Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:51:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buyers who renege on deals?  (Read 1834 times)
thebaron (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 10:18:05 PM

Would this be the appropriate place to discuss such things? Would "Marketplace" be better? Should there be a sticky so we can refuse to deal with people others have had issues with?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 10:20:26 PM

*Shameless plug* You could always leave them feedback at bitcoinfeedback.com...

But personally, I equate backing down on one's word with scamming.  Maybe not quite as bad, but they still get a negative feedback from me if they do it.
thebaron (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 10:23:56 PM

Interesting. Just signed up, but there's some PHP errors showing up on the successful registration page. Just PM'ed them to you.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 10:32:51 PM

Interesting. Just signed up, but there's some PHP errors showing up on the successful registration page. Just PM'ed them to you.
Ah, that's the page you were talking about.  Alright, I'll look in to it, thanks.
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:32:58 PM

I assume this is about our unsuccessful transaction.

Your communication was poor. Having had successful trades with others on this board, perhaps I got spoiled by good communication and set times (as in, "I'm mailing this to you at 1pm" rather than a vague "later on"). Your vague terms and seeming uncaring attitude about a buyer's anxiety didn't sit well. My mistake was in not doing escrow, a mistake I'll learn from. This is all new to a lot of us.

I do appreciate you refunding my money.
thebaron (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:54:22 PM

I still can't believe I'm getting accused of bad communication.

You asked me yesterday if I still had silver bullion for sale after taking it off the market here. Even though you had initially contacted me about the ad and had promised (and failed) to e-mail me on September 3rd with a reply if you had still wanted the bullion or not, I decided to reply .I said yes. You asked for a good deal. Since I want to liquidate all my silver holdings, I gave you a price of @ spot and free shipping. You insisted on overpaying me beyond my quote, and I figured on a price which included shipping and packing. I gave you my BTC address for this transaction and you sent them. You still overpaid beyond that amount. I replied and told you I got the BTC and asked for a mailing address and would send you the tracking number for the package tomorrow. You seemed confused, because you sent an e-mail with your address that must have gotten caught up in a spam filter. So you sent your address again using an alternate method. I confirmed getting the address through the new method.

You would think that would be plenty of communication for most people? Nope. I got a PM through here today at 1:30 PM accusing me of being untrustworthy because I somehow haven't met his standards for communication.  So I tried to tell him that I would get to it in about an hour along with any other mailing I planned to do for the day and e-mail him when I was done with the tracking number. This wasn't good enough for him, and he demanded a full refund which I sent. I could be an asshole and deduct the .0005 transaction fee, but...

Sorry dude, you're going in my memory as one of my worst selling experiences ever.
Severian

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 12:01:22 AM

I didn't like the way you did biz. I asked for and received my money back. I'll gladly refund your transaction fee if you give me an address to send to.

Lessons learned on both sides.
thebaron (OP)

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:06:44 AM

I apologize for not updating this thread sooner, but Severian and I were able to work out our differences. Great guy to deal with, we both learned things from this experience.
Severian

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 04:26:29 AM

The feeling is mutual, Baron. You're an honest trader and a good dude to boot. Thanks for the chance to say so.

I'm taking half the silver to a friend that does silversmithing to make something for my waaaay better half. I was about to use old coin metal to do it, so your silver came just in time.

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 08:10:08 PM

Until BTC changes hands, there is no transaction, thus no scam because there was no loss.

I think everyone that made hedges based on Matthew's bet would be willing to disagree with that. A man's only as good as his word. That said, I'm not sure how to handle backing out of bounties, I've done so after lengthy periods of time and removing the bounty. I'm always worried if I commit those funds to something else, then someone says "where'd the bounty go?" I'll be stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Nolo

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
October 13, 2012, 06:43:04 AM

*Shameless plug* You could always leave them feedback at bitcoinfeedback.com...

But personally, I equate backing down on one's word with scamming.  Maybe not quite as bad, but they still get a negative feedback from me if they do it.

As long as there was an acceptance, I agree with you.  Offer + Acceptance + Consideration = Binding Contract. 

There are massive legal fights all the time over whether something was really an offer or whether something was really an acceptance. 

Today we still mostly rely on theories based on several hundred year old common law to make these determinations.  So it isn't always easy to know if something is an offer or if something is an acceptance, but when there is, there is a contract, and should be treated as such. 

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2012, 06:43:56 AM

I've had three active users of this forum order custom hand tooled leather wallets of which I paid fiat in full to my brother-in-law. After several attempts to collect payment, all three have ignored my requests on many occasions. I have never, nor never will, divulge their names or request scammer tags for them, even though I'm currently out about $500 USD. But I know who they are. They know who they are. And about every other day when I visit Martin's studio, those three wallets with their names on them stare at me. It was because of me, not him, not getting paid that Martin decided to not do any more Bitcoin themed items, hence the removal of that link in my sig. There actions, or should I say the lack thereof, cause a riff between me and Martin for a short while, but that too has passed.

As far as I know, the three guys I speak of are not bad guys or are involved in anything nefarious, but it does make me wonder if they can't honor an agreement to have costume work perform at such a low price point, how the hell is it that they're capable of honoring higher dollar contracts of which they're now involved in.

~Bruno K~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: