Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:13:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin cannot be filled with Tungsten  (Read 8596 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 02:21:41 AM

Now I'm wondering about fake silver.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 02:24:22 AM

Man this gives me a lot of anxiety because I plan to buy back some bullion in the near future. How the hell can I unsure, without wasting a lot of money, that what I buy will be real?

Buy an ultrasound machine like the ones that dealers have, that's the only way to be sure. Otherwise, you can never be sure.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 03:24:40 AM

this si why I only get my gold from gold vending machines Tongue

http://www.zurichgoldtrader.com/gold-vending-machine-opens-in-abu-dhabi-hotel/
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 08:21:31 AM

...and both of you are right to be worried:
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=silver+coins
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 02:02:42 PM

Best ad of the bunch: 

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/233194135/silver_coin.html

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 05:04:03 PM

Someone actually attempted to sell me a fake silver morgan. Luckily I check all coins before I purchase. The coin was incredibly realistic. It was scary, especially since silver was only around $15.00 an oz. I wondered how is this remotely cost effective?? Then I did a bit of research and you could actually buy the fake coins for roughly $1.50 a coin, so yah it was actually incredibly profitable for the original scammer.

robbonz

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 11:20:33 PM

This reminds me of the guy who bought a UPS on trademe and wondered why it wasnt working. When he opened it up, there was a brick inside instead of a battery

http://www.popgive.com/2008/07/dont-buy-ups-without-warranty.html
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 11:45:07 PM

This reminds me of the guy who bought a UPS on trademe and wondered why it wasnt working. When he opened it up, there was a brick inside instead of a battery

http://www.popgive.com/2008/07/dont-buy-ups-without-warranty.html

Haha wow, the lengths people will go to make a dishonest buck. Sad.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 12:54:16 AM

so i have access to an US that i'd like to use to scan my gold coins for integrity.  i was wondering if any of you guys know the velocity settings.  i captured this image off the Goldmoney video but see 2 different velocity settings that are quite far apart.  what do they mean and which one is the appropriate one?

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 04:03:51 AM

so i have access to an US that i'd like to use to scan my gold coins for integrity.  i was wondering if any of you guys know the velocity settings.  i captured this image off the Goldmoney video but see 2 different velocity settings that are quite far apart.  what do they mean and which one is the appropriate one?

The screen shows Velocity L and Velocity S.  If I had to guess, I'd say Velocity L and Velocity S

Also, my understanding of waves in general suggests that one or more of those isn't a setting, but a measured parameter.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 06:53:03 AM

Sound wave velocity in tungsten is almost the double that of the gold, I don't know which kind of equipment is needed to measure them, but the difference is so relevant that I suppose it should be quite easy to spot.

Also, if suddendly a relevant percentage of gold held by bullions would be found false I suppose that would spike the gold price by quite a lot, since the real gold in circulation would be less that what was thought.

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
that1guy

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 10:26:09 AM
Last edit: September 26, 2012, 10:37:49 AM by that1guy

@ guy who wanted to use ultrasound to test metal (or anyone w/o access to $100k+ equipment:
you might be interested in this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T8fdshyEek

and this (by the people who uploaded the youtube video):
http://about.ag/UltrasonicThicknessGauge.htm
mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 11:07:16 AM

So I'd like to ask the OP what it was that made him suspicious enough to risk cutting open a perfectly good bar? How did he know because I am not sure I would have been sure enough?

Next I would like to say that I am pretty sure that it would be quite a simple matter to measure the difference between filled and solid gold bars based on resistivity which would be a simple measurement to make in practice.

There are two key principles here - use a 4 terminal measuring device I would suggest that wooden or plastic block with contacts on the side and ends, could be used where the wooden block has an indentaion to match the exact size of gold bar. The principle of a 4 terminal resistance is that 2 terminals are used to inject a test current and 2 terminals used to read the voltage generated by this current. This cuts out completely voltage generated by poor contacts or leads.

Its not necessary to use a particularly large current - modern amplifiers are capable of accurately measuring very small offset voltages, and you are measuring a true differential voltage here that makes it a lot easier.

The last 'trick' which would add a little to the cost of what I have so far described a very simple cheap instrument, would be if it did in fact turn out to be too difficult to measure the offset voltage accurately due to offset noise in the amplifier. In this case you instead use an alternating current to perform the measurement and a synchronous decode to accurately measure the offset voltage. Such a decoder will reject all other frequencies including DC so that you only have the signal you want. I dont think this would be required, but it could be.

I can see that provided that you were happy to have an instrument that effectively only measured one size of gold bar, it would be very easy to devlop such an instrument. How could it be made more general purpose (to cater for many different sizes?). Not sure. To compare the same sized gold bar, its essential to have the contacts in the same place.

Indeed perhaps the hardest part (really) is that if I did this you'd have to loan me a few genuine bars to calibrate it! (As well as the fake!)

If there IS anyone who wants such an instrument I do actually have relevant experience to develop such a thing and am looking for work right now. Please PM me. It wont be cheap for a 1-off instrument, but it WILL work (I'd do a better feasibility study first. and it could save you a small fortune!! ) It would also be pretty interesting in that I have never heard of such an instrument but am pretty sure I could make one.

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 03:12:01 PM

Drop the coins on a table and listen to the ringing sound. Tungsten should sound different. Also, I am 90% certain you can't press tungsten the way that gold coins are minted. It's very brittle and hard. So the fine details on these coins are probably going to look different than on real minted coins.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has seen these coins in person. I have my doubts.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 11:43:23 AM

uhhhh, skin effect?

So I'd like to ask the OP what it was that made him suspicious enough to risk cutting open a perfectly good bar? How did he know because I am not sure I would have been sure enough?

Next I would like to say that I am pretty sure that it would be quite a simple matter to measure the difference between filled and solid gold bars based on resistivity which would be a simple measurement to make in practice.

There are two key principles here - use a 4 terminal measuring device I would suggest that wooden or plastic block with contacts on the side and ends, could be used where the wooden block has an indentaion to match the exact size of gold bar. The principle of a 4 terminal resistance is that 2 terminals are used to inject a test current and 2 terminals used to read the voltage generated by this current. This cuts out completely voltage generated by poor contacts or leads.

Its not necessary to use a particularly large current - modern amplifiers are capable of accurately measuring very small offset voltages, and you are measuring a true differential voltage here that makes it a lot easier.

The last 'trick' which would add a little to the cost of what I have so far described a very simple cheap instrument, would be if it did in fact turn out to be too difficult to measure the offset voltage accurately due to offset noise in the amplifier. In this case you instead use an alternating current to perform the measurement and a synchronous decode to accurately measure the offset voltage. Such a decoder will reject all other frequencies including DC so that you only have the signal you want. I dont think this would be required, but it could be.

I can see that provided that you were happy to have an instrument that effectively only measured one size of gold bar, it would be very easy to devlop such an instrument. How could it be made more general purpose (to cater for many different sizes?). Not sure. To compare the same sized gold bar, its essential to have the contacts in the same place.

Indeed perhaps the hardest part (really) is that if I did this you'd have to loan me a few genuine bars to calibrate it! (As well as the fake!)

If there IS anyone who wants such an instrument I do actually have relevant experience to develop such a thing and am looking for work right now. Please PM me. It wont be cheap for a 1-off instrument, but it WILL work (I'd do a better feasibility study first. and it could save you a small fortune!! ) It would also be pretty interesting in that I have never heard of such an instrument but am pretty sure I could make one.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 11:59:59 AM

uhhhh, skin effect?
That's only for AC of sufficiently high frequency, DC measurement should be fine.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 01:14:42 AM

uhhhh, skin effect?
That's only for AC of sufficiently high frequency, DC measurement should be fine.

I guess you are right...but good grief, how much current are we talking to saturate a bar?

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 06:06:47 AM

uhhhh, skin effect?

I guess you are right...but good grief, how much current are we talking to saturate a bar?
IANAE but you don't "saturate" a bar. You apply a known voltage V and measure the current I, the resistance is R=V/I, you compare this against the resistance of a good gold bar (measured or calculated). You can do it with low current if you can measure things accurately enough.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:32:52 AM

uhhhh, skin effect?

IANAE but you don't "saturate" a bar. You apply a known voltage V and measure the current I, the resistance is R=V/I, you compare this against the resistance of a good gold bar (measured or calculated). You can do it with low current if you can measure things accurately enough.

Make a couple assumptions here, but from Wikipedia an average size of a Good Delivery gold bar is 250mmx70mmx35mm. The resistivity of gold is 22.14nOhm*m.
(22.14nOhm*m)*(.25m)/((0.07m)*(0.035m)) = 2259nOhm = 2.26uOhm

If you had a bar of the same dimensions that was tungsten covered with a 5mm layer of gold, the bar would have an end to end resistance of 3.44uOhm.

Something like this micrometer should be able to measure the difference reasonably well.
mintymark

Activity: 286
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 09:44:53 AM

Using low frequency AC and a 4 terminal resistance would work well, but there is an even better way to do this.

Use transformer with an airgap. (Operating around 50/60 Hz. Negligible skin effect at 50Hz.) A sheet of conducting metal inserted in the gap acts as shorted "turn" in the secondary of the transformer. The energy lost is detectable in the primary and is proprtional to the thickness of the metal and inversly so to its resistivity. So I believe that you could calibrate such an instrument in millimetres of gold and, well if it was actually mainly tungsten, then the reading would show as having a thickness of about one-fifth that observed in fact.

Certain assumptions need to be made about resistive and magnetic losses in the the core, the size of the airgap, the flux that does not go through the coin etc, but such an instrument could be made. It has to be designed correctly in short. And if it had an airgap 1cm by 1cm by 1cm this would allow its use on coins (there is a whole factory making fake tungsten gold coins in china, and has been for ten years so we have not seen the end of this!!) as well as 10oz bars. This seems to me much better than we previously discussed since it allows a measurement to be made without spiky contacts on your expensive polished gold bar, and it allows you to make a measurement even if you have not got a genuine bar to test against. You need a set of calipers and this instrument: thats all. In fact you can probably do it by eye anyway!! If your gold bar is 5mm thick and the instrument shows its thickness as 1mm, its tungsten!!

The most difficult part of the prototype is finding a suitable transformer type core that I can either hacksaw an airgap in. It needs to be laminated for low eddy-current loss at 50Hz.

[[ All Tips gratefully received!!  ]]
15ta5d1N8mKkgC47SRWmnZABEFyP55RrqD
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: