Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:18:16 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin cannot be filled with Tungsten  (Read 8599 times)
fourd00rgtz

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 02:39:42 AM

hmm, I would hope the much cheaper price of silver vs gold would keep people from trying to scam silver like this.

Then again with the less valuable nature perhaps testing is even less common practice.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 03:54:46 AM

Makes you wonder how much paper certificates for gold or gold in vaults (eg. goldmoney) is actually fake. No one would ever know until it was checked.

Jim Sinclair may believe no one cons these guys but who says they got conned. Maybe they paid less for the fake bars and are part of the con. Plausible deniability. Even if some percent was discovered to be fake now there would be no proof the bars weren't tampered with after purchase.

Bitcoin doesn't suffer from all these problems. It has some of it's own but at least the math is math.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 03:58:20 AM

Someone needs to accept this challenge, fire up Vanitygen, and generate a bunch of 1tungsten addresses to fill Bitcoin with!
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 03:21:11 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2012, 03:36:02 PM by barbarousrelic

First dip gold in water to find the amount of displacement.  
as written above, this is pretty hard.

second, and as an additional point why this doesn't work: you can mix the tungsten with small amounts of some other very cheap element to get the exact density of gold. then, both parts (pure gold, and the tungsten+something mix) have exactly the same density.

Heh.  No.

no he's right. you could toss a little platinum in there to offset the weight to have a net equivalent density of gold in the same volume.

in the end you'd really have to go to more complex testing eg ultrasound or conductivity
Platinum? Let's keep things cheap while we're ripping people off. A proper ratio mixture of lead and tungsten could have the exact density of gold.

Show work please, then apologize.

According to my back of the napkin calculation, you'd only need to add 1.5% platinum to tungsten by volume to get the same density as gold. That would be a pretty minimal expense.

You are right. My apologies. Tungsten is .25% lighter than gold, not heavier, and so whatever you mix with tungsten to get the density of gold would have to be denser than gold, not lighter. Platinum would be the cheapest and most obtainable thing to use to mix with tungsten to match gold's density.

19.25W + 21.45P = 19.3 where W is cubic centimeters of tungsten and P is ccs of platinum.

W+P = 1 where we're looking for 1 cc

Solving these two equations gives us P = .02272727. .  ccs of platinum and W = .97727 ccs of tungsten

So, if you're having 1 cc of this fake gold, it would be made up of .97727 ccs of tungsten with a mass of 18.8125g, and .02272727ccs of platinum with a mass of .4875g.

18.8125+.4875 = 19.30, exactly what one cc of gold would weigh.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 03:28:17 PM

Heh.  No.
ah, well, in my head, i mixed their order, ... but basically i'm still right.
also, instead of platinum, you can use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmium#Price (or iridium, maybe)

That's possible, but iridium market is so small and the annual production is so tiny, for any mass production purpose, it would push iridium price sky high in a short time, plus it will will draw much suspicion to the big iridium buyer. Platinum is the best choice.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
totaleclipseofthebank

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 07:16:28 PM

Heh.  No.
ah, well, in my head, i mixed their order, ... but basically i'm still right.
also, instead of platinum, you can use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmium#Price (or iridium, maybe)

That's possible, but iridium market is so small and the annual production is so tiny, for any mass production purpose, it would push iridium price sky high in a short time, plus it will will draw much suspicion to the big iridium buyer. Platinum is the best choice.

Right, so when is someone going to IPO a fake gold-bars for bitcoins company? Looks like some fat profits to be had!

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 10:48:20 PM

Makes you wonder how much paper certificates for gold or gold in vaults (eg. goldmoney) is actually fake. No one would ever know until it was checked.

Jim Sinclair may believe no one cons these guys but who says they got conned. Maybe they paid less for the fake bars and are part of the con. Plausible deniability. Even if some percent was discovered to be fake now there would be no proof the bars weren't tampered with after purchase.

Bitcoin doesn't suffer from all these problems. It has some of it's own but at least the math is math.

Not really an issue with GoldMoney because they ultrasound test every bar before it goes into the vault. Any abnormalities get melted down and recast. Any tungsten and they get indemnified by the previous holder in the LBMA chain of custody.

But I do agree that verifying the quantity and quality of bitcoins is able to be done with much greater efficiency and cost effectiveness (only a few seconds of time).

Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 11:02:03 PM

btw, how do we know this wasn't a manufacturing accident and a bunch of people got incandescent light bulbs with gold coils?  Grin
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 06:18:36 PM

btw, how do we know this wasn't a manufacturing accident and a bunch of people got incandescent light bulbs with gold coils?  Grin

I assume you are joking, but there are two obvious indications it is a deliberate scam:
  • The colour is all wrong. As is the hardness. People on the manufacturing floor would catch such an error.
  • Making a brick out of composite materials instead of a single material takes at least one more pour. You can't do that by accident.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 06:30:11 PM

I assume you are joking, but there are two obvious indications it is a deliberate scam:
  • The colour is all wrong. As is the hardness. People on the manufacturing floor would catch such an error.
  • Making a brick out of composite materials instead of a single material takes at least one more pour. You can't do that by accident.

Plus, gold wire bulb would not work, the wire would melt almost immediately. But, good joke.

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 06:38:07 PM

My guess would be vaporize: gold has less resistance, implying higher start-up current.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:00:08 AM

Maybe Tungsten should become the official metal of physical bitcoins.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Desolator

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:27:34 AM

But tungsten melts at like 130 Fahrenheit or something and my GPU melts at like 195 Fahrenheit.  That'd be a significant downgrade.  Although, my hard drive that contains my live wallet copy probably fails at a lower operating temperature Tongue

It should be bronze so we can both throw it at someone for significant damage if they make fun of bitcoins and also get like $4 a pound USD at a scrap place if anything happens to the BTC system, rofl.

P.S. the gold would so work!  It wouldn't emit light but it's such a great conductor, I doubt it would melt because so much current can pass through it with so little resistance that produces heat.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:28:49 AM

But tungsten melts at like 130 Fahrenheit or something and my GPU melts at like 195 Fahrenheit.  That'd be a significant downgrade.  Although, my hard drive that contains my live wallet copy probably fails at a lower operating temperature Tongue

It should be bronze so we can both throw it at someone for significant damage if they make fun of bitcoins and also get like $4 a pound USD at a scrap place if anything happens to the BTC system, rofl.
Tungsten melting point 6,191° F (3,422° C)

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Desolator

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:34:49 AM

But tungsten melts at like 130 Fahrenheit or something and my GPU melts at like 195 Fahrenheit.  That'd be a significant downgrade.  Although, my hard drive that contains my live wallet copy probably fails at a lower operating temperature Tongue

waaaaaait, then how do fake psychics do that bullshit spoon bending thing just by rubbing their fingers on the neck of the spoon to make it bend from slight friction heat?  I'm 99% sure those are tungsten spoons and that's kinda the trick that they're not steel.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:37:29 AM

waaaaaait, then how do fake psychics do that bullshit spoon bending thing just by rubbing their fingers on the neck of the spoon to make it bend from slight friction heat?  I'm 99% sure those are tungsten spoons and that's kinda the trick that they're not steel.
Ah ok, I thought maybe you were overclocking your GPU kinda high to melt tungsten.

Desolator

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:39:39 AM

Ugh, I kid you not, there's a wikipedia article on spoon bending and non mention what metal is used (except a possible reference to a titantium nickel alloy of some sort but that doesn't sound right.) I must be mistaken.  Googling "tungsten spoon bending" seems to indicate that, lol.

P.S. my GPU runs on self-sustaining nuclear fusion in a magnetic containment area inside the heatsink so yeah, it melts tungsten lol Tongue
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:17:12 PM

Now you have to worry about coins:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-09-24/get-your-fake-tungsten-filled-gold-coins-here
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:29:14 PM

Man this gives me a lot of anxiety because I plan to buy back some bullion in the near future. How the hell can I unsure, without wasting a lot of money, that what I buy will be real?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:52:25 PM

Man this gives me a lot of anxiety because I plan to buy back some bullion in the near future. How the hell can I unsure, without wasting a lot of money, that what I buy will be real?

Run one through a bandsaw.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: