Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 05:21:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: "Avalon" ASIC, announcement & pre-order. pre-order over. project started.  (Read 98405 times)
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 07:15:01 PM

I like what I see!

luffy

Activity: 607
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 07:20:40 PM

i guess if a refund is to happen (for any reason) it would be in the currency that has been used (dollar,btc,...etc)? Smiley
ngzhang (OP)

Activity: 592
Merit: 501

We will stand and fight.

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 07:27:58 PM

I will be incredibly excited if I see an order for test equipment from smic with a device name of "avalon" on my desk in the near future, but I am guessing it wont happen.

it will 100% happen if 300 order are filled.  Cheesy

and if you want one on "your" desk, don't forget to order in 2012.9.23

i guess if a refund is to happen (for any reason) it would be in the currency that has been used (dollar,btc,...etc)? Smiley

maybe it's better to use BTCs.
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 08:06:59 PM

ill definitely by one or two Smiley

theasian09

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 08:14:42 PM

I will be incredibly excited if I see an order for test equipment from smic with a device name of "avalon" on my desk in the near future, but I am guessing it wont happen.

it will 100% happen if 300 order are filled.  Cheesy

and if you want one on "your" desk, don't forget to order in 2012.9.23

maybe it's better to use BTCs.

I actually work for a company that makes equipment for testing wafers.  the quantities you're talking about are probably too small to warrant smic ordering any custom equipment from us (1 piece costs about $75,000 usd).
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 08:20:55 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2012, 08:43:33 PM by Transisto

Count me in for one or two, If only for the sake of decentralization.

Edit :  If this thing is to consume 600w, I think we can save almost 80$ for PSU + shipping.   I'd guess, like many miners, I won't have much use for these 80+ Gold PSUs
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 08:45:56 PM

Edit :  If this thing is to consume 600w, I think we can save almost 80$ for PSU + shipping.   I'd guess, like many miners, I won't have much use for these 80+ Gold PSUs

I really think that 600W number was a wild guess. It will be a lot less.
I trust ngzhang to make good technical choices.

intentionally left blank
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 09:04:52 PM

Anyway, Just a reminder that many of us already have a shitload of soon to be retiring PSUs.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1819

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:25:08 PM

i understand your worry about. i think now what i have is only my personal reputation but i ensure Avalon project will much transparent than any other project. during Oct. we will have enough technique details. include documents, accurate specs, etc.

Thank you! I would be happy to find out that I'm wrong now. Please don't think that I want to insult anyone, I just want people make good and weighted decisions.
There are a few hardware developers with a clear good track record here on the bitcointalk forum.
ngzhang is one of them.
Maybe you should read up a bit first ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:25:24 PM

Anyway, Just a reminder that many of us already have a shitload of soon to be retiring PSUs.
Indeed, many of us have monorails 80+ gold units. We'll either flood ebay with them or try to reuse them any way we can :-)

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1819

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:38:45 PM

I agree broadly, mining software allocating 60GH/s of work is not going to be an insignificant load on the CPU that's running the show, particularly if the CPU is just an off the shelf ARM Cortex (imagine a single Cortex running 60GH/s of FPGAs). Avalon could potentially be a pretty power efficient device should this be the case.
You are kidding right ? 60GH/s -> ~15 nonce ranges/s. If the CPU load is anything but a small blip even on a Raspberry Pi, change your miner software.
Well ... I know one person mining with 2 MiniRigs ~51GH/s that uses less than 2% on his CPU.
I'll get the info later about the CPU and the downclock it's running also ...
It's an intel Xeon E31240 running at full clock 3.3GHz using less than 2% total of a single CPU

Now his devices are BFL MiniRigs cards (2 MiniRigs - 37 cards) and those devices require polling so the CPU comparison may not be very similar - i.e. his rig may need more CPU

The actual CPU performance will depend on how the final protocol works.
If, as I suspect, you simply need to ask the device for a reply and wait (and you also get a final completion reply) then the CPU usage will be lower even than the current Icarus hardware.
Also, the pool you use is important, if they support both roll-n-time and high difficulty shares that also makes a difference.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 11:10:35 PM

The BFL singles plug into a computer.  These Avalon devices are stand alone.  A computer is at least 200W probably, right?  My question is how does BFL wattage + computer wattage compare with just the Avalon standalone wattage?
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 11:20:22 PM

I actually work for a company that makes equipment for testing wafers.  the quantities you're talking about are probably too small to warrant smic ordering any custom equipment from us (1 piece costs about $75,000 usd).

Is your company based in China?
CleverMiner

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 12:10:38 AM

The BFL singles plug into a computer.  These Avalon devices are stand alone.  A computer is at least 200W probably, right?  My question is how does BFL wattage + computer wattage compare with just the Avalon standalone wattage?

No computer consume as little as 30watt, think netbook or HTPC.  BFL merely use an usb port and you can add as many as you want with USB hubs. (128)
midnightmagic

Activity: 88
Merit: 37

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 12:21:10 AM

I'm extremely happy to see that you have announced this ASIC device for preorder. Your style of development and openness, and use of open source software, open PCB layouts, and published bitstream source (at least with the Icarus) are inspirations that a great deal of people including myself sincerely appreciate. I believe your approach is one of the most compatible with bitcoin and the philosophy behind it. Thank you for stepping up and joining the ASIC fray. If your historical awesomeness continues, nothing but good things can come from your participation in the marketplace.

After all the strange behaviour elsewhere, I am very relieved you made it out with a new product: your designs are a kind of control-rod moderator in the hype machines of some of your competition.

Water in the desert my good man, water in the desert..
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 12:25:08 AM

very cool stuff

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
jjshabadoo

Activity: 535

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 01:29:24 AM

Good to see nzhang in there.

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:24:18 AM

host PC NOT required
---so there's a controller embedded? it would be upgradeable, right? I hope the final product will support stratum mining protocol.
http://mining.bitcoin.cz/stratum-mining
it's a linux embedded system. which is running cgminer or something like that.
FWIW, BFGMiner already supports the standard ASIC-ready getblocktemplate mining protocol.

theasian09

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 05:29:06 AM

No computer consume as little as 30watt, think netbook or HTPC.  BFL merely use an usb port and you can add as many as you want with USB hubs. (128)

the mk802 while not sure if you want to consider it a computer...but it does have linux builds that run on it.
Net books dont use very much power, the adapters are about 40 watts...take away the lcd and the hard drive and it can definitely go below 30 watts.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 06:59:20 AM

is there a power budget cap for pre-order deisgns?

I ask this because electricity costs are a major factor in Australia...currently I pay AU$0.22kW/hr (about US$0.25kW/hr) so the GH/s : kW/hr is my main assessment tool

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: