Usually people do not spend hours posting on the internet about how awesome their company is, or claim it will save the world. Bitcoin actually even has its own eschatology, as well as principles of gnosis.

I notice a lot of posts here who content that it's not a religion, because Christianity is. Well, then you better go and discard all the other Abrahamic religions, as well as Shinto, Tao, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.
Seriously?
I saw this claims many times, when it comes to Apple. There are people worshiping Steve Jobs as a perfect being, the same way, some people worship Satoshi as a perfect being.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
g1974ak

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 12:24:03 PM

Everything can be made religion if believed with anormality. Bitcoin can be religion for them who loves the money. The people who live to make money, to spend money, to accumulate money are the more particularly vulnerable to create a religion believe for the bitcoin.
gumcruise

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 02:01:22 PM

Seriously?
I saw this claims many times, when it comes to Apple. There are people worshiping Steve Jobs as a perfect being, the same way, some people worship Satoshi as a perfect being.

That's because Steve Jobs purposely engineered it to be this way. And I said usually. A company with a trillion dollar market cap is not "usual".
turvarya

Activity: 714

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 04:24:03 PM

Seriously?

That's because Steve Jobs purposely engineered it to be this way. And I said usually. A company with a trillion dollar market cap is not "usual".
So, we agree, if Bitcoin is a religion, than Apple is also a religion?

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
misterycoins

Activity: 249

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 11:10:20 PM

The prophecy will soon reveal itself, and we shall all take our rightful places on the moon Verily To the moon!!! , it is written
deliciousowl (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 09:51:36 AM

Seriously?

So, we agree, if Bitcoin is a religion, than Apple is also a religion?

It's a little bit less of a religion, but yes.

gambit1

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 12:33:11 PM

It wrong because bitcoin means something different to different people. The idea that meaning is universal is fallacious.

I can't be bothered to go into all the different things that bitcoin "means" to people but to some people its just something to make money off. To be honest I'm pretty much one of them. I do "believe" in bitcoin to some extent but I just mostly see it as a vehicle to enrich myself.

When I trade bitcoin I could be trading stocks, or pork bellies. I certainly don't "believe" in stocks, still less in pork bellies in any "spiritual" sense.
deliciousowl (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 02:03:59 PM

It wrong because bitcoin means something different to different people. The idea that meaning is universal is fallacious.

I can't be bothered to go into all the different things that bitcoin "means" to people but to some people its just something to make money off. To be honest I'm pretty much one of them. I do "believe" in bitcoin to some extent but I just mostly see it as a vehicle to enrich myself.

When I trade bitcoin I could be trading stocks, or pork bellies. I certainly don't "believe" in stocks, still less in pork bellies in any "spiritual" sense.

And when I read the bible I feel like I'm reading a fiction novel written by schizophrenics, but that doesn't disqualify it as a religion. You should be glad that you are not affected by this, although seeing it purely as a vehicle to enrich yourself is a bit shortsighted.

The point of the article is to arrive where you already are, in a secular analytical perspective devoid of such apparitions of the mind. Absolutely no meaning is universal, and the article most certainly didn't state that it is.

You're already where the article is supposed to lead people who have been blinded by spirituality. By denying it I guess you encourage more people to stay in their belief system (Bitcoin), which then again benefits you financially.  

Not that there's anything bad about that, but there's a staggering amount of people who perceive Bitcoin as a religion. I wrote this article because I was tired of seeing them, debating them, and having to deal with irrational behavior. I felt like someone finally had to address it. Cryptocurrency cults and personality worship cost a lot of people everything they owned. Paycoin was a vacuum of hundreds of thousands of dollars senselessly burned. Some people convinced their grandparents and parents to buy, with disastrous results (like not being able to pay medical bills).

The most bizarre reactions here are the Christians who didn't read the article, and feel the need to defend their own religion and god. Do you feel that threatened by Bitcoin? I don't see such posts in threads about Islam or Judaism or Hinduism... but somehow this draws them out. Why? Also, why does the catholic church feel the need to brand bitcoin as the "mark of the devil"?

dollarneed

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:00:02 PM

i always think that bitcoin is not religion its like passion
so what about your hobby for example you reall like using iphone so do you think apple is religon?
oh cmon guys its totally different
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:24:43 PM

Everything is based on beliefs on this world. If you don't believe in stuff they have hardly any value.

Guys can just throw away their gold bars into a volcano, if they dont believe in gold's value.

deliciousowl (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:27:12 PM

i always think that bitcoin is not religion its like passion
so what about your hobby for example you reall like using iphone so do you think apple is religon?
oh cmon guys its totally different

Actually, there are brain scans that prove this. And it also proves that you didn't read the article in the OP. Smiley

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-causes-religious-reaction-in-brains-of-fans-say-neuroscientists/

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:29:49 PM

Satoshi's second coming will herald the apocalyptic collapse of fiat. All devout bitcoiners shall be assured entry into the blockchain... so it is written.

OMG your post made my day Cheesy

Will the prophet Satoshi come back after 2000 years? And will it bring doom to the heathens and heretics engulfed in the tentacles of the fiat devil? Cheesy

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 09:07:46 PM

Bitcoin is far more worthy of a cult following than any of the bronze age Myth-Books most theists adore.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
GaliX

Activity: 504

1NtkLdA98eGnsn8nEKpBGRd2VYGNBkGzd6

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 12:19:52 AM

Bitcoin is far more worthy of a cult following than any of the bronze age Myth-Books most theists adore.

in the End bitcoin is like even like an esoteric thing...

If you think the Credit Card companies are evil you will hail your Bitcoins...

Just like if you think you need special Water every day because the regular one comes with evil harmful things in it.

Trade:   Forex (€/$...) - Stocks(Apple, Google..) - Commodities(Gold, Oil...) and Indices(S&P 500, Dax...)
All with BTCitcoin only -----   https://1broker.com ----- up to 200x Leverage & since 2012 ---
knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 10:34:57 PM

religion is something that human beings need to have and believe in order to justify their actions , Christians , budisdas , judeus.Nao have a group that recruiting and preparing terrorist attacks constant people, only do so because they believe in something , not to be famous only because they see this religion the solution of their problems or the company envolvente.Nao comparing religions because it can not do so , the Templar knights killed to protect today still kill , but to demonstrate poder.Se bitcoins were conceived in the time of the alleged gods now the world currency would be bitcoins ? Previously bought a product with other products , until create the currency .Our bitcoin can take today again the role of the exchange of products.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: