Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:38:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Speculation: Greece abandons the euro and adopts bitcoin  (Read 1433 times)
BTCtrader71

Activity: 784
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 06:31:04 AM

Last week banks needed to open to serve thousands of pensioners who don't have debit cards and don't know how to use an ATM.  How do you think people like this will go with concepts such as 'blockchain', 'mining', 'where does a bitcoin  come from?'

The adoption of bitcoin will be a gradual process, just like any technology. The fact that Granny doesn't use ATMs or debit cards doesn't mean the country's not ready for ATMs or debit cards. Likewise for bitcoin: you'll have early adopters, mid adopters, late adopters, and never-adopters. It will be a parallel currency (not the ONLY currency) so it's OK that not everyone will use it.

BTC: 14oTcy1DNEXbcYjzPBpRWV11ZafWxNP8EU
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 09:35:28 AM

Last week banks needed to open to serve thousands of pensioners who don't have debit cards and don't know how to use an ATM.  How do you think people like this will go with concepts such as 'blockchain', 'mining', 'where does a bitcoin  come from?'

The adoption of bitcoin will be a gradual process, just like any technology. The fact that Granny doesn't use ATMs or debit cards doesn't mean the country's not ready for ATMs or debit cards. Likewise for bitcoin: you'll have early adopters, mid adopters, late adopters, and never-adopters. It will be a parallel currency (not the ONLY currency) so it's OK that not everyone will use it.

Yes, bitcoin should never aim to be a monopoly on money, it should be freely competing with other forms of money, in open fair and free way. Last thing we want is governments forcing us to use bitcoin, it would be an unmitigated disaster. People will resist going completely electronic especially if it is forced on them, including some bitcoin diehards like me. There will always be room for the oldest forms of money, such as physical silver coins which are extremely depressed in value right now but one day may also roam free to find fair value as money.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 10:46:09 AM

The biggest problem with this scenario really is the fact that they would have to *buy* the BTC that are supposed to go into circulation. You can't just go and issue imaginary BTC created out of thin air, you know...

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1512

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:07:31 AM

Many citizens are already switching to Bitcoin meaning they price should go up. We've seen a bit of a spike averaging 20-30 USD which I see is a result of Greece and its failing economy. I predict the price of BTC should make a sharp increase as days go on (or as Greece and other EU nations start to cripple financially).
greBit

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 04:09:48 PM

Many citizens are already switching to Bitcoin meaning they price should go up. We've seen a bit of a spike averaging 20-30 USD which I see is a result of Greece and its failing economy. I predict the price of BTC should make a sharp increase as days go on (or as Greece and other EU nations start to cripple financially).

The positive spike is a result of the media attention bitcoin is sharing, very very few Greeks are using bitcoin, so few itself know about the existence of bitcoin. Considering their economy also does not support the infrastructure to use bitcoin, there is no way that Greece and Bitcoin could synchronize to work together atleast for a couple of years. Sorry for busting a couple bubbles here, but let's keep it real
JarvisTechnology

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 06:08:12 PM

This kind of speculation is impractial,way too impractical. Greece did abandon euros but adopting bitcoin is a different thing.People need to look at things with more pragmatic approach . They can't just sit back and make the assumptions. Things look easy when said ,but they're not.Trust me , they are not. Not is Greece case though.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: