Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:22:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  
Author Topic: "Avalon" ASIC, announcement & pre-order. pre-order over. project started.  (Read 98402 times)
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:14:43 PM

It would be nice though if Avalon had the enduser in mind and disallowed transfers of orders to make sure their product ends up in miners' hands and not in scalpers.

I don't believe Avalon ever stated a position on this.

IMO, they should disallow it just because of the administrative overhead.  I want them spending their time making a great product delivered on-time, not dealing with all of the hassle of managing the trading of orders.  I disagree with the opinion that managing this would only amount to a trivial amount of work.

IMO, If a buyer wants to sell their order, they need to manage the entire process, receive the product themselves at their address, and then turn around and ship it to the buyer.  Leave Avalon out of it.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chrcoe01

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 05:56:00 PM

IMO, they should disallow it just because of the administrative overhead.  I want them spending their time making a great product delivered on-time, not dealing with all of the hassle of managing the trading of orders.  I disagree with the opinion that managing this would only amount to a trivial amount of work.

IMO, If a buyer wants to sell their order, they need to manage the entire process, receive the product themselves at their address, and then turn around and ship it to the buyer.  Leave Avalon out of it.

agreed

"You may delay, but time will not, and lost time is never found again." -Benjamin Franklin
FrogBBQ

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:02:18 PM

25 units are still available

Scalping ASIC miners is insane in my opinion, especially Avalon that will most likely be released last (Q1 2013) after BFL and BTCFPGA (Q4 2012).

Anyway, each its own I suppose.

solari

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 07:06:00 PM

19 pieces are avaible now.

Oh that is very tricky.
I registered a few days ago at shop.avalon-asics.com. But there are no asics avaible.

They are avaible at  store.avalon-asics.com now.
There I have to register again.

BlackPrapor

Activity: 628
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 08:50:34 PM

15mins left

You still haven't answered my question about discount. Given that BFL is now 60 GHs like Avalon but they claim to be able to deliver before you.

not quite understand your question.... Means: the price war should continue ?

Well some sort of war must continue, be it price or performance. Welcome to the free market.

yeah, i agree with you. but qualified soldiers should not fire all bullets at one time.  Grin

Speaking of qualification. Since you figured what chips BFL used in fpga Singles, could you roughly estimate what tech process they might be using for asic chips? And I also wonder when are you going to release power consumption stats for Avalon product? Thanks.

There is no place like 127.0.0.1
In blockchain we trust
tripper22

Activity: 188

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 08:57:50 PM

Oh that is very tricky.
I registered a few days ago at shop.avalon-asics.com. But there are no asics avaible.

It's not store.avalon-asics.com or shop.avalon-asics.com, it's store.avalon-asic.com.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:02:58 PM

Oh that is very tricky.

It's not store.avalon-asics.com or shop.avalon-asics.com, it's store.avalon-asic.com.

Now that's a great way to stole a lot of money!
Did anyone fall into it?

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
tripper22

Activity: 188

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:13:39 PM

Oh that is very tricky.

Did anyone fall into it?

That domain does not exist.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:17:05 PM

I gave a bad idea to a community of scammer then.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:22:33 PM

"The Avalon ASIC will outperform, dollar for dollar, the leading competitor by 20Gh/s."
not true anymore Sad 

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/content.php/117-Announcement-BFL-ASIC-Release-specifications

also, the power consumption is pretty low, can Avalon beat that?

And don't forget another one bumps it's speed: the bASIC SHA256 Bitcoin Mining Device - BitcoinASIC.com https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.msg1229735#msg1229735
It sounds to me like BASIC upgraded their physical unit. Great for their customers.

BFL though....as always...seems to be pretty sneaky about what they intended "to do" in the near future.

It sounds to me (personal opinion) from the BFL news release that they intended to sell their customers units that were set up to do 40Gh and then Upsell their customers a firmware upgrade for $$$.

Call me crazy when I think this was the real objective. I think that COMPETITION (namely AVALON and BASIC) forced them to give away this paid ($$$) upgrade "FOR FREE".

Could it just be that they really did underestimate their hardware? Hmm, I think they did it intentionally and the final release would have been 40Gh if Avalon hadn't been there with a 60Gh system. I can't help but think this....
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 10:23:01 PM
Last edit: October 06, 2012, 01:52:51 AM by PuertoLibre

It sounds to me (personal opinion) from the BFL news release that they intended to sell their customers units that were set up to do 40Gh and then Upsell their customers a firmware upgrade for $$$.

Call me crazy when I think this was the real objective. I think that COMPETITION (namely AVALON and BASIC) forced them to give away this paid ($$$) upgrade "FOR FREE".

Sounds awesome to me.  This is how IBM, SUN, and other big iron vendors have offered processor entitlements for ages (although this is now more commonly managed at the software application level now with per-core and per-socket licensing).

Because of demand, later 486SX chips were viable DX chips but had the FPU disabled instead of being binned DX chips.1

Are all these people cheating you too?
That is a philosophical question.

It is a common practice, but one that is often uncovered only by reading obscure literature on a processor. Most consumers do not know this. (Beyond the Server licenses and Admins topics I mean...etc)

What about software where the 'community edition' is open source but the 'enterprise edition' has closed source (or shared source) add-ons?
Another philosophical question. Different people will respond different depending on whom they are in any given situation. (Buyers vs Sellers)

It's a business, and people have to make money.  After the shellacking they took when the FPGAs sucked (sorry, but the fan on the bottom is ghetto :-)) I could see having a margin of 'error'.

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486SX
The margin of error is perfectly fine and reasonable to me.

----------------------

I have been catching up on this thread and noticed that someone mentioned BFL making a delay in their shipments. If that is the case then, I wonder if they are pulling the boxes and flashing the firmware on all the boxes?

Didn't they used to have an 80Gh system? [EDIT: It seems I confused one of Deepbits offers for that of BFL] I thought they had a 40Gh, a 80Gh and a 1Th system. I noticed upon looking at their website just a moment ago that they now only have a 30Gh, a 60Gh and 1.5Th system. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me. Could someone confirm this was the case?
solari

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 10:30:02 PM

Oh that is very tricky.

Did anyone fall into it?

That domain does not exist.

Sorry, that was my mistake. It was one "s" too much.
So I want to say:

Oh that is very tricky.
I registered a few days ago at shop.avalon-asic.com. But there are no asics avaible.

They are avaible at  store.avalon-asic.com now.
optimator

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 11:52:18 PM

Scalping ASIC miners is insane in my opinion, especially Avalon that will most likely be released last (Q1 2013) after BFL and BTCFPGA (Q4 2012).

That's the crux of everyone's decision. Who will get to market first? BFL keeps pushing their delivery date. October... November... Probably December...

I'm banking on Avalon being first(ish) to market. But, as you say... To each his own :-)

Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 12:07:54 AM

I'm pretty sure BFL would rather package dogshiat in a box with a lifetime warranty. They'll claim to be first to market even if it takes 5 rmas to get a half working ASIC.

I went with Avalon because dr zhang actually does what he says and he's very good at taking care of his customers. He knows his shit too. BFL, not so much.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 12:14:33 AM

BFL keeps pushing their delivery date. October... November... Probably December...

I know it's OT for this thread, but can you link to where they announced that they are moving the date?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 03:38:41 AM

Sounds awesome to me.  This is how IBM, SUN, and other big iron vendors have offered processor entitlements for ages (although this is now more commonly managed at the software application level now with per-core and per-socket licensing).

Because of demand, later 486SX chips were viable DX chips but had the FPU disabled instead of being binned DX chips.1

Are all these people cheating you too?
That is a philosophical question.

It is a common practice, but one that is often uncovered only by reading obscure literature on a processor. Most consumers do not know this. (Beyond the Server licenses and Admins topics I mean...etc)

What about software where the 'community edition' is open source but the 'enterprise edition' has closed source (or shared source) add-ons?
Another philosophical question. Different people will respond different depending on whom they are in any given situation. (Buyers vs Sellers)

It's a business, and people have to make money.  After the shellacking they took when the FPGAs sucked (sorry, but the fan on the bottom is ghetto :-)) I could see having a margin of 'error'.

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486SX
The margin of error is perfectly fine and reasonable to me.

----------------------

I have been catching up on this thread and noticed that someone mentioned BFL making a delay in their shipments. If that is the case then, I wonder if they are pulling the boxes and flashing the firmware on all the boxes?

Didn't they used to have an 80Gh system? [EDIT: It seems I confused one of Deepbits offers for that of BFL] I thought they had a 40Gh, a 80Gh and a 1Th system. I noticed upon looking at their website just a moment ago that they now only have a 30Gh, a 60Gh and 1.5Th system. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me. Could someone confirm this was the case?

BFL offers 4.5gh,30gh,60gh & 1.5TH.They just announced the 30gh unit a few days ago & the bump in gh per units from 3.5gh,40gh,1TH  Cool

Click the link in my sig,I don't get a reward for that,just in case you think so..............

Look under :BitForce 'SC' Pre Orders for the info on them.

I personally wish ngzhang all the luck in the world & hope to be getting one or two of his products to spread my money around  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
ShadesOfMarble
Donator

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 08:18:26 AM

Click the link in my sig,I don't get a reward for that,just in case you think so..............
You do get a reward for having this in your sig Wink

Review of the Spondoolies-Tech SP10 „Dawson“ Bitcoin miner (1.4 TH/s)

[22:35] <Vinnie_win> Did anyone get paid yet? | [22:36] <Isokivi> pirate did!
chrcoe01

Activity: 147

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 11:58:05 AM

i think he meant he doesn't get a reward for number of clicks on the link from his sig, but yes he gets a reward for having it in there Cheesy

"You may delay, but time will not, and lost time is never found again." -Benjamin Franklin
Tinua

Activity: 871

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 01:07:45 PM

i think he meant he doesn't get a reward for number of clicks on the link from his sig, but yes he gets a reward for having it in there Cheesy
He only receives compensation, if the lottery hit his starting number!
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 08:54:24 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2012, 07:51:27 AM by Unacceptable

Well,I only win that "lottery" if my post # in the thread comes up.Which is #15 out of 51 posts.

BTW,I didn't win  Sad

Congrats Tinua,on your win,you lucky dog you  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 »
  Print  

Jump to: