Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 06:34:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind version 0.7.0 released  (Read 25324 times)
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 07:19:43 PM

I tried using the Donation link on the bitcoin foundation page, and nothing happened in the bitcoin client. I don't know what the expected behavior is, but I assume it isn't nothing.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 08:29:47 PM

it looks like 0.70 is registering the bitcoin: URI protocol (at least in Windows) but if I already have the bitcoin client running, I get an error.

Same error on my end, when clicking the provided URI to pay the Bitcoin Foundation of all things. (W7 64bit)

In short: When Bitcoin-Qt was not running, the application would launch normally, and then proceed to do... nothing in particular.

(I'm assuming something is meant to happen at this point. It doesn't.)

So, I kill the application and click the link again. Same result. With mild annoyance, I repeat this a this a few times over.

I try to find some way to manually paste the link. (Because that sounds like something one should be able to do.) No luck there either.

At which point I give up and extract the address from the URI (no plaintext address was provided)

After conceding defeat, I finally manage to paste the address, smack a label on it, add the specified amount and
do the transaction by hand, while trembling and cursing in terrible anger. Wink
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 05:42:45 AM
Last edit: September 28, 2012, 06:46:30 AM by John Smith

If the registration doesn't work, you can also drag&drop a bitcoin: URI to the running client (this was the original mechanism).

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Diapolo

Activity: 769
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 06:37:38 AM

Can you guys please tell me, if you did an upgrade install or removed the old version before installing 0.7?
Another interesting thing would be how the Bitcoin URI entry in your registry looks like.

Enter regedit and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bitcoin\shell\open\command for that info.

Oh and please verify that you are using latest 0.7 release and no former RC!

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 10:53:02 AM

Can you guys please tell me, if you did an upgrade install or removed the old version before installing 0.7?
Another interesting thing would be how the Bitcoin URI entry in your registry looks like.

Enter regedit and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\bitcoin\shell\open\command for that info.

Dia

I installed over the RC versions.

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" "$1"

The drag and drop method works.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Diapolo

Activity: 769

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 11:08:16 AM

Dia

Code:

Can you please change
Code:
into
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin-qt.exe" "%1"
and report back!

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
Mattster28

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 11:38:11 PM

Seam's to take forever for confirmation's now. 32 confirmation's for a Tx done 3 hour's ago. Took a long time just to get 1(about 20 min or so) is this normal for this version?
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 12:18:30 AM

Seam's to take forever for confirmation's now. 32 confirmation's for a Tx done 3 hour's ago. Took a long time just to get 1(about 20 min or so) is this normal for this version?

The timing of each confirmation is dependent on the network, not your client version.

Sometimes blocks are confirmed more slowly, sometimes blocks are confirmed more rapidly.

It is only the targetted average that is 10 minutes per confirmation.  This is a target that the network is always striving for, but -- due to probability -- never attains.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Mattster28

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 12:45:21 AM

^^ Thank's for the info.
LightRider
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 05:47:06 AM

Dia

Code:

Can you please change
Code:
into
Code:
and report back!

Dia

Of course! The symbol switching did the job. Thanks.

However, the text in the comment is "bitcoin+foundation+donation". I don't know if the '+' symbols are supposed to be rendered like that.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:09:15 PM

However, the text in the comment is "bitcoin+foundation+donation". I don't know if the '+' symbols are supposed to be rendered like that.
That's a problem in the website, not the client. %20 should be used to encode spaces in URIs, not "+":
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2678551/when-to-encode-space-to-plus-and-when-to-20

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:29:38 PM

Can you please change
Code:
into
Code:
and report back!

Changed the "$1" part of the registry value to "%1". Works fine now.

I believe I upgraded to 0.7 from 0.6.2. Possibly from 0.6.3. (Not from an RC version.)

Would forcing the registry value to "%1" during installation break anything?

Thanks for the help. Smiley
Gavin Andresen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2217

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 04:42:35 PM

That's a problem in the website, not the client. %20 should be used to encode spaces in URIs, not "+":
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2678551/when-to-encode-space-to-plus-and-when-to-20

Huh.

That's a problem with BIP 20-- it doesn't say how the parameters are encoded.  I assumed they were encoded the same way as http URLs (application/x-www-form-encoded) because the bitcoin: scheme is very similar to the http scheme (where everything after the ? is x-www-form-encoded); are they not?

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?

Activity: 756

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 06:36:07 PM

This client opens much slower for me

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
Stapleddiet

Activity: 89
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 21, 2012, 11:36:26 AM

As asked for in another thread, info even small from users who are using a client.
Running 0.7.0 on Win7 64 no problems, not turning the client on much though due to having mobile connection and saving my download limits. I never wanted to comment in these threads much because my tech knowledge is very limited even though I can piece them together hardware wise.
I will put my its running ok or not up from now on.
Thanks for all the hard work as well dev team.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: