Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:30:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving up on the Trezor soon.  (Read 3665 times)
ColderThanIce

Activity: 373
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 01:53:06 PM

My understanding is that you need to put your recovery seed into electrum in order for it to display your wallet. My understanding is also that if you have a trezor device, then all you need to recover your private keys is your recovery seed. Although I do not have a trezor personally so there may be an additional step required to recover access to your private keys.
I don't think this is how Electrum works with Trezor. I set my existing Trezor up with Electrum a few months ago, but from what I recall all I needed to do was create a new Trezor wallet within Electrum, and then Electrum asks for the user's passphrase or PIN, and then you can see all the balances on the Trezor accounts. So no recovery seed is needed to setup a Trezor with Electrum.
You may be using a newer version of electrum. A few months ago I was helping the OP with a problem with his trezor, was given the recovery seed and was asked for the seed to setup the electrum wallet. IIRC, I was using 1.8 or 1.9 at the time. I would need to double check if this is still the case with 2.2
That's a very possible reason. I've been using Electrum 2.1.1 for awhile now, but IIRC I setup the wallet on Electrum 2.0. It would definitely be nice if they had fixed that problem, because having to enter a recovery seed to spend funds every time sort of defeats the purpose of using the Trezor as a secure bitcoin wallet.

ROLLIN.IO  BITCOIN   DICE   GAME
   ⚁    ⚂    ⚃    ⚄   ⚅   ⚁   ⚂
                                        ███████████████████    
                                      ██                                    ██
      ██████████████████                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██  
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██████████            ██████
      ██                            ██              ██          ██
      ██                            ██                 ██       ██
      ██                            ██                    ██    ██
      ███████        ███████                        ████
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
█         ████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2300

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 01:57:16 PM

My understanding is that you need to put your recovery seed into electrum in order for it to display your wallet. My understanding is also that if you have a trezor device, then all you need to recover your private keys is your recovery seed. Although I do not have a trezor personally so there may be an additional step required to recover access to your private keys.
I don't think this is how Electrum works with Trezor. I set my existing Trezor up with Electrum a few months ago, but from what I recall all I needed to do was create a new Trezor wallet within Electrum, and then Electrum asks for the user's passphrase or PIN, and then you can see all the balances on the Trezor accounts. So no recovery seed is needed to setup a Trezor with Electrum.
You may be using a newer version of electrum. A few months ago I was helping the OP with a problem with his trezor, was given the recovery seed and was asked for the seed to setup the electrum wallet. IIRC, I was using 1.8 or 1.9 at the time. I would need to double check if this is still the case with 2.2
That's a very possible reason. I've been using Electrum 2.1.1 for awhile now, but IIRC I setup the wallet on Electrum 2.0. It would definitely be nice if they had fixed that problem, because having to enter a recovery seed to spend funds every time sort of defeats the purpose of using the Trezor as a secure bitcoin wallet.
You would only need to enter the recovery seed the first time you setup the wallet, however I don't think most people would use a strong password to protect the seed because they would think that the funds are sufficiently protected by the trezor.
NoBit

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 04:23:45 PM

You would only need to enter the recovery seed the first time you setup the wallet, however I don't think most people would use a strong password to protect the seed because they would think that the funds are sufficiently protected by the trezor.

You don't need the recovering seed when using newest version of electrum + trezor. Only the PIN.

Bitrated user: nobit.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 04:27:17 PM

You don't need the recovering seed when using newest version of electrum + trezor. Only the PIN.
that is definitely a big improvement
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:23:20 PM

I don't think this is an accurate statement.

This is on version 2.2
cetus

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:38:20 PM

Even if you can import the recovery seed, it doesn't mean you need to.

It is commonly considered more secure to keep the keys in the TREZOR and use Electrum/Mycelium/etc. as an interface to the TREZOR.  This way Electrum acts as a replacement for the myTrezor web interface.
See http://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-apps/electrum.html .
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:44:55 PM

It is commonly considered more secure to keep the keys in the TREZOR and use Electrum/Mycelium/etc. as an interface to the TREZOR.  This way Electrum acts as a replacement for the myTrezor web interface.

When I try to create a new wallet -->hardware wallet --> trezor, electrum simply closes. This could be because I do not have a trezor connected to my computer (I'm not sure).

owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1967

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 11:03:00 PM

When I try to create a new wallet -->hardware wallet --> trezor, electrum simply closes. This could be because I do not have a trezor connected to my computer (I'm not sure).

Yeah I had the same problem, no trezor to plug in, so I gave up. Worse, I had about 5 HD Accounts on my trezor. The only possible way to get any coins back was using Multi-bit and then, it was only able to recover from HD account 1 - all my other coins seemed to be irretrievable.

Panic sets in of course! Tried Mycelium import, failed again... Gave Up for the night, then I (PRAISE THE LORD!) found my lost trezor device on the floor of my office the next day! It had slipped out of my bag.  Roll Eyes

Anyhow, it was a long restless night, to say the least. Now, I only have 1 HD account, and all my coins are in that, so that if it happens again, at least multi-bit will work.

Not sure if it's been fixed, but no updates to firmware on trezor since, so i'm playing it safe for now.

Also, I too use mycelium instead of mytrezor, works fantastic. Wink

Not a big fan of the plastic build-quality of the trezor and the crappy USB cable broke very fast on me too, but otherwise, best-behaving and trusted wallet so far, I may have to get another one - I do hope they improve the quality, I would like it to be metal instead of plastic! Wink

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 12:25:51 PM

Not a big fan of the plastic build-quality of the trezor and the crappy USB cable broke very fast on me too, but otherwise, best-behaving and trusted wallet so far, I may have to get another one - I do hope they improve the quality, I would like it to be metal instead of plastic! Wink

I thought that trezor is made from some high grade quality plastic, like thinkpad T/X laptops or guns and not from some low-cost one..I'm potentially interested to buy one, but build quality is quite important to me..can you please share little bit more?
owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 12:37:30 PM

I thought that trezor is made from some high grade quality plastic, like thinkpad T/X laptops or guns and not from some low-cost one..I'm potentially interested to buy one, but build quality is quite important to me..can you please share little bit more?

I suppose the plastic is above normal quality, but it doesn't feel like it's anything too special. Like I said, I would prefer some type of metal case, but they don't make one. Overall though, I do think it's safe and very easy to use.

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 12:46:02 PM

Like I said, I would prefer some type of metal case, but they don't make one. Overall though, I do think it's safe and very easy to use.

uhh, I think, that they did some of them in past, but they stopped production. maybe, you can mail them and they had just case for sale

looks cool:)
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 12:53:56 PM

I think the guys behind Trezor should consider making another batch of those metal Trezors.

Maybe a 'Limited Edition' run of say a 1,000 units or something. I'm sure they will be sold out very quickly. I know I will get one, or two, or....  Grin
Sakarias-Corporation (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 01:27:38 PM

When I ordered my Trezor I was actually expecting a METAL one since all the rewies state that it was metal. The Trezor on their website was even Metal made....I got a plastic one. USB cable broke after 5 minutes (literally)
I don't even wanna try to see if it's water proof as they say.

I love my Trezor even tho there's been a lot of headaches and miss guided advertisements.

owlcatz
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 02:26:44 PM

I think the guys behind Trezor should consider making another batch of those metal Trezors.

Maybe a 'Limited Edition' run of say a 1,000 units or something. I'm sure they will be sold out very quickly. I know I will get one, or two, or....  Grin

I agree, and I knew they had a batch in the beginning, just hope they do another run of the metal ones... Cool pic above. Wink

When I ordered my Trezor I was actually expecting a METAL one since all the rewies state that it was metal. The Trezor on their website was even Metal made....I got a plastic one. USB cable broke after 5 minutes (literally)

I love my Trezor even tho there's been a lot of headaches and miss guided advertisements.

Yeah, a lot of the reviews are outdated, they are all plastic now. The usb cable is crap, but at least it's standard, so it's not that big a deal to me....

I have never heard of the waterproof claim. I don't believe it, at least not for the plastic ones and no I'm not gonna try it out either! Wink

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
ColderThanIce

Activity: 373
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 03:49:59 PM

Yeah, a lot of the reviews are outdated, they are all plastic now. The usb cable is crap, but at least it's standard, so it's not that big a deal to me....

I have never heard of the waterproof claim. I don't believe it, at least not for the plastic ones and no I'm not gonna try it out either! Wink
I thought I remembered seeing that the Trezor was waterproof as well, but I just checked out their Hardware Specs page ( https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-faq/hardware.html ) and according to that page, the Trezor is not waterproof.

ROLLIN.IO  BITCOIN   DICE   GAME
   ⚁    ⚂    ⚃    ⚄   ⚅   ⚁   ⚂
                                        ███████████████████    
      ██████████████████                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██  
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██████████            ██████
      ██                            ██              ██          ██
      ██                            ██                 ██       ██
      ██                            ██                    ██    ██
      ███████        ███████                        ████
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
Sakarias-Corporation (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 03:58:34 PM

I thought I remembered seeing that the Trezor was waterproof as well, but I just checked out their Hardware Specs page ( https://doc.satoshilabs.com/trezor-faq/hardware.html ) and according to that page, the Trezor is not waterproof.

Yeah it's really weird, that was one of the reasons I bought it. And it suddenly disappeared lol

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: