Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 06:14:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Bitcoins are lost forever?  (Read 42997 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
July 18, 2015, 08:49:38 AM

This is much to less if you follow all the proofed looses.
I just read this today http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/06/01/blockchain-sent-8k-worth-bitcoin-to-wrong-address/
Another 8k of Bitcoins are (probably) lost forever, if no one has the private key of the wrong address.

If you are looking for a number, my guess is about 5000 lost bitcoins if we gather all together. And even more...
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:19:41 PM

I can not believe that anyone today can forget lose your password, and consequently their bitcoins , at first believe it was despised and forgotten, but now the value not being famous in 1000 dollars , but perhaps about 10,000 lost bitcoins .
roadbits
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 10:52:03 PM

No one really knows how much because of the amount of the users of bitcoin. Imagine the guy who throw away his hard drive with tons of BTC in it. Yes that's a real news.
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 01:29:29 AM

One of the main reasons it's basically impossible to exactly know the % of the supply that's lost forever is the fact that you can't know if an address that hasn't got activity for a long time means the owner lost the password, or the owner is simply holding those coins and working with other addresses for transactions.
Genesys

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 01:35:37 AM

there was a story of a guy who had a HDD with a large amount of Bitcoin on it, and he threw it away, and went digging through the dump.  7500 Bitcoin mined on a laptop!! Those were the days, LOL!!

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/27/hard-drive-bitcoin-landfill-site
Yeah I heard that as well, I would've searched my ass off on that dump if that had happened to me. But it never will as I still online wallets for my transactions and bitcoins.

Oo You realize that WAY more bitcoins were lost (to their owners) because they held coins on exchanges, online wallets and such? You really should think that over. Giving your bitcoins to someone other brings always the question up if you get them back. Only when you control the private key and no one other has access to it, then you can say that you are relatively safe.

Sometimes both happen at the same time.
When the exchange accidentally deletes its wallet!
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2828445

*lol* Didnt hear of that yet. Unbelieveable. Cold Wallet? Backups on the same drives? Even i have backups on different places and im not even an exchange. Hefty... the worst thing is, you only know when something like that happens that the one you trusted is not the smartest.

I was thinking that hardware wallets are the safest way to protect from such loss of any coin.
For that reason I was looking at getting a Trezor. But that gets me thinking, this too can happen to that too, am I correct? How about having two or three Trezors to span the coins on so you don't lose all your bank in case of hardware failure.
ANdr0id

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 01:43:09 AM

Read this about Trezzor and what is being found about it if it worth it or not to use as a cold storage option:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1127955.msg11919301;boardseen#new
Scaccomatt0
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

https://cryptoworld.io

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 06:21:00 PM

well the number is not predictable..

“Every morning in the world, a private key wakes up, it knows it must outrun the fastest oblivion or it will be lost. Every morning in Africa, a neuron wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the oblivion, or it will forget the private key. It doesn't matter whether you're the neuron or a private key-when the sun comes up, you'd better backup the private-key.”

████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
               ______
          __███████████████_      █████         █████          █████           █████
       _█████████████████████      █████         █████        █████           █████
     _███████¯¯¯     ¯¯██████       █████         █████      █████           █████
   _██████¯            ¯████¯        █████         █████    █████           █████
  ██████¯                             █████          ██████████            █████
 ██████                               █████          ██████████            █████
 █████                                 █████         ██████████            █████
█████                                  █████          ████████            █████
█████                                  █████           ██████             █████
█████                                  █████           ██████             █████
█████                                  █████           ██████            █████    
█████                                   █████          ██████          █████    
 █████                                  █████          ██████          █████
 ██████                                 █████          ██████        █████
  ██████_                                █████         ██████        █████
   ¯██████_            _████_            █████        ████████       █████
     ¯███████___     __██████            █████      █████  █████     █████
       ¯█████████████████████             █████    █████    █████   █████
          ¯¯███████████████¯               ████████████      ███████████
               ¯¯¯¯¯¯                      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯         ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
|

FAUCET
ICO
ANDROID

████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
ridery99

Activity: 616

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 07:16:11 PM

I lost 15 in 2012
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 07:21:00 PM

Nobody knows. I would say it's about 500000 coins, but it's just my guess.
gcrcoinminer

Activity: 3

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 07:34:54 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever know.
fcuk

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 08:13:14 PM

Doesn't even matter. More coins that are lost the better for everyone who holds them as it will only increase their value.
Somekindabitcoin

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 08:24:37 PM

Doesn't even matter. More coins that are lost the better for everyone who holds them as it will only increase their value.

It would be amazing if there's lost 20m from 21m, Bitcoin will be definitely different! Cheesy
knowhow

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:00:31 PM

it would be a good option to blockhain get all accounts that hasnt any moove from 6 months,to get those funds and put them on some fund ,this would be donated to charity these way wouldnt be any coin losted and we will know how many bitcoins were lost but i guess wont happen .
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:25:14 PM

Try to recover your deleted harddrive files. There is a good chance to get the wallet.dat back if you have not stored much new stuff after the removal. Take a Google search in order to find many appropriate free software to do a recovery.

add one more btc to the bitcoin that are lost for ever, i had 1 btc saved in my laptop for a rainy day and the hdd just died forgot to make a backup copy.

Well that sucks, dont give up just now you could always try and recover the data replacing the part on the hard drive that die, check your local pc repair store just dont tell them about the bitcoin,
i had a friend with the same type of issue and they took his bitcoin it wasnt much but it was money.

That is a bad situation, what happened to the hdd? try to give a try to fix the bad sectors of the hard disk

I had a similar situation before when my hdd only worked to surf in browsers and i could access nothing more.
Somekindabitcoin

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:30:39 PM

it would be a good option to blockhain get all accounts that hasnt any moove from 6 months,to get those funds and put them on some fund ,this would be donated to charity these way wouldnt be any coin losted and we will know how many bitcoins were lost but i guess wont happen .

That's total BS. Imagine you are holding 90000 BTC for 2 years and now boom some guy said it so they took my coins and donated it to themselves.
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:46:18 PM

That's total BS. Imagine you are holding 90000 BTC for 2 years and now boom some guy said it so they took my coins and donated it to themselves.

Go to digital market sector here in the forum (market place) and i saw a post 25$ Amazon Gift card for 0.5 BTC Smiley wasn't that cool?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 07:14:36 AM

not really because in this phase there are more people that are holding and do not want to sell, this mean that if many coins are lost right now, there won't be enough for the buyers

so it does matter
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 06:10:16 PM

Well, developing an app what is doing exactly this is not a big deal. You just need the download the blockchain and traverse all transactions.

knowhow

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 07:06:21 PM

as i said to charity not to them the wallet should be public soo we should know where the bitcoins went or would go anyway,holding bitcoins for 2 years is too many time without check if them keeps there i wouldnt sleep well with such ammount lol

I got your point on those but those people always login at the wallet soo means he or her is alive lol,but as i said it would be good and bad as you already said above ,this would only expose how many coins were losted,but speculation is better then know the real ammount
jaberwock
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1073

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 07:13:16 PM

Steal people's money due to inactivity? It is like the worst of bank practices.

If you are out of computer access(hospital, prison, etc), I think you would not like to come back and see that the blockchain system stole all your coins

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: