Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:16:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how beatable is this market?  (Read 1816 times)
Xiaoxiao (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 09:47:40 AM

I need help because I am considering trading as a source of income as you all well know, the job market is not good right now.  Any sincere help would be greatly appreciated.  I have been studying diligently but I dont know what is a winning formula.

For example, is this market better than the currency market?  Do you advise against trading by "instinct"?

I hope to become someone's protege in day trading, and maybe take my knowledge to the exchange some day.  I hope fellow day traders can help each other out.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 12:36:04 PM

1. Don't bet more than you can lose
2. nothing is certain
3. someone else is smarter than you, and has already thought of what you are doing

Xiaoxiao (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

The Golden Rule Rules

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 12:58:36 PM

2. nothing is certain
3. someone else is smarter than you, and has already thought of what you are doing

good points, does this mean i should give up?
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 01:42:07 PM

currency trading when the exchange take a 0.69% commission of every trade is a recipre for going broke fast. Money is the most liquid asset in the world by definition. The Forex for example charges a lower commission and 100X margin. Yes, I know that's really not possible with the volatility of BTC (due to small market cap), but that's just another reason why it's a losing bet- so far. If Mt. Gox improves (lowers comissions, expidites trades, allows puts and margin, etc), OR if another echange opens up that is better, it might MIGHT be possible for you to profit on trading. I hope it will be.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:27:30 PM

One makes money trading because somebody else is willing to take a bad deal.  This happens because they are motivated (need to do the trade for outside reasons), don't have all the information you do, have the information but have come to bad conclusions, or are just dumb and not thinking.  Bitcoins are currently used by "geeks" aka smart people.  Thus, you are unlikely to find trades that are good for you.  Trades you THINK are good are probably going to end up bad or breakeven for you, and the other guy simply has more information than you do.

When I first started in bitcoin, I traded bitcoins for paypal at an amazing rate and thought I'd made out like a bandit.  Then I realized that the guy I'd done business with had extra information that I didn't, ie the fact that Paypal allows chargebacks.

Still, trading will be profitable in the forseeable future, but not because the trading itself is profitable, but because bitcoins are going up in value.  If you're playing a +EV game, it doesn't matter how you structure the betting.

IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 10:33:17 AM

Trading is a risky business. This is true for the established markets, but it's even more true for the highly volatile Bitcoin market.
Trading is not a one-way street. The majority of traders loses money.

From my point of view you should give up the trading idea! Maybe it's better to buy and hold Bitcoins, but this also is very risky.

I would only invest money that's not needed into Bitcoins.
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 04:50:43 PM

2. nothing is certain

good points, does this mean i should give up?

No it does not, as long as you only bet what you can afford to lose, and then set out your goals beforehand (When will I sell if it goes down, when will I sell if it goes up?) you should be fine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: