Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:04:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin cannot be filled with Tungsten  (Read 8596 times)
BitPay Business Solutions (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 02:48:36 AM

to all the goldbugs out there, beware!

Tungsten-Filled 10 Oz Gold Bar Found In The Middle Of Manhattan's Jewelry District

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/tungsten-filled-10-oz-gold-bar-found-middle-manhattans-jewelry-district

What makes so devious is a real gold bar is purchased with the serial numbers and papers, then it is hollowed out, the gold is sold, the tungsten is put in, then the bar is closed up. That is a sophisticated operation.

MTB, the Swiss manufacturer of the gold bars, said customers should only buy from a reputable merchant. The problem, he admits, is Ibrahim Fadl is a very reputable merchant.

BitPay : The World Leader in Bitcoin Business Solutions

https://bitpay.com

Does your website accept bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 02:54:53 AM

Bad news: I just checked one of my Bitcoins. I opened it up, and inside I actually found a LiteCoin!!!  This is a serious problem. I'm worried if I check my other Bitcoins the same thing will happen :/  Should I tell Gavin?
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 02:58:10 AM

Bad news: I just checked one of my Bitcoins. I opened it up, and inside I actually found a LiteCoin!!!  This is a serious problem. I'm worried if I check my other Bitcoins the same thing will happen :/  Should I tell Gavin?

Hey, it could be worse. You could have gotten a bunch of Microcash.
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 02:58:54 AM

Hey, it could be worse. You could have gotten a bunch of Microcrash.

FTFY

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 03:04:41 AM

shit

they must have salted it with some folded proteins to make up the difficulty

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 03:25:46 AM

This is actually more wide spread than you think, I know lots of Chinese factories are producing
these tungsten filled "gold bars" that is flooding the market. Most of the time even the merchant would not
know, since it's difficult to know unless you destroy the bar and reveal what's inside. I think at least
20% of gold bars on the market right now, are tungsten filled.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 03:33:04 AM

Lucky you. I hurried to test my Bitcoins .. opened them .. and found that they are inside made of just some random ASCII letters! Damn!

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 03:43:40 AM

I found chocolate in mine... at least it wasn't a complete waste.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
evoorhees
Legendary

Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 03:46:50 AM

I found chocolate in mine... at least it wasn't a complete waste.

LOL chocolate would be better than tungsten... that's kinda funny Smiley
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 03:50:26 AM

ITT we find out the US seized everyones gold and has now cornered the market on tungsten  Grin

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 04:02:14 AM

I think at least 20% of gold bars on the market right now, are tungsten filled.

I'm going long on tungsten tomorrow.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2012, 04:02:57 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2012, 04:32:11 AM by phillipsjk

I was wondering why Tungsten and not Lead (which has a higher atomic number than Gold):
Quote from: Wikipedia
Also remarkable is its high density of 19.3 times that of water, comparable to that of uranium and gold, and much higher (about 1.7 times) than that of lead.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungsten

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 04:05:13 AM

I was wondering why Tungsten and not Lead (which has a higher atomic number than Gold):
Quote from: Wikipedia
Also remarkable is its high density of 19.3 times that of water, comparable to that of uranium and gold, and much higher (about 1.7 times) than that of lead.
-

specific gravity

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 05:30:19 AM

The funny part is that these polished, stamped, numbered bars tend to fetch a premium over the spot price.  This makes them easy targets, since the owners would be less likely to perform any type of destructive testing on them.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 05:43:33 AM

Can't these bars be tested electrically? Pump enough current through, and the performance characteristics of a solid gold bar should be sufficiently different from a gold-plated tungsten bar... Or would the current have to be high enough that you'd just melt part of the bar, thereby not solving the non-destructive test problem?

Meh. Seems like there's a business selling reliable non-destructive gold-bar test equipment somewhere in here... 

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 06:04:21 AM

Can't these bars be tested electrically? Pump enough current through, and the performance characteristics of a solid gold bar should be sufficiently different from a gold-plated tungsten bar... Or would the current have to be high enough that you'd just melt part of the bar, thereby not solving the non-destructive test problem?

Meh. Seems like there's a business selling reliable non-destructive gold-bar test equipment somewhere in here... 

You'd be quite right in suggesting that the conductivity characteristics would change, tungsten has resistivity of 5.60e−8 Ω⋅m (at 20C) where gold has resistivity of 2.44e-8 Ω⋅m. You're also right in suggesting that you'd need quite some amperage to measure anything more than surface conductivity, which would be unchanged since the shell is still gold.

There are other characteristics that would probably be more useful - the speed of sound through tungsten differs from the speed of sound through gold, so an ultrasound could be used. Electrical conductivity could also be used in the form of eddy currents, introduced inductively, since they have more penetrating power than just passing current through the bar.
Detritus

Activity: 295
Merit: 98

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 06:56:00 AM

Ultrasound would probably work. you could see the boundary layer between the gold and tungsten.
Jan
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 07:01:41 AM

Use ultra sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FvM_4B7Pkc

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 09:00:19 AM

The funny part is that these polished, stamped, numbered bars tend to fetch a premium over the spot price.  This makes them easy targets, since the owners would be less likely to perform any type of destructive testing on them.

We have that same risk with physical bitcoins.    I hated to peel a 25 BTC coin I had purchased as it holds a premium over the 25 BTC it protected by the hologram.  But I did eventually for two reasons, one -- I wanted to be able to confirm first-hand that the code underneath was truly valid -- funded and matched the code on the outside of the coin.  The second reason is because I'ld nearly lost it several times showing it around (as a prop whenever I'm describing Bitcoin to someone in-person.)  At least now, fully spent, I'm only losing a few dollars worth of value if it gets lost.

Here's the tungsten incident from earlier this year:

Bitcoin, 100% Pure w/No Tungsten - Miners Make Sure Of It

- http://www.bitcoinminer.com/post/19914661084

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 10:06:50 AM

We have that same risk with physical bitcoins. 

there are no physical bitcoins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: