Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:05:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit long term reliability?  (Read 1886 times)
hodedowe (OP)

Activity: 359
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 06:17:16 PM

I just upgraded to MultiBit (I know, I know) and I see that it stores your BTC in a wallet and that it has to talk to a server to get updated. I've been burned by "cloud" software before, so does anyone know if the Multibit server goes down or they go out of business if my wallet will still operate properly?

I'd hate to lose >20 BTC because Mr. Multibit didn't pay his server bill this month Cheesy

Solo mining is alive and profitable!
Helped? Thanks! 1CXRFh4bDVFBsUzoHMMDbTMPcBP14RUTus

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 06:54:37 PM

multibit server? i think you have some confusion there, multibit is just a light version of the client Core, multibit operate with nodes(and you are one of those nodes), there isn't a centralized server to which you connect
GoingAround

Activity: 476
Merit: 252

ImmVRse | Disrupting the VR industry

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:53:07 PM

There's no cloud, you can always export your privatekey to other client and use your bitcoins.

▄▄█████▄▄
▄█████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀

████          ████  ███████████▄▄                                
▀███▄        ▄███▀  █████████████▄                               
██    ▄███▄     ▄███▄      ▄███▄     ▄███▄   ████        ████            ▀████    ▄██████████▄     ▄██████████
██    ██ ██     ██ ██      ██ ██     ██ ██    ████      ████             ▄████   ██▀        ▀██   ██▀        
██   ██   ██   ██   ██    ██   ██   ██   ██   ▀███▄    ▄███▀    █████████████▀   ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██   ██   ██   ██   ██    ██   ██   ██   ██    ████    ████     ███████████▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██  ██     ██ ██     ██  ██     ██ ██     ██    ████  ████      ████   ████      ██▄        ▄██   ██▄        
██  ██     ▀███▀     ██  ██     ▀███▀     ██    ▀███▄▄███▀      ████    ████      ▀██████████▀     ▀██████████
████████       ████     ████                                
██████        ████      ████                                

WHITEPAPER    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
APPLY FOR CROWDSALE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    BITCOINTALK

Proud Sponsor of
Blockchain 360 at
London Tech Week
  ◢  FACEBOOK
◢  TWITTER
◢  TELEGRAM
◢  MEDIUM
hodedowe (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 07:57:02 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, I thought when it said "Synchronizing" that it was syncing with the multibit server somewhere. Glad to see that's not true.

Thura

Activity: 60
Merit: 5

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 04:36:32 AM

The MultiBit(HD) client tries to lookup on the MultiBit HTTP(S) server if there is a new software version, and looks up for help pages. If the MultiBit HTTP(S) server is down, You can still use Your MultiBit(HD) client.

You can see what happened the last time when the multibit.org site was down and an explanation by Jim from MultiBit here.

I think You could simulate and test that also by blocking the IP address that resolves from multibit.org in Your computers firewall.
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 08:37:49 AM

The commenters on the MultiBit architecture are correct.

MultiBit HD connects directly to Bitcoin Core/XT nodes to:
+ get transaction data
+ send transactions

It connects to multibit.org for various housekeeping things but fails over and keeps going if multibit.org is down.
Specifically:
+ it checks a file on multibit.org to see if there is a new version(no multibit.org = no upgrade notification)
+ it gets the help from multibit.org (fails over to a local copy of the help - it'll be a bit out of date but no big deal)
+ if you create a new wallet it does a BRIT exchange to get a list of fee addresses (fails over to a hardwired list).

In V0.1.1 you no longer will see an annoying 'MultiBit HD - internet connection' dialog if our server is down - we've fixed that.

tl;dr; If the multibit.org server goes down you can carry on using MultiBit HD for all your bitcoin related tasks.

Blocking multibit.org in your firewall would be a good way to simulate that yes if you wanted to test it. Please unblock it once you've run the test ! :-)

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
bitcoinmasterlord
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 12:57:04 PM

+ get transaction data
+ send transactions

So where is this node? It's a server isn't it? I know that the server can't spend the coins but still, he knows all addresses in that wallet, right? Its similar to electrum as long as iam not wrong.

So theoretically i see a risk.
hodedowe (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:00:20 PM

The "node" he's talking about is the bitcoin network of servers, not Multibit.

Thanks Jim, I get it now. Now if only you'd make it so we can solo mine against Multibit Cheesy

TLDR: Still using Multibit.

sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
July 03, 2015, 01:08:18 PM

I just upgraded to MultiBit (I know, I know) and I see that it stores your BTC in a wallet and that it has to talk to a server to get updated. I've been burned by "cloud" software before, so does anyone know if the Multibit server goes down or they go out of business if my wallet will still operate properly?

I'd hate to lose >20 BTC because Mr. Multibit didn't pay his server bill this month Cheesy

As long as you have your private keys, it does not matter what wallet you use.
So no need to panic. Just export your private keys and store them safely. Also print them on paper and store safely.

As long as you have your private keys, you can always recover your Bitcoins using numerous other wallets even if Multibit goes out of existence.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2015, 02:38:29 PM

+ get transaction data
+ send transactions

So where is this node? It's a server isn't it? I know that the server can't spend the coins but still, he knows all addresses in that wallet, right? Its similar to electrum as long as iam not wrong.

Nodes are not servers, they are Bitcoin Core/XT clients which opened inbound connections. See https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node.

bitcoinmasterlord
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2015, 03:22:34 PM

+ get transaction data
+ send transactions

Nodes are not servers, they are Bitcoin Core/XT clients which opened inbound connections. See https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node.

Oh, right... i don't know how i forgot what it meant. Tongue

But Multibit doesn't store the blockchain, so still nobody except the multibit wallet knows all the addresses in that wallet?

It's different to electrum where the servers practically know all the addresses in a electrum wallet?

Sorry for asking you out. Smiley
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2015, 05:05:27 PM

Oh, right... i don't know how i forgot what it meant. Tongue

But Multibit doesn't store the blockchain,

Electrum does not store the blockchain too.

so still nobody except the multibit wallet knows all the addresses in that wallet?

No. An attacker can know, if not all, most of your addresses but I don't know if Multibit is using a modified BitcoinJ which solves this problem.

It's different to electrum where the servers practically know all the addresses in a electrum wallet?

Yes but Multibit's connections to nodes are unecrypted which is far less secure than Electrum's connections. You can add some watch-only addresses which do not belong to you to create false-positive.

Sorry for asking you out. Smiley

No problem.

bitcoinmasterlord
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 12:16:36 PM

Thanks for explaining to me Muhammed Zakir. I didn't know that Multibit has unencrypted traffic. :O

But i think electrum is more dangerous. I mean an attacker only would need to set up a server and he would get all the wallet addresses. Im not sure if a wallet needs to connect to him first but the auto connect is enabled by default. And when it's disabled then im still not sure if electrum isn't sometimes connecting to the other servers.

So i think electrum is a mess anonymitywise.
nonbody

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

2local[IEO] - https://2local.io/

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 12:19:18 PM

no servers, i have been using it for the past year and have had only one problem... my payment from genesis mining didn't come through for a week, turns out it was genesis mining not the wallet Cheesy

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌
██████▀▐███████████████
░░▀███░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

2local
Sustainability and Prosperity.
Pre sale is going on
...J O I N...
...Whitepaper...
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌

I   E   O IN Livecoin.net  Probit  P2pPb2b from 11/02/2020
2local Sale
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 01:18:51 PM
Last edit: July 08, 2015, 03:49:05 PM by jim618

Thanks for explaining to me Muhammed Zakir. I didn't know that Multibit has unencrypted traffic. :O

But i think electrum is more dangerous. I mean an attacker only would need to set up a server and he would get all the wallet addresses. Im not sure if a wallet needs to connect to him first but the auto connect is enabled by default. And when it's disabled then im still not sure if electrum isn't sometimes connecting to the other servers.

All the traffic to and from Bitcoin Core nodes (and between them when they relay transactions) is unencrypted.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 01:54:43 PM

See jim618's above post.

You can choose an Electrum server manually and to create false-positive, you can add watch-only addresses to your Electrum. Nonetheless, both Multibit and Electrum has its own downsides. You will have to make right choice.

http://www.thomasmonaco.com/electrum-vs-multibit-bitcoin-thin-client-comparison/ maybe helpful. Note that, this article compares Multibit Classic and Electrum not Multibit HD.

hodedowe (OP)

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 08:51:12 PM

Wait, so Electrum isn't secure?

Say you wanted to put your retirement savings into BTC, like for instance you live in Greece... Putting it in an Electrum Wallet with the cold storage guide here isn't "set-it and forget it" secure?

IF that's true then the guys at Bitcoin need to get their butts together to better prevent theft or cryptocurrency will never take off as a replacement for fiat on any scale that makes it feasible.

edited for readability. Brain gets ahead of fingers sometimes. Smiley

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 12:11:25 PM

Wait, so Electrum isn't secure?

Say you wanted to put your retirement savings into BTC, like for instance you live in Greece... Putting it in an Electrum Wallet with the cold storage guide here isn't "set-it and forget it" secure?

IF that's true then the guys at Bitcoin need to get their butts together to better prevent theft or cryptocurrency will never take off as a replacement for fiat on any scale that makes it feasible.

edited for readability. Brain gets ahead of fingers sometimes. Smiley

Electrum is[/is] secure and so does, Multibit.

bitcoinmasterlord
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 05:52:40 PM

See jim618's above post.

You can choose an Electrum server manually and to create false-positive, you can add watch-only addresses to your Electrum. Nonetheless, both Multibit and Electrum has its own downsides. You will have to make right choice.

http://www.thomasmonaco.com/electrum-vs-multibit-bitcoin-thin-client-comparison/ maybe helpful. Note that, this article compares Multibit Classic and Electrum not Multibit HD.

What do you mean with false positives?

The thing is that you never know who is behind an electrum server. Could be someone who wants to know what addresses are in certain wallets and wants to do whatever with it.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 07:22:37 PM

-snip-
What do you mean with false positives?

Adding someone elses bitcoin address (as watch only ofc) will create wrong assumptions when someone wants to detect which address are yours and how much bitcoin you have.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: