Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 06:22:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Bitcoins are lost forever?  (Read 43009 times)
Fatanut
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1060

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 12:47:17 PM

I think we lose about 1 bitcoin a year or even more. Think about it. A lot of people use bitcoin and they put their bitcoins onto an address then they just forget about that small amount and they lose the private key. Multiply this by a million people then we lose that much bitcoins. Even if its a small amount of satoshi, one or even 100 then that a lot.

That is just some "think about it" thinking or simply speculation. Even if my reply to you is also pure speculation since we don't have a way to find out a way to make statistics, I think that 1BTC a year is such a low amount for how much bitcoins are lost forever. The early investors that didn't actually care about bitcoins or probably forgot where they hid their private keys, that makes up thousands of coins already. The bitcoin users that dies, loses their private keys, and all that makes up some more coins.

I also don't think that we're even a million in population so there's not a million people losing their bitcoins.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

BitCloak Bitcoin Mixer  
  BTC & BCH | API| MULTIADDRESS| PGP PROOF|  FAST MIX |  ESCROW|  MORE ! 

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄██████████▄
░░░██████████████
░░██████▐▌██████
█████░░░░░░░▀█████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░██████
████████░░▀▀▄██████
████████░░▄▄▄░░█████
██████▀▀░░▀▀▀░░█████
█████░░░░░░░░█████
░░██████▐▌██████
░░░██████████████
░░░░▀██████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░

tripplewarz

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 05:00:55 PM

I think we lose about 1 bitcoin a year or even more. Think about it. A lot of people use bitcoin and they put their bitcoins onto an address then they just forget about that small amount and they lose the private key. Multiply this by a million people then we lose that much bitcoins. Even if its a small amount of satoshi, one or even 100 then that a lot.

That is just some "think about it" thinking or simply speculation. Even if my reply to you is also pure speculation since we don't have a way to find out a way to make statistics, I think that 1BTC a year is such a low amount for how much bitcoins are lost forever. The early investors that didn't actually care about bitcoins or probably forgot where they hid their private keys, that makes up thousands of coins already. The bitcoin users that dies, loses their private keys, and all that makes up some more coins.

I also don't think that we're even a million in population so there's not a million people losing their bitcoins.
This speculation on this theme is possible without sense, because official data gives no loss of bitcoin, and count is not available and possible.
Supebox

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 05:12:18 PM

I know it is a tricky question. What do you think, how many Bitcoins are lost forever and are 'out of the network' by lost private keys?
difficult question , there is not person calculate .
but i think very many because users bitcoin many too

I agree we cannot calculate this at all but I think there is lost a pretty large amount.
bikbik2

Activity: 194

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 06:16:58 PM

Bitcoin are never lost.except stock in transaction
There is a view that those bitcoin lost along with the keys and access to the purses. You can not deny the fact that this may be that some users have lost them.
Mr.grin
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 06:18:35 PM

Well, most of which I omit bitcoin today because trading. Well, maybe I nearly lost about 0.5 BTC. but, I think it was very appropriate with the results I get. Well, maybe I lost a total of bitcoin is 0.7 BTC, if added with investing and gambling.
raja2sumi

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 06:31:05 PM

lots and lots of bitcoins have been lost forever but the interesting mystery may be some programmers are trying hard a lot to bring back those bitcoins regulate in circles but u see thats against the rules ,well we have to wait for the future,.

▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬
● PLINKO  (+) ROULETTE ║ BITVEST ║ |7| SLOTS    ▼ BIT SPIN
▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬
salemon

Activity: 179

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 07:29:53 PM

Well, most of which I omit bitcoin today because trading. Well, maybe I nearly lost about 0.5 BTC. but, I think it was very appropriate with the results I get. Well, maybe I lost a total of bitcoin is 0.7 BTC, if added with investing and gambling.
Each user values ​​its bitcoin, and very difficult to imagine that all of them can easily be given to gambling, but you can not trade for income problems. But this makes it impossible to know how much large number of bitcoin on the lost forever.
TravisNeko

Activity: 85

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 08:38:54 PM

I know it is a tricky question. What do you think, how many Bitcoins are lost forever and are 'out of the network' by lost private keys?

We can simply not predict this indeed, I agree about this without any doubts!!
x4

Activity: 1106
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 10:45:53 PM

Each user values ​​its bitcoin, and very difficult to imagine that all of them can easily be given to gambling, but you can not trade for income problems. But this makes it impossible to know how much large number of bitcoin on the lost forever.
I guess there are lot of bitcoins lost everyday, that thousands of transaction in blockchain there are possibilities that some of them lost, bitcoin holder died, steal from others through virused/trojan or social engineering , then sending in a wrong address, so you can say that is lost already.
StevensonCarl

Activity: 85

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 10:59:17 PM

I agree we cannot calculate this at all but I think there is lost a pretty large amount.

Nope the fact is that there are lost a lot of coins but that we do not have stats of this at all!
NEWGOODOUBLE

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 15, 2016, 11:08:24 PM

Nope the fact is that there are lost a lot of coins but that we do not have stats of this at all!
of course there are many people who have lost their bitcoin. and we could not make the statistics about lost bitcoin. I myself several times lost bitcoin, luckily I had never get to experience that my bitcoin stolen
bL4nkcode
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1305

Limited in number. Limitless in potential.

View Profile
December 16, 2016, 01:21:54 AM

of course there are many people who have lost their bitcoin. and we could not make the statistics about lost bitcoin. I myself several times lost bitcoin, luckily I had never get to experience that my bitcoin stolen
Same here dude, I never experienced that my coins are stolen, I always double check my wallet everyday, the links that I clicked, and programs I installed if there are some hidden malware behind. And yes that's really true almost everyday many users lost their bitcoin around the world, but there are no lists or stats of lost bitcoin, but its really helpful if developers will do things about this, about the lost coins
e.g if there are dead wallet address (I don't know the term but something that almost years that this address is no longer be used but it has balance example, minimum of 0.01) that have amount on it they will be monitored or be listed in blockchain.
Conus

Activity: 236

View Profile
December 16, 2016, 01:39:52 AM

I know there are a large number of them.  I am one of the sad souls who did not take it seriously and lost my whole wallet after I invested $1,800 into 100 of them a long time a go.  It happens and good luck to whom ever finds them.
JANGKRIK BOSS

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 16, 2016, 02:58:02 AM

I know there are a large number of them.  I am one of the sad souls who did not take it seriously and lost my whole wallet after I invested $1,800 into 100 of them a long time a go.  It happens and good luck to whom ever finds them.
I am sure it will never be found, one weakness or maybe power of the bitcoin is if missing will really not be found again. Maybe this is what we must think together so that stocks remain stable.
Positid

Activity: 378

BULL RUN until 2030

View Profile
December 16, 2016, 05:19:31 AM

That could be true, that's why we short of supply nowadays and the price had increase. Before when bitcoin died people lost trust with it and they do not think it will risk again. For me, it's good for the new investors so when the demand will hugely increase the supply will be short and the price will rise again.

.Duelbits.
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
▄▀▄
█   █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█▀▀▀▀▀█
▀█▀█▀
█▄█
█▄█
▄▀▄
█   █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█▀▀▀▀▀█
▀█▀█▀
█▄█
█▄█
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀
 ▀▄    ▄▀▀
Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█
█  █    █    █  █  █ █
Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █
█     ▀▄▀     █   ▀▀  █
Blackjack
▄▄▀█████▀▄▄
▄▀▀   █████ ▄▄▀▀▄
███▄  ▄█████▄▀▀▄███
██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
█ ▀▀██▀ ▀▄   ▄▀ ▀██▀▀ █
█    █    ███    █    █
█ ▄▄██▄ ▄▀   ▀▄ ▄██▄▄ █
██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
Roulette
█▀▀▀▄             ▄▀▀▀█
█ ▀▄ ▀▄         ▄▀ ▄▀ █
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄     ▄▀ ▄▀ ▄▀
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄  ▀ ▄▀ ▄▀
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀ ▄▀
▄ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄  ▄
█ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀  ▄▀ █
▄▀▄ ▀▄ ▀ ▄▀ ▄▀▄
Dice Duels
Vaskiy
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1106

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
December 16, 2016, 06:26:26 AM

Bad luck for you, same happens with many users losing their bitcoin wallets. I don't think someone other than the original authority could get the wallet for his goodness. Because every address is unique. Also I believe the lost coins won't affect the bitcoin economy, as they're already calculated on mining.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
posternat

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 07:03:10 AM

The question to be really difficult to give a specific answer, I think about it, no one will ever know.

Yes, this is difficult to answer by those who are just earner of bitcoin but I guess, if someone lost their btc the creator of bitcoin can solve it since they know how bitcoin truly works and how can it be manage .
johnnyyash

Activity: 334

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 08:50:32 AM

though this question is hard to deal with....but i believe bitcoins might have been lost, some might have lost...but to know exact amount lost that's will be hard to know or impossible too know!!!!
jacafbiz

Activity: 2100
Merit: 530

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 10:20:51 AM

I believe this figure will be in the range of 2-3% of the total coins in circulation, I'm saying this because the reward was quite high in the beginning 50BTC per block and most people were only mining for fun then because mining was not yet business like it is today and some of these coins was lost.

█████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
knyolku123

Activity: 82

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 01:02:30 PM

I have lost my bitcoin yesterday, it happen because I sent my bitcoin to joining faucet but my mistake I don't read the rules of this faucet. when I deposit my bitcoin it is not adding my deposit in the faucet. so, I think my bitcoin is lost forever.  Cry 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: