Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:23:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why no press/PR re: the London Conference?  (Read 6057 times)
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:19:49 PM

We need someone recording every talk and quickly uploading it on youtube as it end.

Sounds like a great idea for next year:  pay some bitcoins for this service, rather than complaining about not getting something for free.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:21:32 PM

We need someone recording every talk and quickly uploading it on youtube as it end.

Sounds like a great idea for next year:  pay some bitcoins for this service, rather than complaining about not getting something for free.

"Guys, guys, we need to promote BTC to the public to help it catch on."

"Shut up and pay monies."
greyhawk

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:33:12 PM

Sounds like a great idea for next year:  pay some bitcoins for this service, rather than complaining about not getting something for free.

I hereby nominate greyhawk to document the entirety of next year's conference, for free.

You really wouldn't like the spin on things I would give this.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:35:06 PM

I'm sure uploading a video on youtube cost at least 100$

greyhawk

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:35:37 PM

I hereby nominate greyhawk to document the entirety of next year's conference, for free.

You really wouldn't like the spin on things I would give this.

That's fine, I'm already expecting nothing, since you aren't being paid.

Kinda like TEDtalks, eh?
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:36:35 PM

I've done press for a few different conventions over here.  Unfortunately not sure if I could afford a ticket and acommodations to London if it's held there again but we'll see.  Certainly wouldn't mind doing photos or video for the event but again, it all depends on what's happening.  If it's all out of pocket, I'd probably have to decline.

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:40:32 PM

Probably far more than that, if you include obvious costs external to the youtube upload, like the videographer's time.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
The-Real-Link

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:42:13 PM

Probably far more than that, if you include obvious costs external to the youtube upload, like the videographer's time.

Do it like every other non-profit convention out there.  Press person gets a badge and freedom to cover the events.  Usually press at small events like these cover it for free (even though I'm sure everyone would love to pay them).  

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
greyhawk

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:44:15 PM

Go ahead. Shock me!

You kinky devil.  Embarrassed I thought this was a family friendly forum.
Draino

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:48:49 PM

sorry to kick a horse when it's down, but no live blogging type coverage means bitcoin magazine did something wrong
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:49:27 PM

I'm sure placing your smartphone somewhere and letting it record the talk while you listen to it is very expensive. Or a digital camera, i'm sure someone already have it.

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:58:10 PM

On a side note, with higher coverage, sponsors too get higher coverage
->they would pay more for that.

So, go ask them the money for the cam.  Cheesy

freeminer

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 08:09:41 PM

There were guys from Bitcoin magazine, they took photographs, maybe also recorded video, I dont now. Also there were several cameras that recorded video. So I think that the records of speeches will be available soon.

I also took photographs, but I need some time to process them.
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 08:22:19 PM

I think some of you ppl think about it the wrong way.

It's not about promoting bitcoin towards new people, it is about providing entertainment to the existing community.
The conference is just a way to make some quick coins.
From that point of view there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to go beyond "Pay us for entrance."
They have no message of salvation for potentially new users, they have a message of "pay up" for existing users.
All this grandeur about how it is helping the press coverage of bitcoin is only to make existing users confident enough to cough up the dough.
 Roll Eyes
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 08:42:19 PM

to which Stallman replied "because the state protects the poor from the rich."
Was he then laughed off the stage?

Lol.

Yes, the poor are so well represented in seats of power around the world.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 08:45:26 PM

What is this process of which you speak? Do the speakers need Photoshopping?  Wink

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
freeminer

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 09:07:12 PM

What is this process of which you speak? Do the speakers need Photoshopping?  Wink

At least I need to select the best shots and resize them, but now I'm going to go for a walk through the city, sorry.
The-Real-Link

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 09:22:03 PM

Regardless of press, usually any admission fees for a badge just go to simply paying the hotel for room rental and the basic equipment needed to run these events.  Guests may or may not be paid but I doubt the organizers are lining their pockets with [bit]coin here.

I'm sure media will show up in a few days' time.  People need time to process footage.

BitPay Business Solutions

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 10:47:50 PM

The Conference was well attended by over 300 bitcoin enthusiasts from all over the world!

Unfortunately the Internet connection really sucked, so most people spent the time networking and meeting everyone in person.  The speakers were good, but the networking and meeting other bitcoiners was by far the better use of the time here.

I enjoyed meeting Vladimir and Mihai from Bitcoin Magazine, Josh from Butterfly Labs, Nejc from Bitstamp, Ben From BlockChain.info, Henry and Roni from Bittiraha.fi, James from GLBSE, and many many more.

If you think the conference is all about the organizers or the speakers, you are missing the point completely.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?
minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 11:38:01 PM

The Conference was well attended by over 300 bitcoin enthusiasts from all over the world!

Unfortunately the Internet connection really sucked, so most people spent the time networking and meeting everyone in person.  The speakers were good, but the networking and meeting other bitcoiners was by far the better use of the time here.

I enjoyed meeting Vladimir and Mihai from Bitcoin Magazine, Josh from Butterfly Labs, Nejc from Bitstamp, Ben From BlockChain.info, Henry and Roni from Bittiraha.fi, James from GLBSE, and many many more.

If you think the conference is all about the organizers or the speakers, you are missing the point completely.

I agree completely!
My reason for going was mainly to meet interesting and smart people and to network with fellow bitcoiners and the conference was great for this.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: