Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:37:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pool Choice  (Read 1285 times)
BitMainBuyer (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 12:13:38 PM

I have just received an S5. I know absolutely nothing about the different types of mining pools, and after some researching it looks like it would take a lot of time to fully understand them all.

On that note, what pool can you recommend to an average Joe with an S5?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 12:59:45 PM

Everybody's going to have different opinions, so let me be the first to give you one Smiley.

-ck/kano (the guys who wrote the software that your S5 uses to mine) run kano.is.  Straightforward, no-nonsense pool.

P2Pool.  I've run my own node for over a year.  It's nice and decentralized, and has treated me very well.  Some people have reported issues with S5s on p2pool.  Others have reported they work just fine.  One of the miners on my node uses an S5 and it works just fine.

Try solo mining because why not?  It's risky, but what if you hit?

If you want to rent your gear out to people, try Mining Rig Rentals (yes, that's a referral link... feel free to not use it).  I use that service and have had great success both renting out my own gear, and renting other's gear.  Also, you can try NiceHash / WestHash (no referral links there).

Hope this helps.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 02:05:44 PM

Use this : http://nodes.p2pool.co/

example = http://minefast.coincadence.com/
user = Bitcoin address
password = nothing

when P2Pool find a block, you will be pay automaticly ... without manual withdraw or minimal amount.
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 02:55:27 PM

Use this : http://nodes.p2pool.co/

example = http://minefast.coincadence.com/
user = Bitcoin address
password = nothing

when P2Pool find a block, you will be pay automaticly ... without manual withdraw or minimal amount.
Ideally, OP would want to run his own p2pool node.  However, your suggestion is valid if they don't want to bother with the hassle and just want to point that S5 to an existing node Smiley

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
BitMainBuyer (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 07:47:32 PM

I'm currently pointing to - stratum+tcp://stratum.antpool.com:3333

This doesn't mean I'm solo mining right? This is pooled mining and I have to pay 1% fee or something...

Should I also include stratum+tcp://stratum.antpool.com:25 + :443 ?

What if I pointed to solo.antpool.com instead? Would that be solo mining?
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 08:28:34 PM

I'm currently pointing to - stratum+tcp://stratum.antpool.com:3333

This doesn't mean I'm solo mining right? This is pooled mining and I have to pay 1% fee or something...

Should I also include stratum+tcp://stratum.antpool.com:25 + :443 ?

What if I pointed to solo.antpool.com instead? Would that be solo mining?
LOL... you ask us for recommendations, then you come back and tell us you're pointing to antpool.

No, you are not solo mining pointing your S5 to stratum.antpool.com:3333.  Ports 25 and 443 are only there in case you've got some kind of network problems preventing you from hitting their standard stratum port.

solo.antpool.com is not solo mining either.  It's the same pool as stratum.antpool.com.  What they mean by "solo" is absurd.  Most every pool works like they describe their "solo" pool.  There's nothing magical about it.

Now, in my opinion I don't particularly like antpool.  I mentioned some choices in my first post... here are some good reputable pools that I recommend:

p2pool - because I mine here and like it
kano.is - run by the guys who wrote your mining software
bitminter - DrHaribo is always on here and responds on the pool thread regularly
slush - pretty much the first pool ever
MRR - great way to remotely manage your gear (I have used it for over 7 months).
nicehash/westhash - rental site that is PPS for 3%.  A lot of times you can make more than expectations due to higher demands for rentals.

loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 02:51:18 PM

Whatever you chose avoid Chinese pools
You can read the forum carefully and decide - the most important is to whom you trust and that is completely up to you

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
TheAnalogKid

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 02:02:12 PM

I'll echo johnnybravo's comments, especially the one to not use antpool (and all Chinese pools for that matter).

I have all my miners pointed to MRR to start.  When they're not rented, I split my hash between ckpool and NastyPool - a p2pool instance with a custom front end called NastyPoP.  This front end attempts to pay miners more evenly, which reduces variance and helps stabilize payouts for smaller miners running on standard p2pool. Check my sig for links to read for more info, and also read the thread Johnny has going about the comparison between NastyPoP/NastyPool and standard p2pool. 

I also recommend to always use at least two different pools.  First reason is obviously failover in case one pool goes down.  The other reason is to even out luck, and have two sources of income in case one pool happens to have a bad luck streak.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: