Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:52:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox VS Bank bailouts.  (Read 829 times)
BlackSpidy (OP)

Activity: 513
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 03:07:13 AM

I was just thinking of the 2008 bank bailouts, then I thought of the money lost in MtGox. I'm curious what you think. The bank bailouts seem to have cost us (citizens of USA) 21 billion dollars. MtGox lost stole 240 million dollar's worth of bitcoin (valued at $1200 each). Is bitcoin really that much riskier than cash? I would say no.

▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
       ▄▄  ▄███████████████▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄█████████████████████▀█████▄▄
████▀ █████████▀ ▄▄ ▀██████▄ ▄▄▄ ▄████
█████ ▀▀███▀▀ ▄▄████▄ ▀████ ▐███▌ ████
████████▄▄▄███████████▄ ▀██▀ ▀▀▀ ▀████
████████████▀▀█▀ ▀█▀▀███▄ ▀███▄███████
█████████████ ▄███▄ ██████▄ ▀█████████
████████████ ▐█████▌ ███████▄ ▀███████
▀▀▀▀█████████ ▀███▀ ██████████▄ ▀█████
      ▀█████▄▄█▄ ▄█▄▄███████████
        ▀▀██████████████████▀██▀
           ▀▀██████▀███▌▀██▀
               ▀██▀  ▀▀
...REVOLUTIONIZING...
THE REAL ESTATE INDUSTRY

█ ██ ███ █████████████████████████████████ ███ ██ █

▄         ▄▄████▄▄▄
███▄     ▐████████▀
 ██████▄▄█████████
▀████████████████▌
  ███████████████
  ▀████████████▀
   ▄▄████████▀
 ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀

▄██████████████▄
█████████▀▀▀▀███
███████▀     ███
███████   ██████
█████        ███
███████   ██████
███████   ██████
▀██████   █████▀

▄▄▄
        ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄████▀▀▄███
▀▀████▀ ▄██████
    █ ▄███████
     ███▀█████
           ▀█▌

▄
  ▄▄   ██▄▄▄
 ▐██▄▄█████▀▀
█████▀▀ ███
   ███  ▄█████▌
  ▄██████▀██▌
  ▀▀▀██    ██
     ▀▀

▄▄▄ ▄▄▄
          █  ████
      ▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▀
▄█████████████████▄
▀████▌  ███  ██████
  ███████████████▌
   ▀███▄▄▄▄▄████
    ▀▀███████▀▀
█ ██ ███ ████████████████ ███ ██ █
TOKEN SALE ENDS
...ON MAY 15...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 03:13:45 AM

I was just thinking of the 2008 bank bailouts, then I thought of the money lost in MtGox. I'm curious what you think. The bank bailouts seem to have cost us (citizens of USA) 21 billion dollars. MtGox lost stole 240 million dollar's worth of bitcoin (valued at $1200 each). Is bitcoin really that much riskier than cash? I would say no.

the difference is that the "money lost" in the 2008 crisis was caused by centralized banks playing musical chairs. We, the people, could do nothing about it.

The "money lost" in mt. gox was due to idiots keeping their bitcoin on an exchange. We, the people, could do something about it. I.e., be your own bank.

the 2 issues aren't the same though, but if you want to conflate them, go for it.

I just wanted to bash people for keeping their money on centralized exchanges when the whole point of bitcoin is to be your own bank.

BLOWS MY MIND.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
BlackSpidy (OP)

Activity: 513
Merit: 511

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 03:58:05 AM

Oh, yeah. Of course they're both different situations, I just think they're comparable, is all. To over-simplify, both situations were caused by organizations mishandling people's money, and it cost people (the taxpayers of the US / the people that had bitcoins in the exchange) lots of money. But I must recognize that I am highly ignorant on both situations, so thanks for correcting me  Grin

▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
       ▄▄  ▄███████████████▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄█████████████████████▀█████▄▄
████▀ █████████▀ ▄▄ ▀██████▄ ▄▄▄ ▄████
█████ ▀▀███▀▀ ▄▄████▄ ▀████ ▐███▌ ████
████████▄▄▄███████████▄ ▀██▀ ▀▀▀ ▀████
████████████▀▀█▀ ▀█▀▀███▄ ▀███▄███████
█████████████ ▄███▄ ██████▄ ▀█████████
████████████ ▐█████▌ ███████▄ ▀███████
▀▀▀▀█████████ ▀███▀ ██████████▄ ▀█████
      ▀█████▄▄█▄ ▄█▄▄███████████
        ▀▀██████████████████▀██▀
           ▀▀██████▀███▌▀██▀
               ▀██▀  ▀▀
...REVOLUTIONIZING...
THE REAL ESTATE INDUSTRY

█ ██ ███ █████████████████████████████████ ███ ██ █

▄         ▄▄████▄▄▄
███▄     ▐████████▀
 ██████▄▄█████████
▀████████████████▌
  ███████████████
  ▀████████████▀
   ▄▄████████▀
 ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀

▄██████████████▄
█████████▀▀▀▀███
███████▀     ███
███████   ██████
█████        ███
███████   ██████
███████   ██████
▀██████   █████▀

▄▄▄
        ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄████▀▀▄███
▀▀████▀ ▄██████
    █ ▄███████
     ███▀█████
           ▀█▌

▄
  ▄▄   ██▄▄▄
 ▐██▄▄█████▀▀
█████▀▀ ███
   ███  ▄█████▌
  ▄██████▀██▌
  ▀▀▀██    ██
     ▀▀

▄▄▄ ▄▄▄
          █  ████
      ▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄ ▀
▄█████████████████▄
▀████▌  ███  ██████
  ███████████████▌
   ▀███▄▄▄▄▄████
    ▀▀███████▀▀
█ ██ ███ ████████████████ ███ ██ █
TOKEN SALE ENDS
...ON MAY 15...
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 07:11:00 AM

the difference is that the "money lost" in the 2008 crisis was caused by centralized banks playing musical chairs. We, the people, could do nothing about it.

The "money lost" in mt. gox was due to idiots keeping their bitcoin on an exchange. We, the people, could do something about it. I.e., be your own bank.

the 2 issues aren't the same though, but if you want to conflate them, go for it.

I just wanted to bash people for keeping their money on centralized exchanges when the whole point of bitcoin is to be your own bank.

BLOWS MY MIND.

that's actually in favor of bitcoin isn't it?, because in the second example about bitcoin, there was something that could have been done, to prevent that incident

in the second case not so much, because your money aren't in your control totally

so once again decentralization has proven to be better, in the case of a disaster
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 07:24:02 AM

MtGox lost stole 240 million dollar's worth of bitcoin (valued at $1200 each). Is bitcoin really that much riskier than cash? I would say no.

No need to underestimate the Bitcoin losses incurred by the Mt Gox users.

The Gox users lost a total of BTC850,000 in crypto, of which BTC200,000 was later found. At that time, the exchange rate was $575 per coin, which makes the losses worth some $375 million.

Also, the Gox users lost around $55 million worth of fiat cash. So the total losses comes to $430 million.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 07:49:27 AM

When you are comparing banks and bitcoin exchanges, remember one thing; banks will do business as they always did, while exchanges advance preventing another disaster.
Anyways "magic the gathering" was never supposed to be largest exchange that it was forced to be at the time, so when it failed to advance (terribly), it got replaced by better alternatives.
Bitcoin is not that risky when you know how to use it and secure it, but it sure does attract people who exploit those who don't.

cheers
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 07:55:30 AM

The bank bailouts are just theft from the tax payer, we didn't want to bail anyone out at our cost.  Let the banks die and new banks who are competent take their place.  Now we are stuck with the same morons who made mistakes the first time.  No lessons have been learnt its fking BS.  I lost money in gox and it hurts but exchanges have got better as a result.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:03:05 AM

Now we are stuck with the same morons who made mistakes the first time.  No lessons have been learnt its fking BS.

yep, simply who is cause of problem can't be part of solution. from one side, I'm unhappy for all common people loosing their hard earned money, on other side, it is just another impulse for all start leaving traditional banking system..and join us:)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:03:39 AM

I lost money in gox and it hurts but exchanges have got better as a result.

Not only the exchanges, but the users have also become smarter. Not many people store their coins on exchange sites now, and most of them store their coins in offline mode. And at the same time, the exchanges have introduced new security measures, and have decreased the amount of coins which they store in hot-wallets.
dblink

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:52:55 AM

Considering the recent failure of the popular bitcoin exchange Mt.Gox—which caused the loss of almost $500 million—and the dramatic price fluctuations for the currency, it's no wonder people might be afraid of adopting it.

"I think its a big problem for consumers," Lucas said. "If a bank fails you get your money back, or at least part of it, but when Mt. Gox failed, there was nothing there. ... This has to discourage people who don't understand a virtual currency."

Courtesy: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101589145

arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1401

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 12:47:44 PM

remember one thing; banks will do business as they always did, while exchanges advance preventing another disaster.

As a matter of facts this is quite untrue to compare both of this. Banks and exchangers serve a different purposes as banks are meant to "keep your money" ( and use it to lend another people and get interest from it ) but exchangers arent meant to be used as a platform to secure your coins. No matter how secure an exchanger is people still shouldnt be putting their coins there to "secure" it.
Another note, banking system is an old fashioned system that seems couldnt be undergo anymore improvement. These banking system may varies throughout each country however all of them are pretty much the same.

Not only the exchanges, but the users have also become smarter.

Not everyone, traders still loves to store them at exchanger because it is much more convenience that having to move your coins back and forth each day

the exchanges have introduced new security measures

Are you pointing this to multisig? I doubt that many exchangers are using this already

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 02:08:48 PM

MtGox was not bailed out, that is what we want.

In a bailout, all the people, rich or poor, have to give some, and at the same time the money system itself is being destroyed.

You can care about those who lost their money, but we want the market to keep the banks (MtGox viewed as a banke here) in check. Learning the hard way is the only way.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 02:40:42 PM

Are you pointing this to multisig? I doubt that many exchangers are using this already

I was not just referring to multisig. Nowadays, most of the exchanges don't keep large amounts of coins in their hot wallets. This has helped to reduce the loses, when some hacker gains access to their BTC stash. For example, in January 2015, when Bitstamp was hacked, the thief was able to steal some BTC18,977. This amount would have been much higher, had not the Bitstamp guys moved most of their coins to offline storage.
Coinbanker

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

bitcoin supporter

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 03:00:42 PM

Mtgox heist slowed bitcoin revolution for 2 years.  Tongue

Donate: 167TvxJb6zSeyd5C921r5CR9Ht91ioZdQM
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 03:34:51 PM

Yes, but at the same time we need all the problems we can get, to make bitcoin antifragile, and to show that it is.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 04:34:35 PM

Just 2 years? it is more like 20 years. I personally know a few of my friends, who lost their life savings in the Gox fiasco. All of them were early adopters of the crypto-currency, and before the robbery, many were vocal advocates for Bitcoin usage. It was one of these guys who introduced me to Bitcoin in 2012. Everything changed after the robbery. Most of the people who lost their coins are out of the Bitcoin scene. They have become dejected, and feel cheated. None of them want anything to do with BTC now.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 06:42:51 PM

When you are comparing banks and bitcoin exchanges, remember one thing; banks will do business as they always did, while exchanges advance preventing another disaster.
Anyways "magic the gathering" was never supposed to be largest exchange that it was forced to be at the time, so when it failed to advance (terribly), it got replaced by better alternatives.
Bitcoin is not that risky when you know how to use it and secure it, but it sure does attract people who exploit those who don't.

cheers
Besides the fact exchanges arent secure to store BTC long term because you dont own the private keys as long as they are there, MT Gox was the first ever exchange, so it was obvious the first one would suffer from everything possible. As always, that happens when something is mega new, it fails and then gets fixed.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 11:20:07 AM

Besides the fact exchanges arent secure to store BTC long term because you dont own the private keys as long as they are there, MT Gox was the first ever exchange, so it was obvious the first one would suffer from everything possible. As always, that happens when something is mega new, it fails and then gets fixed.

No. Mt Gox was not the first ever Bitcoin exchange. That honor must got to the New Liberty Standard, which was established in 2009. Mt Gox was established almost a year later, on July 17 2010 by Jed McCaleb. And again, everything was going on really well with Mt Gox, until McCaleb sold the exchange to Mark Karpeles in March 2011.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: