Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:46:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NASA is developing warp drives..  (Read 1504 times)
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 03:54:16 AM

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/17/nasa-developing-warp-drive/

Im amazed at how many things we now take for granted were imagined by the creators of star trek. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 03:57:45 AM

Read centauri-dreams.org regularly to really understand what's going on. Dig deep into the back articles.
FirstAscent

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 02:57:39 AM

And sure enough, the latest blog entry from centauri-dreams.org discusses the warp drive work: http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=24665

And the NASA paper on the laboratory experiment: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20110023492_2011024705.pdf

EDIT: And I'd like to point out that centauri-dreams.org is the furthest thing in the world from a tinfoil hat site. It's responsible journalism on the subject of space travel. Great blog.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 03:04:47 AM

I love star trek!

7 of 9... assimilate me!

Cheesy

FirstAscent

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 03:13:15 AM

I love star trek!

Not to put a damper on Star Trek, but consider: You step into the transporter to be beamed down to the planet. Your body is scanned, and you are reconstructed, particle for particle down on the planet's surface. You're now down there, complete, with synaptic connections in your brain exactly as you were ship side, your identity and memories in tact. All is well.

Except the transporter failed to vaporize you ship side. The transporter technician sheepishly approaches you, guiding you off to the side, muttering some technical jargon about particle to energy converters failing, herding you into a rarely used compartment with the auspicious title on the panel next to the door: "Reserve particle to energy converter".

But in all honesty, the Alcubierre drive is far more interesting than a television show.
FirstAscent

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 05:07:47 AM

Interesting paper.
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 07:36:55 AM

My mind is blown.

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 09:21:56 AM

Except the transporter failed to vaporize you ship side. The transporter technician sheepishly approaches you, guiding you off to the side, muttering some technical jargon about particle to energy converters failing, herding you into a rarely used compartment with the auspicious title on the panel next to the door: "Reserve particle to energy converter".
Nonsense. Transporter operators have much higher ethical standards than that. Nobody vaporised the duplicate Riker created by accident when a second transporter beam was activated when the first one became dangerously unstable, then the transporter operator forgot to deactivate the first beam, causing the poor guy to be rematerialised twice. Both Rikers were allowed to go on with their lives, though no record is made of society's reaction to the news that transporter operators can duplicate people just by pressing a button. (Probably because, due to the aforementioned ethical standards, transporter operators would never duplicate people deliberately. Oh, no. That absolutely never happens, right? Right?)

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 09:37:33 AM

Im amazed at how many things we now take for granted were imagined by the creators of star trek. 

We're actually WAY ahead of the star trek universe when it comes to technology. Communicators? Smart  phones kick their ass. Data storage? Star trek had floppy disk looking things and they had to put two or three in. Better computers are already here.

Now, what I really want is transporter technolgy. the TSA can eat a bag of dicks when I get my own personal transporter.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 09:40:40 AM

Nonsense. Transporter operators have much higher ethical standards than that. Nobody vaporised the duplicate Riker created by accident when a second transporter beam was activated when the first one became dangerously unstable, then the transporter operator forgot to deactivate the first beam, causing the poor guy to be rematerialised twice. Both Rikers were allowed to go on with their lives, though no record is made of society's reaction to the news that transporter operators can duplicate people just by pressing a button. (Probably because, due to the aforementioned ethical standards, transporter operators would never duplicate people deliberately. Oh, no. That absolutely never happens, right? Right?)

OMG Ben Bernanke has a money transporter!

Bitcoin Oz (OP)

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 09:41:45 AM

We're actually WAY ahead of the star trek universe when it comes to technology. Communicators? Smart  phones kick their ass. Data storage? Star trek had floppy disk looking things and they had to put two or three in. Better computers are already here.

Now, what I really want is transporter technolgy. the TSA can eat a bag of dicks when I get my own personal transporter.

I cant wait for the replicator to get here. All that land we use for crops can be converted to growing trees  Smiley

FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 09:46:09 AM

We're actually WAY ahead of the star trek universe when it comes to technology.

I cant wait for the replicator to get here. All that land we use for crops can be converted to growing trees  Smiley

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091110071535.htm

We're getting close Smiley

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
lumos

Activity: 157
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 09:52:11 AM

they are actually investigating microscopic wormholes and seeing how they can be amplified to create macroscopic wormholes. http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.4017

Q. Sonny, I don’t understand how you get macroscopic warps with small amounts of energy. It seems the coupling of mass/energy to spacetime curvature, the factor G/c^4 in the Einstein equations, governs how much mass is necessary to warp spacetime on a given lengthscale. How do the optimization procedures you mention alter this basic scaling? It seems you are saying you have found a way to reduce the effective G/c^4.

A. To echo your observation, yes spacetime is really stiff. The findings suggest that if you oscillate the warp bubble, you can reduce this stiffness, and hence the energy required. I will explain this connection in the upcoming paper.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 12:30:02 PM

Son, you realize you're quoting yourself, now? That's less sane than usual.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 05:27:06 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2012, 05:29:35 AM by FirstAscent

Perfectly sane. Consider, in conversation: one might say, "remember that paper I mentioned? I read it. It was interesting." Clear and concise utilization of forum quoting mechanics. As for you, have you watched one of those films yet?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 12:23:52 AM

Perfectly sane. Consider, in conversation: one might say, "remember that paper I mentioned? I read it. It was interesting." Clear and concise utilization of forum quoting mechanics.

The forum also lets you edit previous posts. The same effect could have been achieved by editing your post and adding "Edit: Interesting paper." As a bonus, that doesn't add a post that adds nothing to the discussion, nor does it make you look as though you're responding to yourself.

It is an interesting paper, though.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 03:41:47 AM

Perfectly sane. Consider, in conversation: one might say, "remember that paper I mentioned? I read it. It was interesting." Clear and concise utilization of forum quoting mechanics.

The forum also lets you edit previous posts. The same effect could have been achieved by editing your post and adding "Edit: Interesting paper." As a bonus, that doesn't add a post that adds nothing to the discussion, nor does it make you look as though you're responding to yourself.

It is an interesting paper, though.

Existing followers of threads do not go back and reread preexisting posts. Just like any conversation or dialog, new information is presented in linear form. My new post was 100 percent the proper way to present new information I had. You are wrong.

Isn't it ironic that all of your contributions to this thread are not relevant at all. At least I have provided some interesting links. But you've forced me to defend my actions also, further cluttering up the thread. I think you're just upset I haven't been posting in the Politics forum, and you feel starved for attention, and thus have resorted to stalking me here. I suggest you go watch a movie. Here's some suggestions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=109868.0
myrkul

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 03:56:25 AM

Existing followers of threads do not go back and reread preexisting posts. Just like any conversation or dialog, new information is presented in linear form. My new post was 100 percent the proper way to present new information I had. You are wrong.

Which would be 100% true, if it were actually new info. As it was, you looked like an idiot. As usual. Your inability to let a subject drop is what is cluttering up this thread, along with your habitual double-posting and now, self-quoting. All the second post did is reveal that you had not read the paper before recommending it. Why would someone recommend something they haven't even read? Your credibility as an opinion source has slipped another notch, further ensuring I will not pick up the books or the movies you suggest.

FirstAscent

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 04:43:21 AM

Which would be 100% true, if it were actually new info. As it was, you looked like an idiot. As usual. Your inability to let a subject drop is what is cluttering up this thread, along with your habitual double-posting and now, self-quoting. All the second post did is reveal that you had not read the paper before recommending it. Why would someone recommend something they haven't even read? Your credibility as an opinion source has slipped another notch, further ensuring I will not pick up the books or the movies you suggest.

Fucking retard. Go away unless you have something to contribute to this thread.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 04:46:48 AM

Fucking retard.

Yes, but enough about yourself. You were saying something about contributing to the thread?  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: