Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:39:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SCAMMER ALERT] FAKE Bittrex-Richie || 360 CLAMs stolen || Just-Dice.com  (Read 1296 times)
cryptotipz (OP)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2015, 09:20:14 PM

Hi all,

To my friends from Just-Dice who know me as KingDice, and to those on this forum and my followers on Twitter:@cryptotipz, I would like to bring alert to a scammer that has been getting away with scamming dozens of people, of whom I fell victim to a couple weeks ago. He goes under the name "bittrex-richie" on Just-Dice.com time to time, and he's also on IRC on several channels. I even spotted him in the #bittrex channel under the name "bittrex-richle" << notice the "l" instead of "i." Very discrete, very subtle. He is NOT to be confused with the genuine bittrex-richie who works for Bittrex exchange. Having said that, I agreed to trade with this user, 360 CLAMs for 2.14 BTC, and having known the name bittrex-richie, and after he posted screenshots of his BTC balance in BTC-e to withdraw, I foolishly fell into this scam and sent him 360 CLAMs first. Here is a link to the conversation that happened between us on Just-Dice, I was under the account "QueenDice" while he was under the name "bittrex-richie"

Chat exchange: http://pastie.org/10247792

I was able to notify Dooglus and he graciously contacted Bittrex on behalf of me, however Bittrex REFUSED to disclose whether that was or was not an address of theirs, that is the address I had sent the 360 CLAMs to. Later on, interestingly, my account QueenDice on Just-Dice was hacked and the same bittrex-richie tried to exploit some other members of the community with no luck. I'm not sure how or why my account was compromised, but I did not have 2FA on it and a few days prior I had forgot the "/" before verifying my identity on IRC, thus exposing my password. Beaware of Bittrex-Richie in the IRC, in Just-Dice, and other dice sites. His IP shows that he lives in Serbia according to Dooglus and I want to let everyone know to be careful and not fall into the same trap I did, foolishly. It was my mistake and I've paid the consequences and suffered a loss here.

I hope this post is helpful to bring awareness to Bittrex-Richie, other scammers, and why using an escrow is a great option if you don't know whom you are trading with.

- @cryptotipz

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:18:46 AM

Hi all,

To my friends from Just-Dice who know me as KingDice, and to those on this forum and my followers on Twitter:@cryptotipz, I would like to bring alert to a scammer that has been getting away with scamming dozens of people, of whom I fell victim to a couple weeks ago. He goes under the name "bittrex-richie" on Just-Dice.com time to time, and he's also on IRC on several channels. I even spotted him in the #bittrex channel under the name "bittrex-richle" << notice the "l" instead of "i." Very discrete, very subtle. He is NOT to be confused with the genuine bittrex-richie who works for Bittrex exchange. Having said that, I agreed to trade with this user, 360 CLAMs for 2.14 BTC, and having known the name bittrex-richie, and after he posted screenshots of his BTC balance in BTC-e to withdraw, I foolishly fell into this scam and sent him 360 CLAMs first. Here is a link to the conversation that happened between us on Just-Dice, I was under the account "QueenDice" while he was under the name "bittrex-richie"

I was able to notify Dooglus and he graciously contacted Bittrex on behalf of me, however Bittrex REFUSED to disclose whether that was or was not an address of theirs, that is the address I had sent the 360 CLAMs to. Later on, interestingly, my account QueenDice on Just-Dice was hacked and the same bittrex-richie tried to exploit some other members of the community with no luck. I'm not sure how or why my account was compromised, but I did not have 2FA on it and a few days prior I had forgot the "/" before verifying my identity on IRC, thus exposing my password. Beaware of Bittrex-Richie in the IRC, in Just-Dice, and other dice sites. His IP shows that he lives in Serbia according to Dooglus and I want to let everyone know to be careful and not fall into the same trap I did, foolishly. It was my mistake and I've paid the consequences and suffered a loss here.

I hope this post is helpful to bring awareness to Bittrex-Richie, other scammers, and why using an escrow is a great option if you don't know whom you are trading with.

- @cryptotipz

I believe he also has the bittrex-richie@gmail.com email address and has used that to scam people as well. He also changes his name to impersonate trusted people, and it seems to work surprisingly well for him.

When someone approaches you claiming to be me, please don't send them your money. They probably aren't me. Have them log in to the (1) account at Just-Dice if you have any doubt. And as far as I know the real bittrex-richie doesn't hang around the JD chat offering to promote your favourite altcoin on his exchange if you pay him some Bitcoins. Always use a trusted escrow when trading.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
mullick
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 08:01:03 AM

Hi all,

- @cryptotipz

This is not a Cryptsy deposit address. I would try Poloniex. Sorry to hear about your loss
peligro

Activity: 593
Merit: 500

1NoBanksLuJPXf8Sc831fPqjrRpkQPKkEA

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 10:47:17 AM

Did you have the same password on irc like on just-dice and this was how he could get into?

Sorry to hear. I hope he couldn't steal even more on your just-dice account.

It's a pity the community is infested with persons of that character. You really need to use an escrow for every $10 transaction. Otherwise you will get scammed. It's laughable but true.

Hi all,

- @cryptotipz
cryptotipz (OP)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 12:17:22 PM

Hi all,

- @cryptotipz

This is not a Cryptsy deposit address. I would try Poloniex. Sorry to hear about your loss

I don't think its Poloniex either, and Bittrex won't comment if its there's or not.. but by now its probably too late. Just hope no one else falls for this again.
prospecta

Activity: 729
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 08:42:56 PM

I just don't understand how people fall for this stuff...

After I am done with you, you will be banned from ever being on the internet again or even owning a PC
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 11:09:45 AM

I don't think its Poloniex either, and Bittrex won't comment if its there's or not.. but by now its probably too late. Just hope no one else falls for this again.

I contacted poloniex and bittrex immediately.

Poloniex very quickly told me it wasn't their address.

Bittrex were very unhelpful and eventually told me:

Your request (...) has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email.

Bill   
Bill (Bittrex)
Jun 24, 21:02

Hi Chris,

Could you encourage that user to contact the appropriate authorities to conduct an investigation?

Thanks,
Bill

I think when they say it "has been solved" they mean it "hasn't been solved but please go away". They never would even tell me whether they owned the address the stolen coins were sent to or not.

I hadn't tried their customer support until then, but this was all the experience I needed to know that I should withdraw my balances ASAP.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 11:52:26 AM

That is kind of dooglus to help you out with this, I only wish for your sake that you had contacted dooglus in the first place to escrow your trade between you and the scammer (he probably would have).

Either way, that sucks and I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck catching the scamming bastard.

To anyone reading this- Please (for your sake) use escrow for large trades or at the very least break the amounts up to multiple lower-value trades. It takes under 1 minute to send a crypto transaction usually, so it should be no problem for a legitimate trader to trade the total amount in several smaller trades. If they object to this, that may be a warning sign.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 12:22:44 PM

*lol* dooglus speaks... and bittrex will go down because everyone withdraws. Tongue

I guess a not enough educated support person can create bad press pretty quick.

Too bad there is no walletexplorer.com for clams.

I contacted poloniex and bittrex immediately.

Poloniex very quickly told me it wasn't their address.

Bittrex were very unhelpful and eventually told me:

Your request (...) has been solved. To reopen this request, reply to this email.

Bill   
Bill (Bittrex)
Jun 24, 21:02

Hi Chris,

Could you encourage that user to contact the appropriate authorities to conduct an investigation?

Thanks,
Bill

I think when they say it "has been solved" they mean it "hasn't been solved but please go away". They never would even tell me whether they owned the address the stolen coins were sent to or not.

I hadn't tried their customer support until then, but this was all the experience I needed to know that I should withdraw my balances ASAP.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 02:00:56 AM

That is kind of dooglus to help you out with this, I only wish for your sake that you had contacted dooglus in the first place to escrow your trade between you and the scammer (he probably would have).

I have added an escrow function to Just-Dice now. See the FAQ tab for details - search for "escrow" in there.

Apparently the support person was parroting the official company policy. xploited (CLAM dev) tells me he spoke to bittrex-richie (the real one!) who told him that their lawyers won't let them comment on whether they control particular crypto addresses or not. Which sucks, but at least it's not the support person's fault.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 03:02:58 AM

Apparently the support person was parroting the official company policy. xploited (CLAM dev) tells me he spoke to bittrex-richie (the real one!) who told him that their lawyers won't let them comment on whether they control particular crypto addresses or not. Which sucks, but at least it's not the support person's fault.
There are a number of wallet explorers that tag which Bitcoin addresses belong to semi-major sites/exchanges/ect, I don't see why someone couldn't do a similar analysis for CLAMs or at least for their CLAM addresses. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to find the majority of their CLAM addresses with blockchain analysis.
dooglus
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 03:30:34 AM

There are a number of wallet explorers that tag which Bitcoin addresses belong to semi-major sites/exchanges/ect, I don't see why someone couldn't do a similar analysis for CLAMs or at least for their CLAM addresses. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to find the majority of their CLAM addresses with blockchain analysis.

That's a good idea. Any idea whether any of them are open source or open to adding new coins?

None of the CLAM block explorers that I am aware of do the address clustering / labelling thing.

██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 03:43:46 AM

That's a good idea. Any idea whether any of them are open source or open to adding new coins?

None of the CLAM block explorers that I am aware of do the address clustering / labelling thing.
I don't believe that they are open source, and it is possible that they would be open to adding new coins. The one that I primarily use is walletexplorer.com. The owner/dev of walletexplorer appears to be  and his email address appears to be "ales.janda zavináč kyblsoft.cz" which I would presume would translate to ales.janda@kyblsoft.cz however I am not certain.

Depending on how much volume goes to their site, and if there are any coin-join like services for CLAM, it might be possible to to a spend-link analysis manually with the address provided by the OP. However even if it were to be assumed that the address in question belongs to Bittrex, I am not sure what exactly the next step would be, as AFAIK they do not require any kind of identity verification so someone could potentially create a brand-new account to deposit funds to then sell the CLAM for something like  bitcoin-dark and/or bitcoin (and use a mixing service and/or coinjoin service) which would make it nearly impossible to trace the coins.
PenguinFire

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 03:58:48 AM

I just don't understand how people fall for this stuff...

He either man.  I guess it is similar to have some people fall for targeted online ads.  I have all ads blocked while my grandmother probably makes at least a purchase a week with a referral from an ad.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 08:27:12 AM

I don't believe that they are open source, and it is possible that they would be open to adding new coins. The one that I primarily use is walletexplorer.com. The owner/dev of walletexplorer appears to be  and his email address appears to be "ales.janda zavináč kyblsoft.cz" which I would presume would translate to ales.janda@kyblsoft.cz however I am not certain.

Depending on how much volume goes to their site, and if there are any coin-join like services for CLAM, it might be possible to to a spend-link analysis manually with the address provided by the OP. However even if it were to be assumed that the address in question belongs to Bittrex, I am not sure what exactly the next step would be, as AFAIK they do not require any kind of identity verification so someone could potentially create a brand-new account to deposit funds to then sell the CLAM for something like  bitcoin-dark and/or bitcoin (and use a mixing service and/or coinjoin service) which would make it nearly impossible to trace the coins.

Youre right, its ales.janda@kyblsoft.cz and the guy is really nice and helpful. He implemented some tips i gave him pretty fast and other things.

Im sure he will help you setting something up, though i dont know if there is a free script of that kind somewhere.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: